• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Well i had to be the first didnt i LOL 5870 Xfire ISSUE!

Soldato
OP
heh :D

well when i get it running, m8 i will post scores :D
i should get around 25-26 stock :D Xfire 5870s on vantage.

but for the life of me the info program that comes with that doesnt seem to work for me right it scans the system and should vanish after 15 seconds but it just doenst lol

i need to look into it becuse i dont think anyone on OCUK knows what im talking about heh

Associate
I'm sorry to be one of those smug dicks who doesn't help at all..

but i have 2x5870s and vantage ect working fine, im on a

Maximus formula
antec quadro 1kw
etc

have you install latest patch for vantage Virus? and i dread to ask but whats your psu?

Soldato
OP
Pc Power and cooling 910w 75a Powerfull Single Rail PSU

Yes installed latest patch.

the program that seems to be freezing on me is vantages detecting system hardware or info program

its a pickle, i need to find out cause its happened for a wile now nothing to do with the cards at all. its something else.

Soldato
Pc Power and cooling 910w 75a Powerfull Single Rail PSU

Yes installed latest patch.

the program that seems to be freezing on me is vantages detecting system hardware or info program

its a pickle, i need to find out cause its happened for a wile now nothing to do with the cards at all. its something else.
i had the same problem with my 4890s and my gtx 285s so its not your cards
i have never found out what causes vantage to freeze,ive tryed the patch, stock speeds on cpu gpu,reinstall vantage etc

Last edited:
Associate
My 5870 is doing the same with vantage - i get the initializing gpu screen then nothing (not too bothered tho as games are running sweet).

Im using pc power+cooling 910w as well.

bru

bru

Soldato
obviously its something youve got installed that is causeing the issue, and seeing as several others have had the sme issue i can only assume its somethingthat is fairly commonly installed. other than doing a fresh install and only installing drivers and vantage im not sure what to sugest.

maybe try it in a virtual machine and then install all the noraml stuff you have installed to see what it is that causes it to stop.

Soldato
*Looks at £600 in wallet*

Do I regret not buying one of these as an early adopter?

*Looks again at £600*

I wish you many problems with your card, only due to the fact you can fault find for all of us while new versions of the cards and drivers come out. You are fairly mad to plunge that much into a first release!

i would RMA if i was you :)

I don't think he can... Wouldn't suprise me if he has taken their virginity and got them all dirty given how excited he was before they arrived!

Soldato
OP
lol got to keep telling you guys the cards and drivers work perfect now it was the MSI drivers RC7 that has some issues probably why AMD/ATI didnt officialy release them

its a problem with something installed on my win7 system or something in my bios.
but i cant pinpoint the issue becuse there is no logs or debug or anything.

very strange issue lol

Soldato
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1458683&page=3

Has anyone been monitoring the discussion over on hardforum.

According to Unwinder, the author of RivaTuner, the issue with Crossfire misbehaving with CCC, Afterrburner and other utils is down to this new power saving technology ATI are using with slave cards which drops the clocks in windows, and it can be turned off by changing a registry setting to 0 (EnableUlps).

"Correct guess, it is indeed new power saving technology. In latest builds ATI are actively experimenting with so called ultra low power state crossfire mode. The main idea behind this technology is saving some more Watts due to completely shutting down slave graphics card(s) in CF mode. However, it really opens jar of worms in terms of software compatibility. Low-level hardware access tools (RT, GPU-Z, Everest etc) may act absolutely unpredictable when hardware is being disabled dynamically during access to it. So there can be hangs / crashes / false readings in lot of such tools. Driver-level hardware access tools (CCC, Afterburner, i.e. tools working with hardware via Catalyst) will also loose control on slave chips when this new power saving mode is enabled. So in nearest future CF users may expect a lot of troubles related to controlling slave GPUs.
By the way, as far as I know ATI left a way to disable this power saving mode - there is EnableUlps registry entry, which can be set to 0 to disable this "improvement""

Last edited:
Soldato
despite that ultra low power thingy not working just now i think its a good idea and once its working should save a fair bunch on your powerbills if they can get it cracked.

Soldato
OP
I fixed the issue guys with vantage system freezeing ect ect.

the system scanning software that comes with vantage and 3dmark o6 ect do not like my bluray drive

HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L ATA DEVICE.

for me to get vantage working and 06 i have to right click on device manager and disable this drive prior to running the benchmarking software ;)
then reenable once the test is finished. :)

those with the same issue if you have this drive then thats the cause.

i remember a wile ago getting bluescreens with this drive when booting from windows untill microsoft fixed it with a windows update.

Associate
omg! i swear you are addicted to benchin, you need help hehe. I've never bench any of my cards. As long they run my games smoothly with high framerate then I'm very much happy with it. I guess everyone is different.

Well, keep up the good tho.

andy

Caporegime
Why do people always talk about early adopters like they'll always have problems and if you wait a bit you won't. Thats just really not how hardware works, yes sometimes a new revision mobo comes out that fixes something, but just as often a new revision of a mobo comes out with a different fault.

Fact is we've got hundreds of faultless cards working on these forums alone. Mine had a minor issue which I fixed in minutes and all my games work absolutely perfectly.

The idea that cards bought a while after release, or anything bought after a while are problem free is ridiculous, when you look at new issues for people with almost any new driver for any part of their PC.

As would be shown by Virus2k, issue is with Vantage not liking his bluray, nowt to do with the gfx card at all, when using the only driver available directly on AMD's own website, his problem from his OP is gone.

Soldato
So I have my rig in sig finished below. Not overclocked yet. Am using the ATI drivers on AMD's site (I assume they are R7). Should I wait until issues are solved before installing my 2nd 5870 ? And what are the best drivers to use currently for crossfire. Sorry, but I am a bit confused...rc6, rc7, and now beta drivers floating around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom