What alternative can you use strap a cpu In its socket

Associate
I seem to have misplaced my retention bracket and the ihs of my cpu, since it’s being water cooled on die only.

Wondered if anyone has used Electrical tape to hold down the cpu in its socket or not.

Reason I ask is there have been times I have dropped items on the rig (item falling from window sill for example) which potentially knocks the cpu out of place slightly resulting in memory errors (ASUS qled 53-55), so trial and error getting my memory slots to recognise all my memory sticks, and having to reseat the cpu.

I have looked at die mounts from debauer but since there are 6 series and above I don’t know if they would fit a 4770k due to the die positioning.

thanks

Soldato
I think intel’s board from that age hast change the mounting bracket. So you can just buy any old board that is not working for £10 and take the mounting off that board and put it on yours.

Associate
OP
ahh didn't think of that.. I was originally gonna go that route but now after falling in love with the mitx cases such as the M1 and the NR200, I’m considering replacing the Mobo with a mitx board. Just a bit tough finding the right board of flea bay and seems other forums I know of aren’t that active in the members market.
Like others have mentioned, I need the golden 1000 posts to access the members market else I’d be buying cr*p load of stuff for a second build (assuming ocuk members market is much more active)... plus with a Corsair 750d sitting on the side, much prefer to sell this off before the second build begins... having that case is what’s keeping me from going ssf

Soldato
I’ve got some old z97 boards kicking around somewhere that I could take a clip off, are all the cpu clips the same? I think I might even have an old 4790k IHS somewhere. If ya think they might be useful pm me and I’ll send them when I get chance.

Associate
cant u just buy a knackered 4 series and board off the bay delid and remove the retention
thats what i did..
i bought a good 3770k with asus maximus extreme and waterblock. waterblock was mounted on a naked die.. when it was time to sell i bought a faulty board and used the retention mechanism from that. :)

Back
Top Bottom