What 125cc should I buy?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys.

I think something more than a 125cc is great if going on long rides etc, but this is going too be more for local places.

I just think with my none exspirince on a bike, it would be a big step too go above a 125cc.

Man of Honour
I've been looking into this a lot as I'm in a similar situation. Unfortunately the market is quiet highly priced at the moment due to many people wanting cheap non-public transport. But these bikes tend to be the ones recommended:

Yamaha YBR or Honda CBF seem to get most recommendations.
An older Honda CG 125 could be a good idea for much cheapness.
Yamaha YS125 which replaced the YBR, but is generally more expensive due to being newer.
An outlier could be a Suzuki RV125 VanVan. Slow, rubbish on paper but many people seem to love them. Perhaps a little niche to be able to sell quickly later though.

Caporegime
I've been looking into this a lot as I'm in a similar situation. Unfortunately the market is quiet highly priced at the moment due to many people wanting cheap non-public transport. But these bikes tend to be the ones recommended:

Yamaha YBR or Honda CBF seem to get most recommendations.
An older Honda CG 125 could be a good idea for much cheapness.
Yamaha YS125 which replaced the YBR, but is generally more expensive due to being newer.
An outlier could be a Suzuki RV125 VanVan. Slow, rubbish on paper but many people seem to love them. Perhaps a little niche to be able to sell quickly later though.

The CBF125 is the Japanese made Honda. It changed a few years ago to the CB125F which although meant to be a direct successor, is, made in India. I don't know how much this affects real world quality but the wheels look weedier for a start.

A CG125 is a good shout, they seem to live eternally at the bottom of the depreciation curve so you could even make a profit on one.

Caporegime
Couple of guys at work have little bennelli 125s with tiny wheels, seem quite popular

Cheapo attempts to nick market share from the MSX125 (Grom). Kawasaki tried it with the Z125 and failed, so China's "benelli" hasn't got much hope. Cool looking things, but will always be the Porsche Boxster of that market segment.

Man of Honour
I bought a 2016 YBR today. I did my CBT on a Honda which I now think must have been a CBF125 or a CB125F. So I have a small amount of experience between the two most popular learner 125's. The thing that struck me between the two was that I personally find the YBR much more comfortable. I sit more upright. On the CBF I was leaning forward more and after a couple of hours I had some discomfort down my back and leg (I do get sciatica which most people probably don't). The YBR has a more comfortable seat too. It's more padded and I can move around a bit more to get the right position. Having said that, I get more wind buffeting on the YBR because of the upright position.

I also found it difficult to get the CBF into neutral, often hunting between 1st and 2nd. Finally I had trouble getting it into any different gear or neutral if I stopped in the wrong gear. But that may be because it was a used and abused riding school bike. The YBR doesn't have those problems, but again that could be because it seems to be better condition.

The CBF looks more sporty I think (although I have a late facelifted YBR so it still looks OK and I like it). But I am enjoying riding the YBR more out of the two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom