What car(s) for 3 child seats in the back?

Associate
We are planning ahead and looking to see what cars can take 3 child seats in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We currently have a BMW 3 Series Touring M Sport and it's not recommend to have a child seat in the middle, its currently top spec so would be after similar.

We don't want an MPV so limits our choices. There doesn't appear to be a huge amount of information for other types of cars / SUVs / 4x4s.

Open to lease and budget for cash would be 20k.

Ages:
7 - Currently on a booster, open to purchase a newer slider one for middle seat
18 Months - Is currently in a Britax First Class 0+/1 - Non isofix
New born - Currently have a Maxi Cosi with ISOFIX base

Will edit as the post goes.

List:
Kia Sportage - Look into
BMW X5 - Look into
Audi Q7 - Yes it can
XC90 - Look into
XC60 - Look into
A6 - Possibly
XF - Possibly

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Your going to need something with individual seats in the back rather than a bench. Not sure what SUVs fit this criteria. Probably the larger ones from various marquees.

Associate
OP
Your going to need something with individual seats in the back rather than a bench. Not sure what SUVs fit this criteria. Probably the larger ones from various marquees.

Thanks! thinking I might need to contact each manufacturer. I've heard reports even the X5 can't pull off 3 seats, Q7 can but that's just massive!

Soldato
Not convinced the shortage would do 3 seats across the back, the previous generation is certainly far short of being able to do it anyway

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks! thinking I might need to contact each manufacturer. I've heard reports even the X5 can't pull off 3 seats, Q7 can but that's just massive!

My sister resigned to an MPV, got herself a VW Touran.

Volvo XC90 on lease ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My sister resigned to an MPV, got herself a VW Touran.

I hoping it doesn't have to come to this! I or the Mrs doesn't want to drive an MPV.

Will double check the Sportage.

Will look into XC90 but wasn't keen on the 1 we saw in town this weekend.

Associate
We have had one for 6 years now, and although the platform is a bit long in tooth now they are great family cars and because of the new gen now being out, you can get previous gen 2015 cars for very good money.

** Having just gone and looked, I'm surprised at the price these are now going for, I bought mine form a main dealer, 18 months old with 12k on it for £22k, this was long before the model came out, so I'm a bit shocked the equivalent today is more like £28k. Given how old the platform is, I probably wouldn't recommend them at that price, if you needed big size, they are a great buy, but at 3 series/sport age sizes, there are probably better options around, Discovery Sport definitely being one.

Last edited:
Soldato
A couple of friends were in the same situation a few years back and, at the time, the only two non full sized MPVs (ie 5 seaters) that could take 3 child seats across the rear were the S-Max and C4 Picasso.

Soldato
Yep. Having looked into this stuff, you're either with a massive 4x4, or a big MPV. My Range Rover could just fit 3 kids seats along the rear bench. My 5 series can't, an X5 can't, in fact, many 4x4's just can't do it.

In the end, we opted for an MPV. And I actually like it. I see why people wouldn't, but I have no qualms at all about driving my Alhambra. It does everything we need it too, and then some.

Permabanned
This is something ive looked into extensively. Very few cars can accomodate 3 child seats.

I found out of the MPV's, the Picasso was the best, the CRV also has 3 isofix but you would need narrow seats to use them!

All the mid size estates/saloons struggle, certainly the A6 and XF could just do it, 5 Series and old e class, not a chance. Even most mid size SUV couldnt do it, i tried the CX5,X Trail,Outlander PHev and Rav4 and they were too narrow in the back.

Ive ended up ordering a Volvo XC60, as i found it was the only car that could do it, that wasnt a XC90 or Q7. Q5 and X5 were a struggle due to the shape of the rear seats.

Sadly you are in MPV territory. We have a 3 year old and the missus in the back of the A4 and my 4 years old goes in a booster in the front, ideally id want all 3 in the back, due the 3 year old being subject to travel sickness!

Soldato
Satsuma Mohican Jeronimo! :D

Seriously, cannot see getting three baby seats in line on the back seats in anything other than the largest of SUV's.

Land-cruiser perhaps..

(Me big fan LC80's! :cool: )

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'd be tempted to keep your current car and buy an all in one seat solution with three child seats as a single bench.

https://multimac.co.uk/range
That looks so sketchy. I'd much rather bolt my baby straight to the chassis thanks!

Q7 or XC90 would be my suggestion as the third row would be useful if you use a lie-flat seat like the Safe Sleeper for newborns as it takes up 2 rear seats.

The maxi-cosi, even with the newborn insert, puts pressure on the baby's neck and spine. Depends if you do long distances or not, as infants shouldn't be sitting in one for more than 20 minutes according to studies.

So yeah, a massive SUV if you don't want a van. Although I think a lowered Caravelle looks quite good :o

Back
Top Bottom