Well, that's EVGA off the list

Soldato
It appears that they've been caught sampling PSUs to reviewers which were not the same as retail PSUs. Which means that all the reviews for all their PSUs will have to be checked for being review samples or not, and frankly I've not got the energy to do it. It's just easier to assume that they're all suspect and there are plenty of other suppliers anyway.

Which begs the question: what about their other products, like graphics cards?

Don
Reading through that link and the associated threads, seems like Seasonic are the only manufacturer who can be 100% trusted (unless I'm misunderstanding).

Makes you question how long this has been going on for, and how some companies trade on good reputation for a long time undeserved.

Soldato
It wouldn't surprise me if this kind of thing goes on all the time in the PC & Consumer Electronics world, as well as the reviewer being 'lent on' by the producer to give a good review of a product. Which is why I take product reviews with a pinch of salt, nowadays I look around online to see what other buyers of said product think (the rainforest is usually good for this) before buying.

Having said that the 550G2 I bought almost 2 years ago (touch wood) hasnt missed a beat even though its hardly stretched.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
From what I understand this only applies to the EVGA B3 (a somewhat low-end/budget PSU). G2/G3/P2 are still built by Super Flower.

Man of Honour
The B3 was supposed to be built by Superflower as well. I hate it when manufacturers intentionally decieve consumers like this. Kingston was caught out with the V300 SSD's that were much slower than the review samples due to them changing the chips and not telling anyone. Companies that do this should be fined.

Soldato
Makes you question how long this has been going on for, and how some companies trade on good reputation for a long time undeserved.
Originally all Corsair PSUs used quality caps and were honestly rated.
Then they started using also cheaper capacitors and some models (not any Seasonic built unit) were straight overspecced.
And still many people see Corsair meaning automatically high quality PSU.

Not to mention nowadays it being lot harder to "jump start" PSU and check different voltages because of all black fashion garbage introduced by Corsair.
(flat cables aren't even that easy to manage in all situations)

G2/G3/P2 are still built by Super Flower.
Well, Super Flower established Golden Green with quality caps and then "updated" it to use China brand caps in HX.
Remember how one shop in Finland sold those Golden Greens and attempted to get more of them, but just couldn't get them anymore.

Soldato
The B3 was supposed to be built by Superflower as well. I hate it when manufacturers intentionally decieve consumers like this. Kingston was caught out with the V300 SSD's that were much slower than the review samples due to them changing the chips and not telling anyone. Companies that do this should be fined.

As well as misleading surely theres some kind of legal issue there, plus Superflower name going down the pan because people think they are getting SF internals and are getting poop instead

Associate
I think all companies will try their luck. Think Volkswagen with their false emissions.

EVGA got stung with their ACX graphics cards and it hurt them. Their ICX cards are much better now though. I remember buying my previous Corsair CX600 and people later telling me it was junk, but 5 years later and it's still going strong. I've just purchased another Corsair RM650X for my new build. So long as they have a good warranty and a track record of honouring them then that's what I look for mostly.

V F

V F

Soldato
What kicked all this off?

Not sure what the issue [H]ardOCP has exactly, I've read the [H]ardOCP article claiming shenanigans by EVGA, & Overclock.net forums

- [H]ardOCP needs to take a Basic Statistics Class ---> two Data Point, is Not Statistically Significant

- Most PSU, MFG do not seem to announce process changes, tweaks, revisions (Corsair comes to mind when X99 MB were having Voltage issues)

- MFG do change vendors all the time for many reasons

- OMG price point products are Not as Good as the Top tier, more expensive units

Seems like someone has an axe to grind ? @ [H]ardOCP

if you read the forums over there on this (which i don't recommend, lot of pitchforks etc.), [H] isn't too happy with EVGA since they don't get sampled for reviews anymore.
i have my ups and downs with that site. kyle is a bit abrasive for my taste, but I like the other contributors.

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2718225&fp=1&p=2

V F

V F

Soldato
Reading all these different forums (been skimming) it is feeling like boycott and hang them! Smashing keyboard rage. All because of one range of units?

Man of Honour
The problem with just ordering proper Superflower psu's is that they have less warranty plus the potential to be without a psu for a long time while if you have a failure and it has to be sent off to Taiwan. That happened to someone on here last year even though the warranty was supposed to be covered by OCUK. If I was looking for a psu right now it would be one of the excellent Seasonic Focus Plus units.

Soldato
The problem with just ordering proper Superflower psu's is that they have less warranty plus the potential to be without a psu for a long time while if you have a failure and it has to be sent off to Taiwan. That happened to someone on here last year even though the warranty was supposed to be covered by OCUK. If I was looking for a psu right now it would be one of the excellent Seasonic Focus Plus units.
You don't happen to know the warranty procedure for the Seasonic units do you?

Back
Top Bottom