Whale "lands" on a boat, real or shopped?

Associate
whale_1682753c.jpg

It looks real but then the cynic in me goes into "it's shopped" mode.

Source

Soldato
Surely the person on the boat would be making more of an effort to get out of the way (moving or jumping to his right) and there happened to be someone there that second with a camera.

Caporegime
Ralph Mothes, 59, and Paloma Werner, 50, were helpless as the beast thrashed around on their 33ft vessel before slipping back into the water.

Has a 33ft boat really got over 40tons of buoyancy? Not to mention the fact if it landed and slipped off one side i'd guess the boat would stand a huge chance of capsizing.

Soldato
the size of the whale jumping out of the water would at least make the boat tip to the right rather than staying up right. the camera person could have taken the image just as the boat was swinging back the other way i suppose.

Associate
They obviously knew it was there then

I guess they knew it was in the area.. but still doesn't seem to be paying to much attention to it in the photo.

Fake. That would certainly have capsized the boat.

Possibly even crushing it... Steel hull explains this I guess.

"There were bits of skin and blubber left behind, and the mast was wrecked. It brought down the rigging too.

...but there are no pictures of the boat after the fact.

Associate
She's a steel hulled boat and they are indeed a tough hull, popular with long distance sailing and the gnarly hardcore for that reason. I'd estimate the keel weight to be perhaps 1.5 tons or more. I imagine the yacht would have remained fairly upright but would have still have been toyed violently under the shock and weight of such a large whales upper body landing on the deck and sliding off.

I think it's amazing that this whale chose to breach over a yacht like this. Maybe it had an itch to scratch or a chip on it's shoulder.

Soldato
I think its 'shopped. Even a steel hull would surely not withstand 40 tonnes (or even half that) of blubber slamming down onto it.
And as said, where are the 'after the incident' pictures of the boat.

I guess we can throw the "a photographer just happened to be there" excuse out as whether the whale was 'shopped in or not, a photographer WAS still there to take a shot of the boat (obviously).

Associate
i cant believe looking at that pic that the whale landed on the boat and "thrashed around" rather than just tearing right through it which seems more likely given the size ratio of the boat and whale

Back
Top Bottom