'We're going to crash', screams air stewardess!

Hitman
Permabanned
That really is rediculous. I would have thought that being able to keep calm in such situations would be a pre-requiste before even applying to be an air steward?
Virgin Atlantic are a UK company, aren't they? If they were based in the US, I really wouldn't be surprised if there were lawsuits for emotional distress or whatever after this.

Soldato
Let's not forget this air stewardess is human just like the rest of us. Nobody knows how one will react in a life-threatening situation until you are actually in it. So I say give her a break.

In all likelihood she won't be getting back on an aircraft after this experience or if she does she'll be stronger for it.

Associate
However, he confirmed that the flight crew were "very scared" when the plane hit trouble.
"If the flight crew are scared then you know something is seriously wrong," he said.
"The plane was juddering, up and down. I was trying to take a step but just ended up lying on the floor."

gotta agree what it says on bbc site, if all flight crew was worried must have been bad

Soldato
I agree that the woman involved should be given a little slack. According to reports it was particularly bad and has been said the rest of the crew were also very shaken. I dont think one single event, which for all we know, could have been her 10th flight, should stop a persons career. She may decide flying isnt for her, or she may want to take further training but i dont agree with people just saying "sack her" without knowing the exact situation involved.

Ive noticed lately that too many people seem to have an almost executioner like attitude towards any news report.... ie "kill them" "sack them" "string them up" "nuke em" etc etc without even stopping to think about things. By the same token if someone had a car crash would you automaticially ban them from ever taking to a car again>? from walking on a road? from walking on the pavement NEAR a road? ( you get the point im making im sure ).

Give the poor lass a break... im quite sure the company will investigate and take the appropriate actions to make sure she either doesnt fly again or thats she understands what happened and comes to terms with the possible down sides to her chosen career.

As a side note my cousin is an air hostess and she once told me of a time over the indian ocean when she really did think they were going to break up.... the head steward was litterally gibbering, and he had 15 years experiance, and the passengers were like a crazed mob. She had serious doubts about carrying on after that but she did and so far shes never had a similar experiance.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
The girl should be grounded until she is givin a psyciatric treatment to some how make her be calm in situations like that. then she should be able to fly again if she passes.

No matter how shaken up you and the rest of your crew are there is no reason what so ever to scream "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!"
Yes you can be crapping your self but you should have self control not to say soemthing like that.

It would be like if your bungie jumping and the operater says "OH **** THE ROPES NOT TIED UP!!" just as you jump. You will absolutly crap yourself due to him saying something stupid.

Its also like these stampedes of people they ahve had in the middle east when people call out "THERES A BOMB!!" and people panic and get trampled

Soldato
Berserker said:
That's what seatbelts are for. Doesn't stop the stewardesses hitting the roof of course. :eek:

Reports are the flight was very turbulent with sick bags everywhere etc. I've been on very turbulent flights myself (felt like being on a rollercoaster, complete with people being sick), and no-one said we were going to crash.

It's totally unprofessional and the stewardess should be sacked forthwith. If she panicked like that over turbulence, just imagine what she'd be like if the plane really had to do a forced landing for whatever reason. They're trained to remain calm and deal with potentially stressful situations. If she can't 'hack it', she shouldn't be there. Period.

Exactly. They're trained for this exact thing!

Soldato
Robert said:
Exactly. They're trained for this exact thing!

Yes they are trained in a classroom for it... they dont actually fly them around in a jet fighter and do top gun type flights to make them immune. You could fly for years and never experiance something like this.... or you could have it the first time you go up. Also after reading a little more it seems that only one or two people are saying she said "we are going to die".... now pardon me but id take that with a pinch of salt given the situation. Its very possible she didnt say it and someone else did.... or that someone asked her "are we going to die?" and she replied "no... we arent going to die" and this person misheard it. An airplane in bad turbulance isnt exactly the quietest place to be... as anyone who has experianced it will testify. Maybe she was saying it to a person near her to comfot them>? who knows... unless you were there. For example just imagine being there and hearing someone behind you saying those things... then 5 minutes later you are told by someone near you that it was the stuardess saying it... i promise you that 95% of people would just believe what they are told without question because its more sensational to think the cabin crew were screaming ( im NOT saying this is what happened im just suggesting the possibility of something like that happening).

If you werent actually there then always take these reports with a little bit of salt.. if she DID do what was actually reported than im pretty sure she herself would be the first to admit a problem and do something about it.

When i flew to ireland once i remember a woman 3 or 4 rows back started screaming as we took off that "oh **** the wings is coming off!!! AGGHGHH!!! i dont want to die".... all that was happening of course was the wing was bending upwards, as designed to so it doesnt snap, on take off. After that the WHOLE flight was filled by clowns demanding we land and that they wanted compensation for trauma ( i kid you not ).

Last edited:
Associate
Zip said:
The girl should be grounded until she is givin a psyciatric treatment to some how make her be calm in situations like that. then she should be able to fly again if she passes.

No matter how shaken up you and the rest of your crew are there is no reason what so ever to scream "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!"
Yes you can be crapping your self but you should have self control not to say soemthing like that.

It would be like if your bungie jumping and the operater says "OH **** THE ROPES NOT TIED UP!!" just as you jump. You will absolutly crap yourself due to him saying something stupid.

Its also like these stampedes of people they ahve had in the middle east when people call out "THERES A BOMB!!" and people panic and get trampled

sorry but would like to see you in her position really thinking the plane is goona crash and your going to die, you can say here yeah she should have been calm but if you think your going to die who would be?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
D18241 said:
sorry but would like to see you in her position really thinking the plane is goona crash and your going to die, you can say here yeah she should have been calm but if you think your going to die who would be?

I know i would **** myself if i was in her situation but i know i wouldnt say that, i might yell and squeel wierd noises and swear a lot but i wouldnt say that.

Soldato
Ok, screaming ... fine, being incredibly scared ... fine - shouting out to a lot of passengers

"We Are All Going To Die" is a bit OTT don't you think? She may have been scared, it was probably horrendous, I'd have been scared out of my wits, but you can't tell me that you sympathise for her job when she basically tells the people she is supposed to be looking after that they are infact all going to die :D

Zip beat me to it :p

Soldato
I doubt that she is gunner be on another Virgin Atlantic flight.

I definatly wouldnt know what to do, if one of the cabin crew was screaming that we was gonig to crash. Probably go into the sockput and controll and plan my self :D Well try to.

If we were going to crash, I would be saying "Well, this didnt happen on Flight Sim last night" lol

On a serious note, I would claim compensation. Un-called for stress, if thats a real thing lol...

Back
Top Bottom