What can my dad do?

Man of Honour
Sirrel Squirrel said:
My dad on the other hand is just unlucky, he goes no more than 10mph over the limit and manages to get caught, when he drives he is always very calm, never gets angry at anything, lets people out, he also seems to time everything right so the car/van slows down slowly without having to hit the brakes had, I'd say that means he can read the road well.
That's all very well and good but I'd rather have people doing a few mph over in a 40 than having a car in my side door who has carried on at lights.

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
All depends on the circumstances, not that I agree with running red lights

Sure, if you do it once.......but twice? He's clearly not a very good driver and CAN NOT read the road well at all.

Seriously, whatever you think about your dad, step back a second and wonder how he came to arrive at a possible 21 points on his license, its not because hes been unlucky now is it?

Soldato
OP
Burned_Alive said:
Sure, if you do it once.......but twice?

He only ran a red once, not sure on his reason for it, think he said something about temporary lights to me but can't recall the full story. (Another reason I can think of for going through a red light is if they get stuck on red, this has happened to me a few times (although this isn't my dad's reason))

If the leasing company received the NIP after 14 days does it count as invalid or does the fact they replied to it make no difference now?

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
If the leasing company received the NIP after 14 days does it count as invalid or does the fact they replied to it make no difference now?
For the umpteenth time, the 14 day limit doesn't apply in this situation so forget about it, the NIP is valid and he's not going to squirm out of it by claiming it was late arriving.

EDIT: Actually, I've just done some Googling on the subject and there appears to be a bit of confusion. Some people are claiming that the police have to at least contact the registered keeper of the vehicle within the 14 day limit to request further details. I can't presently find the actual legislation governing this. Do you know exactly when the lease company were first contacted?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Vertigo1 said:
EDIT: Actually, I've just done some Googling on the subject and there appears to be a bit of confusion. Some people are claiming that the police have to at least contact the registered keeper of the vehicle within the 14 day limit to request further details. I can't presently find the actual legislation governing this. Do you know exactly when the lease company were first contacted?

This is exactly what I'm trying to find out, my dad is going to get hold of the lease company and see when they received it and if it was after 14 days then I guess he'll speak to a lawyer (probably happen either way lol)

Associate
He deserves to be banned. It's not exactly hard to drive under the speed limit and if I had 9 points I'd make damn sure I did. Getting caught once is fair enough but repeatedly shows you're not fit to be on the road.

Man of Honour
Gribs said:
He deserves to be banned. It's not exactly hard to drive under the speed limit and if I had 9 points I'd make damn sure I did. Getting caught once is fair enough but repeatedly shows you're not fit to be on the road.

It's not the speeding its the fact most of them are fixed cameras, just how much attention to the road does this guy pay?

Soldato
OP
The_Dark_Side said:
i'd just like to make everyone reading this thread aware that i am still alive even though i haven't contributed.

just in case you were wondering ;)

I knew you were somewhere, I remember mentioning this thread to you in another thread just after I started it lol

Associate
I just want to know what makes your dad different to the rest of us? 12 points and that should be the end of the matter. I had a mate of mine that got 6 points in 2 days for speed ing on a duel carrageway (while he was in that probationary period) he accepted it took the ban then took another test.

Just tell your dad to grow up and accept in the eyes of the law he has comitted several civil offences which the punishment is loss of licence.

Soldato
Why is it that whenever people get caught speeding / running red lights there's an excuse? Temporary traffic lights... Hmmm

Another thing SS, you've got three points for speeding right? You got them because the camera was 'hidden' behind a tree, right?

Noooo, you got caught speeding because you were...speeding.

And you're what, 20? So you've got (at most) three years of driving experience. I don't mean to sound condescending (but I will anyway) but that's hardly a long time.

You're dad probably got caught jumping the red light because he wasn't paying attention, and was going too fast to stop safely when he realised that the light was red.

Regarding the 14 day limit for sending an NIP, it works as follows. The police force responsible for the area in which the offence was committed must send the notice out so that it has a reasonable chance of arriving with the registered owner of the vehicle within 14 days. In practical terms this means that the Police can wait up to 13 days after the offence to send the NIP.

On receipt of the NIP the registered owner has 28 days in which to respond, either admitting guilt, denying guilt or providing the details of the driver of the vehicle. The lease company would have responded within 28, from which the Police have another 14 days to notify the driver of said vehicle.

As to what your dad can do. Short term, probably nothing (he may be able to get his company involved to write a plea to the court but they may not be prepared to do that, and even if they do it probably won't change the outcome).

Long term (if & when he gets his license back) he could try slowing down, driving with his eyes open, not running lights and generally being more aware.

Hav

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The company is his own firm so maybe that'll swing it, I do agree though that under totting up he should lose his licence, he also agrees with this but if there is a way of getting out of it, then we are going to try and find one. If we found out the lease company received the NIP after say 18 days of the offence but replied to it, is there any legal ground there do you think?

To be honest though if there isn't some little loop hole out of it, he will lose his licence (what sort of time period we looking at btw?)

O also Havana, I got caught speeding by an unmarked white camera van, so that was nice of them :p (2 years ago today :p ) took it on the chin though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom