What album/artists are a MUST buy?

Soldato
Was there not two versions of the album, one a Enhanced cd (orange) and another Blue one which was not.

Its taxing my memory a bit though

Suspended
There was just the one with the yellow/orange cover as far as I know. There may have been another special edition one released or something, that was blue, but the music would have been exactly the same.

Suspended
Carzy said:
That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm into post-rock quite a lot lately, thanks to Big Chris :p
What sort of stuff? I've been listening to a lot of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Silver Mt Zion again recently - just got back from a walk where I listened to GY!BE's f#a#infinity actually. Can I permit myself to list my top ten essential post-rock albums? I can? Great.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennaes To Heaven, and f#a#infinity
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
A Silver Mt Zion - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward, and He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Still Grace The Corners Of Our Rooms
Piano Magic - The Troubled Sleep Of Piano Magic
Mogwai - Come On Die Young
Esmerine - If Only Sweet Surrender To The Nights To Come Be True
...as the Poets affirm - i want to tell my heart to you but i cannot say english
Destroyalldreamers - A Couer Leger Sommeil Sanglant
Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies - Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than The Last
65daysofstatic - The Fall Of Math and One Time For All Time

There may be more than ten albums there, I got carried away. Sorry.

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
What sort of stuff? I've been listening to a lot of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Silver Mt Zion again recently - just got back from a walk where I listened to GY!BE's f#a#infinity actually. Can I permit myself to list my top ten essential post-rock albums? I can? Great.

Isis, Pelican, Explosions In The Sky, 65DaysofStatic, Red Sparowes, The Autumn Project, Mouth Of The Architect, Aereogramme, Mogwai, [masse]

Some might not say all of those bands were post-rock, but near enough :p

Not a huge GY!BE fan myself, they are alright, but not enough happens in their songs for my liking :p

Suspended
Cool. I've heard of Isis and Pelican but never actually listened to them - am I right in thinking that they're a kind of droney, sludgey style of music? Something similar to Sunn O)))? I've never heard of Red Sparowes, The Autumn Project or Mouth of the Architect, so will check those out. Recommendations for albums?

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
Cool. I've heard of Isis and Pelican but never actually listened to them - am I right in thinking that they're a kind of droney, sludgey style of music? Something similar to Sunn O)))? I've never heard of Red Sparowes, The Autumn Project or Mouth of the Architect, so will check those out. Recommendations for albums?

I got a Sunn O))) album, I just thought it was one note, played with distortion for a ridiculously long amount of time :p Found it pretty boring. Isis + Pelican are pretty sludgey yea, post-metal if you could call it that. Very good though.

Get:

Isis - Celestial
Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn
The Autumn Project - La Luna de Negra
Mouth of The Architect - Time And Withering

The Red Sparowes album is utterly stunning. One of the best post-rock albums I've heard in a very long time.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Carzy said:
The Red Sparowes album is utterly stunning. One of the best post-rock albums I've heard in a very long time.

you havent been alive for a very long time.

i agree though, i cant like GY!BE, their songs just dont appear to go anywhere. to each his own etc

Soldato
Carzy said:
Isis - Celestial
Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn
The Autumn Project - La Luna de Negra
Mouth of The Architect - Time And Withering
All top suggestions, although Celestial by Isis is quite sludgy at best. I'd go with Panopticon or Oceanic as they are a little more soulful (for want of a better word). Panopticon has fast become one of my favourite albums, it's nothing short of stunning.

Soldato
Big Chris said:
All top suggestions, although Celestial by Isis is quite sludgy at best. I'd go with Panopticon or Oceanic as they are a little more soulful (for want of a better word). Panopticon has fast become one of my favourite albums, it's nothing short of stunning.

Celestial is the best Isis album!

Soldato
Carzy said:
Celestial is the best Isis album!
Don't be silly man, I'd even go as far as to say that it's nothing more than an average metal/grind album.

Panopticon is far more accomplished, and beautifully written. It's a masterpiece.

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
I don't understand how it's physically possible that people don't like Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I thought that the laws of physics forbade it. Ho hum.
I'm in the same boat as Sic and Carzy, I like them but their songs take waaaay too long to then not really go anywhere. I know that's kind of the point with post-rock to a certain extent, but I'll stick with Red Sparowes, Mogwai and EITS I think.

Soldato
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots.

I don't think the Flaming Lips got anything near the media coverage they deserve I voted the above for my favourite album of all time, which is quite a feat because I still rate it my favourite since it's release. It's probably the best produced flaming lips album, although Zaireeka is worth a look in for its originality .

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
I don't understand how it's physically possible that people don't like Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I thought that the laws of physics forbade it. Ho hum.

you need to keep up to speed. the laws of physics forbade it until someone was forced to change the laws of physics to allow people to dislike music that was boring and didnt really have any point.

Man of Honour
I'm really struggling to think of any albums I'd have down as a MUST buy. Maybe, just maybe, I'd proffer up The Joshua Tree by U2, but that's only because it has the best opening 3 tracks to any record I've ever come across.

No Need to Argue by The Cranberries wasn't actually a bad call by thebrasso. That's a seriously good record relative to the (lack of) publicity it usually receives. Its suprisingly powerful.

Ignoring greatest hits albums, "The Stone Roses" (The Stone Roses), "Nevermind" (Nirvana) and "August and Everything After" (Counting Crows) have a lot going for them.

I've spent a good 15mins mulling this over and flicking through my collection, but I'm afraid I still can't say that anything is a MUST buy - people's tastes are just too diverse.

Soldato
Sic said:
you're actually wrong. it isnt about opinion, you're just wrong

Big Chris said:
Don't be silly man, I'd even go as far as to say that it's nothing more than an average metal/grind album.

Panopticon is far more accomplished, and beautifully written. It's a masterpiece.

Fine! I'll listen to it again (I haven't heard it in a while) and will see what I think haha

Back
Top Bottom