Weird sound coming from PSU?

Associate
Just built myself a new relatively silent PC, everything's running fine so far, although a sound starting to hum/stutter from my pc the other day. Thought it was my HDD at first, but I'm quite confident it's the psu, I've disconnected all my HDD's and temporarily stopped all my fans and the sound is still there.

The noise being:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42474804/Voice 001.m4a

The PSU I'm using is a Corsair TX650, oddly enough the sound seems to stop when the fan in the PSU powers on. I wouldnt mind if it was any other sound but it's like someones sat behind you tapping your head constantly!

Is there anything I could do, or is this something I'll have to put up with?

Associate
Definitely not the GPU? Too old to return as unwanted? The TX series is going out of production - shame you didn't purchase the RM series.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No the fan isn't even on 90% of the time, I think that's a feature of the TX series? When the fan powers on it, the noise seems to stop though.

I've updated my sig to add my current build, everything is new apart from my CPU cooler and CPU.

I'm quite sure it isn't my GPU as to it seems to be coming from my PSU area, the GPU is at the otherside of the case and going by ear it definitely doesn't seem to be the problem.

edit: sig doesnt seem to have been added.

Intel i7 2600k @ Stock | Noctua NH-D14 | 77M-D3H K2 | ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II |
Creative Titanium HD | 128gb OCZ Agility | 64gb Crucial M4 |
1TB Samsung F3 | Corsair TX650 | BitFenix Prodigy M | AEGO M 2.1

Associate
From another thread, possibly the same cause:

If this is the corsair gs600 PSU then that noise will happen due to the low rpm fan as corsair have said. Apparently due to the fact that the fan rarely spins the noise is coming from the fan bearings and motor trying to kick in.

Back
Top Bottom