Weirdest pizza delivery ever - Card purchase question

Soldato
Go complain to Pizza Hut and get a free pizza.

And don't worry about the card possibly being used there isn't really anything he can do with it. Give your bank a call and ask them to watch your account but they'll probably just end up trying to order you a new card out.

Plus aren't foreced to have Chip & Pin in. If a store doesn't have chip and pin in and the shop is out of pocket because of a stolen card then they are no covered at all by the bank, as it's up to them now if they don't accept chip and pin.

Associate
Scuzi said:
Should I inform my bank or was it perfectly fine?
You are in the right. There is no need to inform the bank and ignore the delivery driver. Hell, I'll complain to Pizza Hut about the driver. No one has the right to enter your property without your consent (unless it is the police with a warrant). Also, make it clear to Pizza Hut that their staff need to be trained. No customer should expect such dodgy services.

Chip & Pin has nothing to do with orders placed when customer are paying over the phone, via the Internet, etc... Chip & Pin can only be used if the customer is present and paying with:
- A Chip & Pin card at a retailer with equipment that supports Chip & Pin

Chip & Pin does not work for:
- Old style cards that have the chip but doesn't support Chip & Pin (these customers should be getting their new cards soon as, IIRC, Chip & Pin will be compulsory soon)
- Foreign card holders (a customer of mine had her card rejected at an Indian restaurant as it didn't have Chip & Pin support, she's Australian, holds a foreign VISA credit card but due to the lack of staff training, the staff at the restaurant caused an argument with her, treating her like a criminal :confused: )
- Cardholders who are disabled or are under exceptional circumstances where they are issued Chip & Signature cards
- Cardholders who have a Chip & Pin card but pay at a retailer who has yet to upgrade their equipment

If paying by phone, security implementations should already be in place where customers paying over the phone will be asked security questions which are inputted onto the card machine and verified, e.g. three digit security code (I know for a fact HSBC has this as I use a HSBC terminal on a daily basis). To make it plain and simple, the staff at Pizza Hut or whoever is having difficulties with Chip & Pin haven't been given the proper training. Orders placed over the phone under CNP (Customer Not Present) does not require a signature, the same goes for Internet orders.

Chip & Pin has been publicly "enforced" (I use this term lightly) but it can still be bypassed only at the manager's discretion (the use of a supervisor card is needed, yet again bank/terminal dependent) unless the retailer hasn't upgraded the card equipment to Chip & Pin. It isn't wise for me to mention this but what is there to hide :p However, this isn't an excuse for you to make when shopping and not knowing your PIN. If you hold a Chip & Pin card and don't know you PIN, you won't be able to pay, make as much excuses as you want but the retailer has every right to refuse to serve you. Some banks (such as Halifax) haven't even got the Chip & Pin fully functional and customers using their cards without Chip & Pin facility will have to sign.

Last edited:

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Ex-RoNiN said:
Signatures are no longer valid, all stores must have implemented chip&pin by the 14th of feb.

That's what I thought but every time I use my company barclaycard (which is a chip and pin card - they sent me a new one) I'm asked to sign. Last time I used it was 2 days ago.

Delivery man did seem a little rude but it's possible he could have been not thinking straight for some reason. Perhaps this was his second job and he'd just come off of a double shift at his first.

Soldato
To chip in on the 'signatures valid/not valid argument', all DSG companys' tills still print out a signature strip most the time if you get the pin wrong three times in a row.

fini

Associate
Signatures are still a pefectly valid way of authorising a purchase, it is just at the retailers discretion. By excepting a signature from a chip&pin card, the retailer cannot pass on the cost of any associated fraud to the bank. It comes out of their till. Hence many retailers are not to keen on letting you sign.

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
Last night i tried to order on the phone from Domino's and they refused! Apaprently with Chip and Pin thing means they no longer take orders over the phone. I would use the net but they don't have the same deal as the store, nor can you make half and half toppings on a net Order. I ended up having to walk and pay for it, when i got back the pizza was barely warm since it was so cold outside and they don't have any plastic bags big enough to put the box it.

I had a pizza from dominos last nite, paid over the phone with my card, no problems at all.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Its wierd that places dont let you order with a card. Over here we can order over the phone with a card and when they bring the reciept it is as though you were at the store and paid for it using your card there. The paper has a little line requiring your signiture. When I order using a card they only ask for the number and expiration date. I would never get the security number over the phone.

If chip and pin is mandidtory than deliverers should carry around mobile authorizing devices.

Back
Top Bottom