Welcome to the Fold Berserker

Soldato
I've just joined the team - it's for a good cause and seemed to be the right thing to do, what with my father being diagnosed with cancer and all. I'll get my [email protected] running running it all day when i'm at work and I'll get round to adding a [email protected] as well when I can get a gig of emmory for it.

Soldato
welcome to the team Trick - so sorry to hear about your father

F@H are starting to get some very promising results and have already made a good start towards understanding some forms of cancer - it will be slow progress but the more people we can get interested in the project the better it will be for everyone

there's no need to wait for extra memory for your barton (well unless it has none) i run F@H on a rig with only 256MB just fine, the rest of my rigs only use 512MB which allows them to get the larger WUs that are available - if you are worried about Folding taking too much memory then simply leave the "enable large WUs" option disabled and you shouldn't notice much affect on system performance at all

Associate
Trick - sorry about your father - I do hope they can treat it. I know a few people who have had cancer and one - although worrying everyone for a year or so - seems to be fine now.

One of the reasons I Fold.

Shaun

Associate
Good to see more new users. Sorry to hear about your father, Trick. I hope he pulls through this.

Seems like we a pulling away ever so slightly from ****, and production is increasing.

diogenese, my 2500+ at stock takes around 3 days to do a 600 pointer.

Cheers.
Steve.

Soldato
rich99million said:
there's no need to wait for extra memory for your barton (well unless it has none) i run F@H on a rig with only 256MB just fine, the rest of my rigs only use 512MB which allows them to get the larger WUs that are available - if you are worried about Folding taking too much memory then simply leave the "enable large WUs" option disabled and you shouldn't notice much affect on system performance at all

I've robbed the Barton's memort for my a64 so currently its not remembering a thing. I'll order some for ocuk on monday. I'm running the command line version at the mo but for some reason when it first started it never asked if I'd like to install it as a service, as the 'Folding How to' link says it would. Any idea how to get this to happen?

Soldato
Trick said:
I'm running the command line version at the mo but for some reason when it first started it never asked if I'd like to install it as a service, as the 'Folding How to' link says it would. Any idea how to get this to happen?
hmmm that is odd - as long as you downloaded the correct version v5.02 for Windows NT/2000/XP then you should be given the option

as berserker says run it with the -config flag and it should run through the options again for you :)

edit: if it turns out you did get the wrong version some how you can just download the v5.02 into the Folding@Home directory and it will convert the work done already without losing any progress already made

Soldato
Cheers chaps. I must've been a muppet and not run it with the -config flag. It's fine now and installed as a service. Can I just confirm that it'll not interfrere with other apps running at all and really will only use cpu cycles when nothing else is going on? I don't like the idea of it bottle-necking games/encoding, etc...

Man of Honour
If you set it to run at idle as per the instructions, then it can't get any more out of the way then that. The only exception would be if you allowed it to download big memory workunits and Windows started running low on memory (might get a bit of lag while Windows swapped stuff in/out of memory).

Soldato
Ok, thanks for the reply. I've set it to run as idle and asked it not to accept large workunits since I don't want all my ram hogged.

Soldato
A quick question if I may. In the 'How to', what does the line "Edit the imagepath entry for the folding service to include the -forceasm -verbosity 9" do? I've done it in any case, cos the How to said so!

Soldato
Berserker said:
Hmm - this thread's kinda gotten off-topic. ;)

No problem. :D
yes indeed it has - it took longer than expected but with the hard work of several of us committed (oh we should be) folders it's now nicely off course :D

we could always put it back on track by saying welcome to all the new folders this week

Welcome...
dynabol 03.03.05
Buzwad 03.02.05
Gareth 03.01.05
_Berserker_ 02.28.05

well i'm guessing that Gareth is a new user and not yet another typo by Garrett/Garret/Garet :p
wow a new team member every day since Beserker joined the ranks - musta started something :D

edit: getting the names from the EOC team summary page, anyone not on there yet should show up a few hours after completing their first WU

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yaaarrrrh, foldy thingies ahoy. After being cast adrift at sea for days, there by stomps in sight.

I'd issue a PARP to those up to #57, but it's too late already. More STOMPS may be on the way - if not today, then soon. Folding power now 11.6 GHz. :D

EOC has updated, but it's already out-of-date even before the update happened. :eek:

Man of Honour
Oops - two more STOMPs. Sorry. Kinda hard to keep track of what the various foldy clients are up to (they're all service-based and I have no monitoring for them). I'm sure one of you foldy types might have a suggestion or two (monitoring all the PCs from one place would be my preference).

Back
Top Bottom