What book are you reading...

Soldato
Just finished The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. I'm a massive fan of Philip Marlowe, the original wise-cracking PI :). The stories are so good and very well thought-out, and the dialog is fantastic! I highly recommend any of the Philip Marlowe books for anyone wanting a really good story!

Now I'm on to The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman. A quick read but an interesting story which too many people (read - Christians) look to deeply into.

Not sure what I'm on to next but I'm trying to avoid A Clash of Kings. It is 800 pages of tiny text and I'm not looking forward to it as the first one was so dull.

Soldato
The reality dysfunction.

Read the commonwealth books already, so moving onto these. Only 10% of the way in, but it's pretty slow starting.

Million times better than the commonwealth series, I read a lot and this is one of the best series I ever had the pleasure of reading.

I am reading the "Age of Five" trilogy by Trudi Canavan, onto book 2 now very good read as well, though it isn't as good as "The Black Magician Trilogy" ..... yet.

To be honest its a garbage series. The BMT series was fantastic, really enjoyable and well paced. The age of five just never got going and was insipid, gave up near the end of the second book.

New follow up series to BMT trilogy out now though :)

Currently reading "The Dark River" by John Rwelve hHawks. It's quite good, interesting series if not written by the most skilled of authors.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently Reading:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969 by Alan Moore/Kevin O'Neill
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

Once through these, I have a mass pile of books and graphic novels to get through.

Anyone read the Books of the Malazan? Worth the effort for all 7+ books?

Soldato
Having finished the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson (though I see a fourth book is now out) I'm reading the Prefect by Alastair Reynolds.

Soldato
Anyone read the Books of the Malazan? Worth the effort for all 7+ books?

yes!!!

At times they can be confusing but He pulls the strings together extremely well as the series progesses. The ending was fantastic but a lot of people complained about questions not answered, certainly he leaves some things for you yourself to fill in but I don't think a lot of people realise that Ian Cameron Esselmont is writing a concurrent series which fills out the majority of the blanks. He would have wrote a lot more but he fell behind due to illness.

Deadhouse Gates (the second in the series) is an extremely powerful book which I would rate above anything else ever written in fantasy. The ending is heart rending and had me really shocked/saddened.

Memories of Ice is not far behind that standard too.

Soldato
Having finished the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson

what did you think of this series?

I finished it last week and when I wasn't the biggest fan whilst reading it (good but not great) I found the last book was very impressive and made sense of tthings and made the story a lot more comPelling and intricate how he tied everything up.

Associate
yes!!!

At times they can be confusing but He pulls the strings together extremely well as the series progesses. The ending was fantastic but a lot of people complained about questions not answered, certainly he leaves some things for you yourself to fill in but I don't think a lot of people realise that Ian Cameron Esselmont is writing a concurrent series which fills out the majority of the blanks. He would have wrote a lot more but he fell behind due to illness.

Deadhouse Gates (the second in the series) is an extremely powerful book which I would rate above anything else ever written in fantasy. The ending is heart rending and had me really shocked/saddened.

Memories of Ice is not far behind that standard too.

I think this is where I went wrong with this series. I was loaned Memories of Ice so that is where I started and they never mentioned it was a book from a middle of a series. I loved the book but felt I was missing out on something. I started to look about and that's when I found out it was a series so I am tempted to start over and from the beginning and work my way through.

Also tempted to look at some of the Warhammer 40K / Space Marine books but don't know anyone who has read them so wondering if anyone has any recommendations for these also :)

Currently my reading is mainly Sci-Fi (Philip K Dick, Yevgeny Zamyatin, Boris Strugatsky and Arkady Strugatsky and plenty others) so looking more towards sinking my teeth into the Malazan and 40k books.

Associate
Finished Storm of Swords and now reading A Feast for Crows before embarking on A Dance of Dragons. I wanted to catch up with them before tackling the latest and I'm glad I did. Lots of things going on which I had completely forgotton as well what could be a major plot point which is mentioned in just one line and not again and which passed me by the first time.

To Grey M@a - for 40k books I would recommend the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies by Dan Abnett along with his Gaunts Ghosts series. Also the Horus Heresy series by various authors is worth a read. the quality varies but they are generally quite good.

Associate
Finished Storm of Swords and now reading A Feast for Crows before embarking on A Dance of Dragons. I wanted to catch up with them before tackling the latest and I'm glad I did. Lots of things going on which I had completely forgotton as well what could be a major plot point which is mentioned in just one line and not again and which passed me by the first time.

To Grey M@a - for 40k books I would recommend the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies by Dan Abnett along with his Gaunts Ghosts series. Also the Horus Heresy series by various authors is worth a read. the quality varies but they are generally quite good.

Thanks for the recommendations :) Will keep an eye out for them.

Also thanks to No1newts for the Malazan books :)

Soldato
what did you think of this series?

I finished it last week and when I wasn't the biggest fan whilst reading it (good but not great) I found the last book was very impressive and made sense of tthings and made the story a lot more comPelling and intricate how he tied everything up.

Certainly an enjoyable thrilogy and I do agree that the third book was the best, there's still something odd about them though, not sure what if I'm honest and it might just have been the was Sanderson managed to put across the grey nature of his world.

Associate
Eisenhorn and Ravenor are also available as single compendiums, so you won't waste too much money if you don't like them.

Just found them on Amazon along with the Gaunt's Ghost trilogy in omnibus format, so I think I will stick them on the wishlist and churn through them if I like Ravenor as from looking about it's wise to start there, then go to Eisenhorn and then Ghost.

Soldato
Certainly an enjoyable thrilogy and I do agree that the third book was the best, there's still something odd about them though, not sure what if I'm honest and it might just have been the was Sanderson managed to put across the grey nature of his world.

That's exactly how I felt :p

A certain "strangeness" about the series that I couldn't get to grips with that stopped me fully engaging with them. Could never decide if it was the writing style, the characterisation but there was, as you put it, something "odd" about the series.

Soldato
Just found them on Amazon along with the Gaunt's Ghost trilogy in omnibus format, so I think I will stick them on the wishlist and churn through them if I like Ravenor as from looking about it's wise to start there, then go to Eisenhorn and then Ghost.

Eisenhorn >> Ravenor.

The two series are strongly connected with follow on characters and those introduced in Eisenhorn move on into Ravenor. You will be lost if you do it the other way round.

Also about the Malazan series make sure you check publishing dates and insert the Esselmont novels in the right order they were published against Eriksons as they move concurrently if you read them at the wrong time they have some big spoilers/story arc movement which effects Eriksons books and vice versa.

Really jealous you get to read Deadhouse Gates and the rest of the series from scratch!:o it's not as acclaimed as other "epics" like Jordan and Martin but whilst different I rate it a lot higher. Enjoy!!!

Soldato
Kindle - Bob Mayer - Eyes of the Hammer, DragonSim - he's an ex Green Beret and his books started out like a "less spy more action" version of Tom Clancy but then he started a few series of books (SEALS series, BLACK OPS series etc) which are very poor in comparison to his older works. My guess is he must release a Series book every 6 months and a proper book every 2-3 years which is a shame as the series books are very poor.

PaperBack - Eric L Harry - Arc Light, Protect and defend, Invasion & Society of the Mind - Again a Clancy style writer but easily one of the best with Clancy and Larry Bond. The 1st three are war books but then the last is about Artificial Intelligence and is one of the best books I've read.

Back
Top Bottom