What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Associate
Nope, 32 here and ARK is still one of my faves with nearly 900 hours played (currently playing aberration), although for the last few months I've mainly been playing BF1 and just logging on to ARK to feed stuff now and again....I should probably just suspend the server when my friends and I aren't playing!

Really looking forward to Extinction and contemplating taking a few days leave on release to get a private server up and get started :)

Nearly 3 years later and ARK is still one of my most played, currently on Genesis 2 and have also recently gone back to the island map and been making some YouTube videos.
Also been playing two point hospital, prison architect, tropico, skaterXL and have said to a mate I'll join him on Fallout 76 soon. Have a backlog of literally hundreds of games from humble choice including Control and the Metro games, Jurassic World Evo, Dirt 5 and many others, so plenty to keep me going for now :)

Associate
After a long time, I managed to pass level 10 in Dungeonmans and reached level 11 with a shielded fightermans in light armour.

Light armour gives you two life shields, the HP on each affected by your 'stremf' stat, which is the only stat needed by a melee shield tank.

I had over 700 HP, and my light armour shields added another 800 with damage reductions on top (one shield gives physical damage reduction, the other elemental).

Except theres also a Wizard skill tree that adds a 'swap buffs' skill, which the enemy mages of that class have.

Enter the boss fight of a level 10+ dungeon and such an enemy mage spawns. I cast my shield. Enemy mage steals my shield. I drop dead in one round from taking full damage from the boss and other trash mobs.

The debuff skill is the only way the game curbs the overpoweredness of a fighter in light shields, and the chance of getting a debuff mage in a boss fight is pure RNG.

I am beyond salty mad, but here I go at it again with adventuremans number 5000.

Just bought this after your post, cheers

Soldato
I just tried Out Of The Park Baseball (OOTP) but frankly couldn't make head nor tail of it. Compared to our home grown soccer management games the interface was just a mass of confusion. Probably doesn't help that my knowledge of baseball is pretty much arrived at by watching the Major League movies and Field Of Dreams but still... the idea seemed sound. I refunded it and will keep the money in my wallet for something more familiar.

Associate
Have you tried Hell Let Loose, sounds like it could be your thing.

I've just started up again after a few months break. One of the best PC gaming experiences I've had, if you get a decent squad it's even better. no raging kids playing it either, the player base is mature.

Exits early access in a few days and the eastern front maps get released as well, can't wait!

I hadn't heard of that game until your post so watched a few videos. It looks quite good but I think it's one of those games with quite a high skill ceiling and a need to spend time playing it, along with having a few people to play with (I don't). It's also probably too far on the side of being realistic for me. I find those types of games really frustrating, personally. I remember thinking Operation Flashpoint would be amazing but it seemed to be 20mins of carefully approaching an area "tactically", only to get shot by someone I couldn't see and have no time to react as the TTK was so quick. Similar story when I played ARMA. Never really had much fun

If it was something less realistic/hardcore like BFV/BF1, I could always just jump into a game after a long time not playing and still do alright.

Associate
Just reached lvl 10 with a Ranger, getting hairy in places, got legendary's now so death is going to suck :D

'Ooooh super duper monster party portal wuts dat??? *clicks enter* ....

OH NOES!!!!!! ON NO NO NO NO NO NO CRY'.

Dead before escape dungeon scroll kicks in yet again.

Also fyi don't play any of the built in classes. Use the 'Dungeonmans' class under advanced to fully customize starting skills. Also try Touristmans to start start without any skills or skill points ......

That's one of the things that exists for even more self inflicted pain.

Dont forget to use the Banners under the Bannermans class, ranged or melee depending on your build, also the fully specced melee banner is is always good to have as it blocks enemy summons and teleports.

If melee dab in Southern Gentlemans to spawn beverages during battle for minor health and resource regen. Theres also a massive AOE skill in there, something about shouting obsenities in cursed language .... Use it a few too many times for an awesome surprise (spawns a couple of legendary mobs that you accidentally summon, awesome loots if you can kill them, but you most likely can't kill them).

Last edited:
Associate
'Ooooh super duper monster party portal wuts dat??? *clicks enter* ....

OH NOES!!!!!! ON NO NO NO NO NO NO CRY'.

Dead before escape dungeon scroll kicks in yet again.

Also fyi don't play any of the built in classes. Use the 'Dungeonmans' class under advanced to fully customize starting skills. Also try Touristmans to start start without any skills or skill points ......

That's one of the things that exists for even more self inflicted pain.

Dont forget to use the Banners under the Bannermans class, ranged or melee depending on your build, also the fully specced melee banner is is always good to have as it blocks enemy summons and teleports.

If melee dab in Southern Gentlemans to spawn beverages during battle for minor health and resource regen. Theres also a massive AOE skill in there, something about shouting obsenities in cursed language .... Use it a few too many times for an awesome surprise (spawns a couple of legendary mobs that you accidentally summon, awesome loots if you can kill them, but you most likely can't kill them).

lvl 10 ranger dead at top of a tower (some super paladin with 10,000 armour and health).. 2 handed smasher this char, lvl 6 now and pet has killed most mobs i've encountered :)

Read this after I rolled so will try dungeonmans next time.

Maybe Dungeonmans thread is in order..

Associate
Gujian 3 - a Chinese single player RPG.. Currently a big discount on Steam so picked it up for £7.

Beautiful art/graphics

Sword combat system similar to Sekiro (but not as hard)

Good story

Crafting/fishing/cooking etc

English subtitles

Really enjoying it a lot.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hollow Knight, for a couple days. It scratched an itch.

But I've lost interest after the difficulty spiked. I now have no desire to bash my head against a brick wall, when some of the later bosses are flat out insanely hard. It becomes very "bullet hell" in the later stages and that's not my cup of tea.

Also: screw the Hornet fight (x2). Screw her and those damned Chun-Li noises she makes on every attack. So much hate :p

Soldato
Well I decided to give Out Of The Park Baseball (21) a second chance.
It’s still a bit bewildering compared even to the likes of Championship Manager but I managed to get myself in charge of a small team in the Minors using the historical feature (the 2020 season is a bit fubar with Covid). You just have to play around with the various screens and hope the various menus don’t give you an eye spasm, until you arrive at match day. Haven’t won a game yet but the ball by ball option gives great control and managing to steal a base or two a sense of satisfaction.

It’s as much getting your head around the culture of baseball vs. soccer, too. For example teams seem to play far more matches and there is no schedule I can find for in season training. Trading appears to be the equivalent of the football transfer system, but players seem to get swapped around between teams much more readily.

Still, I enjoy a game that makes you think and even learn about something new, help keep this old brain sharp!

Soldato
Returned to EVE Online for the first time in some years, I originally created my character 1st May 2006 (though I played in beta but was playing other MMO's at the time so didn't play from the start), and it all seems so familiar. Fortunately my character has enough isk so I can pay the subs in Plex so no cash lost if it doesn't hold my interest any more.

Associate
Returned to EVE Online for the first time in some years, I originally created my character 1st May 2006 (though I played in beta but was playing other MMO's at the time so didn't play from the start), and it all seems so familiar. Fortunately my character has enough isk so I can pay the subs in Plex so no cash lost if it doesn't hold my interest any more.

Wonder if it's changed much? I got quite into EVE back in the day. It was like a second job. Spreadsheet simulator. Spent more time planning what I would do than actually doing anything. I resorted to just reading stories about it because it's way more fun than actually playing it!

Associate
Wonder if it's changed much? I got quite into EVE back in the day. It was like a second job. Spreadsheet simulator. Spent more time planning what I would do than actually doing anything. I resorted to just reading stories about it because it's way more fun than actually playing it!

I have so many games that I'm waiting to play in high detail with stable frame rates, this is one of them, flight stick gathering dust.. just gimme 3060 Ti :(

Back
Top Bottom