What book are you reading...

Associate
Finally finished Wheel of Time, book 6. I had to have a break after that as it was a lot of guff.

Hello Matthew Reilly and the Three The Lost Cities. Absolute action-packed nonsense but easy to read.

Now on to Wheel of Time numero 7...

Man of Honour
Not technically reading, but listening...

Currently listening to the latest Alan Partridge book (From the Oasthouse) and its just as hilarious as the other two Alan Partridge books.

And also listening to Book 4 of the Bobiverse series, Heaven's River. Which is just as awesome as the first 3 :)

Commissario
Awesome. You're in for a treat. :D

Just picked up the first book of the Old Man's War series, need to get stuck into that.
You'll probably enjoy that ;)
I think the OMW series gets better as it goes on, as the characters develop and you learn more about what's going on.

Finished the expanse series now, really was fantastic. Can't wait for the final book which is out early next year I believe.

Now I'm about 200 pages into Pandora's star by Peter F Hamilton. Only 1000 pages to go :p
Only about 1000 in that part of the story...

IIRC that continuity of his has 8 books, but don't let that scare you:p they're all pretty darn good.

From memory his books were one of the reasons I got into ereaders early on, they're big things to lug around and because of the limits of the bindings you have to be careful if you want to keep the book in good condition.

Soldato
@RobDogDog The WoT is good but often it's a real slog. For all the highs it reaches you have to put up with exponential character number growth and tedious extended story arcs with annoying characters. Most of the Aes Sedai major arc is deeply flawed and hard reading. But the good bits are so very good and the plot is breathtaking in it's scope. Stick with it.

Mainly I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, it has an unusual first person style but so far is quite entertaining. I'm also enjoying the fact it's about a period of history I'm not especially familiar with. I'll have to go away and read about Henry VIII, Wolsey and Cromwell at some point.

Still dipping into Redcoat by Richard Holmes which is a really good history book. Reading The Victorian Kitchen Garden a book that accompanied the 1986 series which is interesting as well as going back though John Seymour seminal The New Complete Book of Self Sufficiency which is well worth anyones time.

Soldato
Slowly making my way through the Malazan book of the Fallen series, nearing the end of book 2 now lol, just picked up The Last Eperox as it's 99p on Kindle today and I've already read the first two, I might slip that in before hitting book 3 of the Malazan, not sure yet though :)

Soldato
You'll probably enjoy that ;)
I think the OMW series gets better as it goes on, as the characters develop and you learn more about what's going on.

Only about 1000 in that part of the story...

IIRC that continuity of his has 8 books, but don't let that scare you:p they're all pretty darn good.

From memory his books were one of the reasons I got into ereaders early on, they're big things to lug around and because of the limits of the bindings you have to be careful if you want to keep the book in good condition.

Yikes, I didn't realise there was that many books in the series, I assume they are all 1200 pages long :p Oh well, I'm enjoying Pandora's star, so it'll keep me busy :)

Commissario
Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained were the original pair, then he did the Void trilogy which takes place after, and the Fallers trilogy which takes place before/during and just after the Void.
You can read any of the sets as standalone but they do work better together:)

He's one of the authors who write big books, but doesn't seem to waste too much time, IIRC it took me about 3 attempts to get into The Nights Dawn Trilogy*, as the first book takes about 200-300 pages to really set things up so it took me a long time to read through them, then I did the rest of the book in about 3 days.

*If I know a book is meant to be good, i'll often try it at least twice before giving up as I know I have to be in the right mood for some books and writing styles to click, however I've tried Wheel of Time about 5 times now and never got past about 100 pages.

Associate
Finally finished Wheel of Time, book 6. I had to have a break after that as it was a lot of guff.

Hello Matthew Reilly and the Three The Lost Cities. Absolute action-packed nonsense but easy to read.

Now on to Wheel of Time numero 7...

Surprised you didn't like book 6, it's one of my favourites. Though that may be due to the ending :D.

You're heading into the 'trench' of the series now, with 8 and 9 being the worst of the lot IMO. That said they all contain some epic moments, and if you push through the payoff towards the end of the series is fantastic.

Associate
Surprised you didn't like book 6, it's one of my favourites. Though that may be due to the ending :D.

You're heading into the 'trench' of the series now, with 8 and 9 being the worst of the lot IMO. That said they all contain some epic moments, and if you push through the payoff towards the end of the series is fantastic.
Just under 200 pages through book 7 and actually quite enjoying it. I'd had a challenge to finish the series by Christmas... Not sure that's going to happen!

Associate
About halfway through "Dune" by Frank Herbert, picked it up after seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie. Enjoyable so far, and not as much of a struggle as some reviewers on reddit etc have made out to be. Just picking up pace now after all the introductions and backstory, so interested to see where the series goes.

Caporegime
Realised recently that despite having seen nearly all the adaptations that I have never read a Stephen King book. Started with The Institute which was a fun little Stranger Things style paranormal mystery story. Just finished Salem's Lot which was great.

What other King books are highly recommended? Preferably ones that haven't been adapted.

Back
Top Bottom