What book are you reading...

Soldato
Still battering onwards through the Horus Heresy, now onto book 27, The Unremembered Empire which follows Vulkan Lives, which I enjoyed utterly until the last 2-3 pages, where I think it just lost something in the telling.

Soldato
Still battering onwards through the Horus Heresy, now onto book 27, The Unremembered Empire which follows Vulkan Lives, which I enjoyed utterly until the last 2-3 pages, where I think it just lost something in the telling.

I think I got up to around book 23. They were hut or miss but for the most part were easy reading. I'm planning on picking these back up though, soon.

Am I right in saying that they've started on the siege of terra now?

Soldato
I think I got up to around book 23. They were hut or miss but for the most part were easy reading. I'm planning on picking these back up though, soon.

Am I right in saying that they've started on the siege of terra now?

They have yes, it'll be a 12 part series, of which i believe book 4 is now on hardback, by the time I get to 54 of HH, i'll be ready for the ending

Caporegime
Despite some warnings on here, I did buy Rama II. The first third is absolute drivel but it's now starting to get exciting, I didn't want to stop reading last night so that's always a good thing.

Permabanned
Going through Le Carré's Smiley trilogy again for the 100th time. Just finished up 'The Honourable Schoolboy'.

I remember on my first read really struggling with it and being so close to giving up several times, especially in the second act, but now it might be one of my favourite of all his novels. It's as near to perfect an espionage story that's ever been written in my opinion and the level of research (which was allegedly done in a single trip) is kind of baffling. I read a review upon finishing it which perfectly summarized why Le Carré is my favourite author, you 'trust' him. A lot of the time it can feel like he's writing beyond you with an intellect that reaches past 'research' and instead touches on genuine experience. But you always 'trust' that he'll bring you back into the fold a few pages on, regardless of where you stand at the time.

I still think Tinker Tailor is the better, more smartly paced and concisely written novel, but THS is still superb. That ending is hauntingly cynical.

Last edited:
Associate
mMwPAtc.png

I like reading novelisations that are based on an earlier script or those with deleted scenes. Aside from the character of Michael(Jason Patric) having a job, briefly, this is the final movie. Cool little time-waster, but maybe I should have just watched it instead.

Caporegime
I like reading novelisations that are based on an earlier script or those with deleted scenes. Aside from the character of Michael(Jason Patric) having a job, briefly, this is the final movie. Cool little time-waster, but maybe I should have just watched it instead.

It's a great film plus you don't get the great soundtrack with the book. Tim Cappello on his saxophone! ;) I like reading novelisations of movies as well as they normally flesh things out a bit more. Alien has extra bits that weren't even in the director's cut of the film.

Soldato
Girl at work lent me a book called The Chain, simple premise...your child is kidnapped, only way to get them back is kidnap someone elses child. Once the parents of that child kidnap another child, you get your own child back.

Considering the last few books I read were Dune, The Soldier and Revelation Space...it feels very light and easy reading. Jumps in feet first with no preamble, has me hooked from the off though and curious what the pay off will be.

I finished this a few days back, first half of the book was excellent, second half and conclusion a real let down.

For the first part of the book I was facing all kinds of internal moral conundrums and questions, second guessing the protagonists and wondering how i'd react in the same situation.

Tbh, I have a 3 year old that's transforming day by day into a full person, if put in same position and scenario as characters in this book, i'd willingly capitulate and obey, take another child to get my own back safely and continue 'The Chain'.

It'a a decent enough read, being made into a movie directed by Edgar Wright in the next few years.

Caporegime
Well those 3 authors are all a good start. Lightbringer is better than Weeks earlier stuff though. Lawrence and Sanderson are both incredibly consistent and have a number of good series. Mistborn might be a good starting point for Sanderson and The Broken Empire for Lawrence

Back
Top Bottom