1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, I have a grill on my gpu and a grill on my case....

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by salami1212, 19 Feb 2006.

1. salami1212

Mobster

Should I keep them on, as I am overclocking and im not sure if keeping them on would increase my heat or not

thanks

2. _PD_

PermaBanned

Do you mean mesh, or wire guard?
    A guard should be ok, but mesh's do decrease airflow a tad.

3. salami1212

Mobster

um.. its something to stop dust getting in the case or in the gpu. should i keep them on?

4. _PD_

PermaBanned

That's a mesh, then.
    I would remove it, personally. But that's me, I don't have a particually cool case. I can't see it really limiting your overclock.
    If you do remove it, make sure you clear the dust out of your fans every couple of months.

5. salami1212

Mobster

k. cheers. I will probably just use a blower every couple of months and blow the air out. but first does anyone else agree with him so i can make sure to remove it
    thanks

6. monkeypants

Mobster

Yeah it'll be fine so long as you clean out the dust every so often. Personally I'd leave the case one in as that won't affect overclocking performance as much as removing the graphics card filter.

7. salami1212

Mobster

ive noticed tho that a lot of dust gets inside my case anyhow as there is 2 fans sucking air into the case and the mesh is just behind it, so when the mesh gets dust on it, the fans blow the dust into the case. at least i think thats why there is dust inside the case

8. DaZzZa

Mobster

just remove them they make your fans more noisy

9. salami1212

Mobster

how?

10. badbob

PermaBanned

Might be a mesh/grill screwed into place. If it's part of the case you'll need to use a hobby drill.

Have you got pictures?

11. Jokester

Don

He's correct, a grill restricts air flow (= noise) through a fan.

I chopped the grill off the front of my Antec SLK3700BQE and the noise from the front fan dropped significantly.

Jokester

12. DaZzZa

Mobster

ty mr jokester

acctualy makes quite abit of a difference

13. badbob

PermaBanned

14. salami1212

Mobster

noo. there something with tiny little holes to stop dust gathering in the case. should i take them off?

15. Jokester

Don

A mesh stops dust entering your case, they restrict air flow as well, though it might not be as noisy as a grill. Entirely depends if you want to have to clean out your PC every year or 2, or want the quietist case possible.

Jokester

16. badbob

PermaBanned

Of course I'm talking about the metal meshing of the case, not any removable foam/plastic dust mesh.

17. salami1212

Mobster

what do you mean??

18. badbob

PermaBanned

Here. The metal that's the case, with the holes. Mark out the area directly in front of the fan blade circumference and cut away so the airflow is not obstructed. It'll depend on your case of course, if the foam/plastic mesh in front will plop out and fall into the blades don't do it. But if there's nothing there nor any cables you can do this.

[​IMG]

It's the same for CM device module, there's steel mesh with very few vent holes for free airflow. Removed the three metal panels and refitted fan so there's nothing in the way between HD & fan. Only the front mesh & foam filter.

[​IMG]

19. Chris19

Hitman

It should be fine i removed the the metal bits on my stacker 4 in 3 module