What can my dad do?

Soldato
OP
Well it sounds like he may be screwed, I've just been going through all the paperwork and the lease company is the registered keeper, so can't get out it that way, although he is going to try and find out when the lease company received the NIP.

Also have more info on why he was got twice by the same camera, the road the camera is on used to be a 40 zone, there don't appear to be any speed signs or camera signs before the camera (his word not mine), after you pass this camera you go over a roundabout and there is a camera sign and 30 sign, so obviously my dad slowed down for this second camera and wasn't caught by it. First time he set the camera off he didn't realise it went off and approaching the 30 sign for the second camera assumed the speed limit had dropped for just this part of the road as it used to be a dual carriageway but now single lane. 2nd time the camera went off he saw the flash and then realised this part of the road was also a 30.

I'm going to go out with him when i get a chance and see the road for myself to see if there are any signs before the first camera and take pics.

As for the red light incident, don't think there is any excuse there but don't need to worry about that yet as no NIP has been received.

Soldato
He clearly cannot drive safely if he has got that many points. I wouldn't be surprised if they took his licence away.

Am sure there are safe van drivers around, but in all honestly the majority I have seen need their licence taking away. Obviously you are going to say that he is a good driver because you are his son, but anyone with that many points raises concerns.

Associate
This looks like a case for ..duh duh duuhhh...Captain Chao...sorry, Mr Loophole: Nick Freeman! Get saving!

captainchaosoj4.jpg

Soldato
OP
triggerthat said:
He clearly cannot drive safely if he has got that many points. I wouldn't be surprised if they took his licence away.

Am sure there are safe van drivers around, but in all honestly the majority I have seen need their licence taking away. Obviously you are going to say that he is a good driver because you are his son, but anyone with that many points raises concerns.

When I say he is a good driver, I really do mean it, I can tell the difference between good and bad drivers, I don't think I'm not a good driver because I speed everywhere (way over the limit) and take too many risks but I've only been caught once by a camera van as it was behind a tree, only reason I haven't lost my licence is because I'm good at spotting cameras and marked and unmarked police cars. My dad on the other hand is just unlucky, he goes no more than 10mph over the limit and manages to get caught, when he drives he is always very calm, never gets angry at anything, lets people out, he also seems to time everything right so the car/van slows down slowly without having to hit the brakes had, I'd say that means he can read the road well.

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
Well it sounds like he may be screwed, I've just been going through all the paperwork and the lease company is the registered keeper
Of course they are, it's their vehicle, not his.
so can't get out it that way, although he is going to try and find out when the lease company received the NIP.
Irrelevant. As already mentioned, the 14 day rule doesn't apply when lease or company vehicles are involved as they have to allow time for the registered keepers to find out and inform them of who is using the vehicle. I can't remember specifically but I think the limit extends to several months in these cases, maybe even six.

There's no way he's going to get off on a technicality such as that tbh. His best bet is to get a good lawyer and plead for the welfare of his employees. The court will take a dim view of any pleas he makes for he own wellbeing but if he can prove that others will suffer unfairly through no fault of their own he could stand a chance.

Permabanned
Previous points on his licence IIRC wont matter in court. Its only if a ban has been in force within the previous 3 years that they take that into consideration.

Permabanned
Vertigo1 said:
I can't remember specifically but I think the limit extends to several months in these cases, maybe even six.

True, the MAXIMUM length that the prosecution has to bring a court case is 6 months. After this, they can no longer take you to court and charges will be dropped.

Associate
What I don't get about cases such as this is when the driver claims "I need to be able to drive to do my job". Well if it's that important to you, then don't bloody well speed or go through red light cameras.

(Yes I speed, but to a sensible limit and never around town, before someone comes and suggests another saint.)

I have very little sympathy for someone who already has a stack of points and still drives in such a careless fashion. It does seem to be synonymous now though, that people are so unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions but try to hide behind loopholes or trying to point the finger of blame at someone/something else.

He should just go to court and accept that what he has done was wrong, for whatever the reason.

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
When I say he is a good driver, I really do mean it, I can tell the difference between good and bad drivers, I don't think I'm not a good driver because I speed everywhere (way over the limit) and take too many risks but I've only been caught once by a camera van as it was behind a tree, only reason I haven't lost my licence is because I'm good at spotting cameras and marked and unmarked police cars. My dad on the other hand is just unlucky, he goes no more than 10mph over the limit and manages to get caught, when he drives he is always very calm, never gets angry at anything, lets people out, he also seems to time everything right so the car/van slows down slowly without having to hit the brakes had, I'd say that means he can read the road well.

...From your description of your Dad and yourself ...It sounds as though its going to be a case 'like father like son'.

His time as a driver may be over as you say he's been driving 'brilliantly' for 30 years but now seems to have lapsed frequently. It seems from your own admission that you seem to be heading in the same direction as far as the 'I'll see what I can get away with' mentality goes.

You have been driving how long? and you can really tell a good driver from a bad one? yet admit to being a lucky dangerous driver yourself? :confused:

I think I'm one of the lucky ones as I don't live anywhere near the pair of you ;) :)

Associate
Unless this thread is a big wind up which attempts to provoke the type of responses you have already recieved, I would most definitely take your dad's licence away from him. He does not deserve to have it. Just like my brother - 9 points, and now he's possibly up for a hit and run.

Pair of idiots, tbh. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Barry Smalley said:
Unless this thread is a big wind up which attempts to provoke the type of responses you have already recieved, I would most definitely take your dad's licence away from him. He does not deserve to have it. Just like my brother - 9 points, and now he's possibly up for a hit and run.

Pair of idiots, tbh. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between running someone over and speeding you know, if he ran someone over then I'd be all for taking a licence away but speeding slightly does not mean you can't drive and are a danger to the road.

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
There is a difference between running someone over and speeding you know, if he ran someone over then I'd be all for taking a licence away but speeding slightly does not mean you can't drive and are a danger to the road.

it doesnt, but having more points than a pencil factory does :p

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:

No, but running red lights does.

Back
Top Bottom