What Anti Virus you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I have Microsoft Security Essentials, however today it didn't stop Win 7 Guardian installing itself WITHOUT any 'click here to install' and completely messing up my computer. I even have UAC running.

I'm in the process of doing a re-installation. Spent about an hour trying to remove, but failed miserably, all my exe's were unable to run, couldn't get on the net, regedit wouldn't open, even tried to copy regedit.exe to regedit.com in a failed attempt. Ended up just wiping the damn thing.

What can be done about these scareware companies? Surely the very fact that they take money should make them fairly easy to find wouldn't you say?

Think of all the poor people that actually pay for their scareware..

They are the scum of the earth.

Soldato
I have Microsoft Security Essentials, however today it didn't stop Win 7 Guardian installing itself WITHOUT any 'click here to install' and completely messing up my computer. I even have UAC running.

<snip>

You must have installed something that let it through - some other package you thought was safe but wasn't. Either that or you were already infected.

The problem with these types or malware is that they don't really need to be that stubborn or sophisticated to work if you think about it. If you're going to such lengths to remove it then you obviously know it's a virus. On the other hand if you think it is legitimate you're one step closer to handing over your cash.

Since you've formatted you'll probably be okay now.

Soldato
You must have installed something that let it through - some other package you thought was safe but wasn't. Either that or you were already infected.

The problem with these types or malware is that they don't really need to be that stubborn or sophisticated to work if you think about it. If you're going to such lengths to remove it then you obviously know it's a virus. On the other hand if you think it is legitimate you're one step closer to handing over your cash.

Since you've formatted you'll probably be okay now.

honesty m8, this **beep** installed itself, by just visiting a webpage. I did not click any buttons to clean or check.. the site i went to was gamecopyworld .com just to grab a no-cd patch for a retail game of mine. Microsoft Security Essentials did fire up but it was too late.

I would have half expected UAC to at least of kicked in, but no it didn't.. Actually that's the ONLY reason I bother with UAC, but it didn't help. This Win 7 Guardian is pretty smart too. Removal is next to impossible. regedit, exe's, system restore and any browsers all get disabled. Even dual booting into a different O/S to kill the av.exe didn't help. Couldn't get into the registry to fix. After an hour i just gave up.. Besides a reformat always feels good afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom