What are virgin like? TalkTalk > virgin move (Internet only)

Soldato
Yes and it's something you have to consider. It might be worth it if VM is good in your area. The cable will be up to your pavement if the house has never been installed. You might find a little plastic square that'll say cabletel or the likes on the pavement.

This has just devolved into pedantry now and has veered away from my original point that if the OP need installation it's something he should consider if he should be bothered with, it's not just as simple as typing in a password and setting up a new router/modem.

I thought you had a sense of humour when you asked if they used magic, apparently it disappeared when you realised you can't count... or tell the difference between two obviously different companies and now suddenly its pedantry :D I have a slightly unfair advantage here, I had some involvement in TW/VM's policies in a former life, in fact most of the policies VM have were largely based on TW policies/process pre merger, it turned out it wasn't only NTL's billing system that wasn't fit for purpose :( The first change we had to push through was a revised process changed policy as NTL wanted 6 weeks notice to brief out any changes to the call script, even for something as simple as checking serviceability with customers moving to a TW area.

Anyway for clarity a large number of properties have cable and ducting in the street right up to the property exterior wall, eg those that have had historic service (you'll know because the account number will end 02 or higher), they should need a 1 man team and 30ish minutes to install 'on the day' though that can vary by area, an un-cabled property will usually have a pre-pull done with a two man crew prior to the install, paving/block paving/tarmac will not be lifted or reinstated, if a customer insists on a route that requires this they are told to lift and re-instate the paving and that any faults resulting/requiring further removal of the cable would be down to them to do the same again. More often than not cable can be taken round the edge of a boundary etc. as it's the easier option, though in a garden homeowners may be given the option of a 2" wide trench sunk 6" deep and conduit used. No pole work, magic or time machines and op wouldn't usually have to 'do' anything at that stage unless they insisted on a more complex install (it happens).

After that it's just swapping a router over, if your existing router supports ethernet WAN, you can drop the SH into modem mode in about 90 secs, if not changing the SSID and wireless password takes about the same and they then have 30 days to decide if they want to continue, that also happens to be the amount of notice the current ISP will ask for if they are out of contract.

Soldato
I've been looking to switch from Sky who can only offer me (including all BT variants) 42mbit.
Virgin can offer up to 215mbit. (although I am not please that there website says at peak times this could be as low as 100)

However after reading this I might just stay as I am. I asked my friends 3 of them are on virgin and 1 has serious problems. 2 are fine.
Seems to be a reoccurring issue that since Vmedia got bought by foreign investors that its basically a pot luck **** show.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.virginmedia.com?page=570

This is the danger with repeating things you read on Trust Pilot, those foreigners purchased VM in 2013 from... well, a bunch of investment banks and other foreigners that had effectively pushed the merger of NTL and VM. The latest lot (Liberty Global) have a quite reasonable pedigree when it comes to telecoms/media services, they also own O2 (and have done for 15+? years) as well as several other (foreign) national operators. As this forum proves almost daily, 'problems' can often have little to do with the ISP side, you only have to look at how many times the same advice is given about buying an AP and installing it centrally to resolve wifi issues, if you asked the people who post if they have issues with the ISP in question, they're likely to say 'yes', even though it's got nothing to do with the actual connection and is down to a combination of unreasonable expectations and poor router placement. Not saying you should try Virgin, but it may be more useful to ask the friend with issue for some context before deciding.

Soldato
This is the danger with repeating things you read on Trust Pilot, those foreigners purchased VM in 2013 from... well, a bunch of investment banks and other foreigners that had effectively pushed the merger of NTL and VM. The latest lot (Liberty Global) have a quite reasonable pedigree when it comes to telecoms/media services, they also own O2 (and have done for 15+? years) as well as several other (foreign) national operators. As this forum proves almost daily, 'problems' can often have little to do with the ISP side, you only have to look at how many times the same advice is given about buying an AP and installing it centrally to resolve wifi issues, if you asked the people who post if they have issues with the ISP in question, they're likely to say 'yes', even though it's got nothing to do with the actual connection and is down to a combination of unreasonable expectations and poor router placement. Not saying you should try Virgin, but it may be more useful to ask the friend with issue for some context before deciding.

I did that days ago. They took a picture of a phone on the router getting 13mbit from a 200mbit connection. They have had them out to fix it, several router changes and still nothing. Yet @ 1am in the morning it works fine. Which tells me that the line is being abused or split six ways to Sunday. Being oversold by Virgin and just milking the money till people leave, seems like something a company with a market share, would do.

This seems to be the general complaint on Trust pilot.. Offer huge figures and get the worst service you can imagine. There are people on there screaming that virgin are the worst crap ever.

Yet.

My other friend is getting 350mb solid from his connection. However with a 1.2 rating I have to think that this is more than a few examples souring the milk. This seems endemic of the whole organisation. So much so I think it would be like rolling the dice on whether you get a decent connection.

I'm not one to believe the issues of a small fraction of bad reviews in a thousand but 1.2 must be more than a few, so much so that I couldn't find a good review.

Last edited:
Soldato
A picture of a phone? C’mon, no reasonable person would use a wireless device to speedtest a WAN connection, the photo doesn’t tell you what the phone is doing, capable of, what the RF landscape looks like, if it was 2.4Ghz/5Ghz, if the connection was being used by another device with some slow IoT device pulling the whole network down to a crawl etc. It’s textbook bad practice.

If you look at TrustPilot for Sky, TalkTalk, BT or many other ISP’s you see much the same thing, that’s because TrustPilot is where people go to vent spleen. Strangely a lot of reviewers post one single review, or lots of one star reviews and say nonsensical things like those you referenced about new foreign owners. You may be aware of the published complaints data for the industry, on TrustPilot TalkTalk are doing significantly better than Sky/BT/VM, yet TalkTalk have the highest level of complaints in the industry according to complaints data they supplied to the regulator and was published only a few weeks ago. I wonder how that happened?

I am fortunate enough to pay for M500 and get M500, my BQM looks decent in much the same way as I paid Sky for standard g.fast and got exactly what I paid for and BT before them, that isn’t to say everyone’s will be, some areas have issues and if you happen to be on a specific node that is over subscribed, then it’s really not fun, but if 2/3 of your sample say they have no issue and all of them are in the same area, then it’s probably not an area issue.

Either way, it’s your choice, but I wouldn’t take TrustPilot as gospel for anything, it’s really not a great reference point.

Soldato
Jesus you don't expect much.
There was no other devices connected at the time, except for an alexa. I doubt that was hardly drawing 190mbit for itself.

You can't expect everyone to be using wired and I think its reasonable to want you wireless devices to work well enough from a few inches.
Fact of the matter is the device works well enough during off-peak times in the middle of the night.

Anyway I'm not going to carry on trying to justify that they are awful, like you say I can't back it up with 100% proof but I have heard it very frequently,
I agree Trust pilot can be a cesspool of compliants but this do seem to be something that is mentioned a lot.

Not like you find this on the first page about sky or BT
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ng-causing-it-can-a-new-router-help.18906926/

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Must to report.

Happy with my decision to stick with talk talk.
This is what I'm getting

70 down
19 up
9 ping

From my phone using their hub.

Actually prefer that to their 100 down (50 min) 10 up

Back
Top Bottom