What are people using for HTPC and/or home streaming devices these days?

Associate
Hey all,

Been a while since I looked at the latest home streaming gadgets along with the traditional HTPC and other tech.

I'm currently running a couple of HP microservers as a home NAS and Plex Media Server which I set up 2-3 years ago. It's been running stable since, so it's very much been a setup-and-forget kind of deal.

As Plex clients, we have 2 second hand Acer Revo 100s running Windows 7 for the living room and bedroom.

The problem is the Revos are 5 years old now and showing their age with some content. YouTube really sucks on low power devices, it barely works at all.

I was looking to replace them with up to date net-tops but these devices don't seem to be very popular these days, poor choice and over priced for what they are. I'm considered maybe going for a Firestick / Roku / Chromecast / Rasplex, although I do like the freedom of the mouse/keyboard on Windows for other random tasks.

Other things we use the HTPC for currently is Spotify, YouTube and general web browsing.

Just wondering what other people tend to recommend these days, so many choices!

Associate
An old desktop PC with lots of hard disks running the Plex server tucked away upstairs. Smart TV with its built in Netflix / Youtube clients + DLNA streaming from a Plex server. Chromecast for the older TVs. Plex client on ipads, phones etc..

Associate
Do people even read the OP in full before posting these days? :rolleyes:

I have a similar backend setup to yourself, however I tend to use mini itx based systems with either a pentium or i3 as clients, since ivy bridge they have been plenty powerful enough for 1080p on the igpu. In a couple of systems I've popped a little GPU in, just because I had them lying around, or in the case of the htpc in the living room, dropped in an RX 470 for some gaming.

I use the Silverstone Sg13 cases, not much bigger than a shoebox, can fit a full atx PSU and most full size GPUs if that's your thing. If I was to build another now, running on igpu only, I'd go for a smaller case, maybe even opt for slim-mini itx case & board if there's any good options these days.

Windows or Linux mint for os. Just install Kodi on them if you want a pretty frontend, and you get to keep a full featured desktop os as well.

As for a remote/kbm, I recently picked up this thing from the rainforest, its gamepad sized, has a keyboard and laptop style trackpad and worked surprisingly well, at least with no obstructions from the USB transceiver at around 5m away:

http://www.esynic.com/wp-includes/WEB/KB05.htm

I have a fire stick that I bought on prime day but have yet to plug the thing in yet! Though I have heard the wireless doesn't have fantastic range sadly.

Soldato
i use a gigabyte brix micro system for streaming and kodi. i can instal plex and then connect to my main pc upstairs, all connected via homeplugs. also upgraded to a new AC wireless fibre router too to replace sse's one and it's great.

Associate
May be a bit late to the show here, but I use a old PC in the loft which acts as a media server (running Win10) but I serve to an NVidia Shield TV in the living room which has served me very well with Plex, Kodi/SPMC, Youtube, Twitch etc.

Its a powerful little thing that can also act as a game streaming device if you have a NVidia card in your gaming PC. I dont, so I dont use this feature. But the Shield TV, while limited to Android, is a worthy contender for a living room player.

V.

Back
Top Bottom