What can my dad do?

Soldato
I can fully understand being caught by a speed camera, I've almost been caught a few times. Something I cannot however fathom is being caught by a red light camera. Theres no way you can be caught by one unless you aren't paying attention or have no regard for traffic lights.

I have heard of cases whereby people have a LOT of points, but kept their licence as they have multiple dependants who rely on the person being able to drive.

Soldato
Im not going to be too bothered if he loses his licence - sorry, but we could all do without muppets who skip red lights and speed everywhere.

Im sick and tired of being tailgated by insane van drivers who would plough into the back of my car thus writing it off if I needed to stop quickly.

One less on the road would be very good news :)

Soldato
OP
D4VE said:
Im sick and tired of being tailgated by insane van drivers who would plough into the back of my car thus writing it off if I needed to stop quickly.

Have to disagree with that, he isn't like these white van drivers who tailgate everyone, just one that likes to speed a little bit going to and from work.

He spoke to the leasing company today, who have no record of receiving the NIP (they would keep records because they charge an admin fee), so we're going to reply to the NIP asking if the police can prove if the NIP was sent to the leasing company and when, if not dad could get away with it because the NIP he has in his hands would have been sent out too late (leasing company told him to say this lol :p )

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
Have to disagree with that, he isn't like these white van drivers who tailgate everyone, just one that likes to speed a little bit going to and from work.

He spoke to the leasing company today, who have no record of receiving the NIP (they would keep records because they charge an admin fee), so we're going to reply to the NIP asking if the police can prove if the NIP was sent to the leasing company and when, if not dad could get away with it because the NIP he has in his hands would have been sent out too late (leasing company told him to say this lol :p )

Splendid. So a driver that is, from what we've been told, unsafe to be let out in anything with more than 6bhp is going to try and get out of being prosecuted on a technicality. Nothing like a good bit of evading justice.

The speeding thing - yeah alright, I speed nigh-on constantly and will one day get what's coming to me for it. It is very easy to do, depending on the road and the limit of course. I only have a big problem with speeding in residential areas where it generally isn't safe to speed, and sometimes isn't safe to drive at the speed limit.

The red light camera - unforgiveable. Unless you run through trying to get out of the way of an emergency services vehicle, or you get run into from behind and are pushed through the camera trigger zone, then you deserve to be punished for it. And getting out of it because they didn't post the NIP quick enough is beyond a joke.

Associate
He should take it like a man, have the points, which will be added to the points he already has, serve the ban, and start again.

If he realy doesnt want the points, then maybe he should slow down, and pay attention to the lights that change colour every so often.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
If your Dad gets to keep his license becuase of his job than thats a terrible miscarriage of justice.

I mean how daft is he? He's on NINE points, needs his license for his work yet still does stupid things like run red lights?

Sorry, but get him off the road asap

cant agree more, should lose his license for at least a year be made to do a full re-test inc all the tick tests and stuff, he needs to learn to drive properly.

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I've just noticed something quite funny about the NIP notices, there is a section that says signature and it is dated 26/07/2006 but the officer has not signed it, any case there?

I'm sorry, but the best way for your dad to avoid prosecution would be for him to pay as much attention to the road as he is trying to get out of this mess.

I don't believe a driver can be "safe" whilst getting repeatedly caught by the same camera, and by jumping red lights. Plus, if he can't spot a brightly coloured camera, lord have mercy on cyclists and other road users.

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
There is a difference between running someone over and speeding you know, if he ran someone over then I'd be all for taking a licence away but speeding slightly does not mean you can't drive and are a danger to the road.

He hasn't run anybody over, mearly caught a cyclists handlebar with his wingmirror. Yes it was an accident, but he's still a pillock for not stopping. Your dad is the same - he needs to learn the rules of the road, and thats why the points system is in place.
He needs to look at his situation realistically and take each point as a warning, like any other sensible person would if they were on 9 points. He was on his ninth life as it was - now its time to pay the price. :)

Soldato
OP
Just had a thought about this, how long do the police have to prove the case and give you points, I heard somewhere it was 6 months and its now been 7 months since the date of the offence and nothing has happened other than the NIP and a phonecall where the police were trying to get my dad to say he was the driver.

Soldato
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I don't think he does deserve it tbh, I mean how many people here speed, I admit that I speed every time I get into my car, my dads just unfortunate enough to not know how to look out for cameras. Can't excuse the red lights though.

I reckon you are alone in that feeling.

Your dad deserves it. Sorry to be harsh, but its true. Getting points sucks, and it happens to the best of us, but you cannot possibly defend someone who has 21 points. Its just ridiculous, especially given than 2 were Red Light offences, for which the child killer brigade would be justified in a witch hunt.

Soldato
OP
Nothings happened, he got 2 NIPs through the post for speeding and at first he used the argument he didn't recieve them in the 14 day period but was told they got sent to his lease company before hand.

The leasing company however said that they had no record of recieving them, which is what my dad told the police. The police then phoned him and asked if the reason he was dragging it out was becausehe didn't know who the driver was and he said he didn't, the cop on the phone then said he'd have a look at the picture and describe the driver to my dad but the camera was behind so it was impossible to ID the driver.

That's how it was left and nothing has been heard since, think that phone call was about 4 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom