What car (saloon/hatch/4x4) £3.5-4k? Thank you!!

Soldato
Hi,

£3.5-4k to spend on a car, for my Mum.

Her Saab 2.0 Turbo 9000 died recently, so she needs a new car.

So here's my shortlist...(no sorry, no Mondeo's!).

I don't want to buy a carwith which, if something goes wrong, the parts cost a fortune. So which is the best/cheapest for upkeep?

Lexus IS200 (2000) - I hear these are rock solid?

BMW 5 series E39 (2000) - lots of cooling problems?

Honda CRV (2002) - fairly solid

Merc E Class (1999-2000) - rust, rust, and expensive parts?

Any others you'd suggest?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Assuming your mum isn't interested in cars in the slightest, you'll want to buy her the most reliable, hassle-free car possible. So the Honda then.

Soldato
OP
well she is interested in cars...(the Saab was quite fun to drive) but I'm more interested in her not borthering me with "this has gone wrong, that has gone wrong" etc...

Soldato
I know. You've listed 3 saloons and one '4x4' which I don't understand.

The chances are the Honda will be cheaper/more reliable than the Merc or BMW, but unsure on the IS200 as it's Toyota based or something so could well be just as tough.

Soldato
OP
I know. You've listed 3 saloons and one '4x4' which I don't understand.

The chances are the Honda will be cheaper/more reliable than the Merc or BMW, but unsure on the IS200 as it's Toyota based or something so could well be just as tough.

Well it's because she doesn't mind either (saloon or 4x4), the issue is really running costs. If a Honda CRV is the best option for running costs, ie it won't break too easily and costs £000's to fix,...well that's the way I'd prompt her.

It will be a 4x4 to be driven as a car, which is awful, but lets face it...90% of the ones sold in the UK probably are used like this. So it's 4x4 capapbility is of no issue.

I think the IS200, could also be a good bet.

Personally I don't like jap cars much, and instead throw my money at a Merc.

Thank you for the help so far guys.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
a saab 9000 died? not possible. you sure it wasn't a 900? :p

just get another saab. they don't build them like they used to, but a 9-5 should be nice and cheap.
however, a lexus is much less likely to go wrong

the 9000 is cavernous, will she not find the IS200 a little small?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
what went wrong in the end?

not entirely sure, i think head gasket went, then water was coming out of the engine, all whilst the car was doing 90-100mph.

Then the car stopped, luckily on the slip road of the motorway, and could not be restarted.

Back
Top Bottom