What car (saloon/hatch/4x4) £3.5-4k? Thank you!!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Assuming your mum isn't interested in cars in the slightest, you'll want to buy her the most reliable, hassle-free car possible. So the Honda then.

Aren't Lexus deemed better in the reliability stakes in all these surveys that do the rounds?

[TW]Fox;14941307 said:
Get the Lexus.

Seconded out of that lot, it'll be hassle free and a nice little car.

Associate
not entirely sure, i think head gasket went, then water was coming out of the engine, all whilst the car was doing 90-100mph.

Then the car stopped, luckily on the slip road of the motorway, and could not be restarted.

90-100mph on a slip road?! :eek:

Soldato
Honda or Lexus seeing as it's your mum.

I think a Honda will be easier and cheaper to run as it's a more common model.

The Lexus will probbably be more reliable, either car will more reliable than the German cars listed.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Let's face it though, £4k on a 10 year old Lexus that does high 20ies mpg yankie style and doesn't even have a poke to justify it is a bit of a waste. I never thought I would say that, but actually, a Mondeo would fit the bill. Cheap, service on every corner, you'll get 5 year old, low miles example for the money... But since no Mondeos - get a Primera or Avensis.

Last edited:
Soldato
What difference does it make?
None.

Clearly the 4wd is not what is key here, or is that too hard to understand?

Well actually it makes a big difference, let me explain.

The OP wants something reliable and attractive. This boils down to 2 things - cheap to run and making herself look "good"

4x4s are almost always going to be more expensive to run than a normal road car and a large proportion of drivers think people in 4x4s who dont need them offroad look like complete tools. So it doesn't actually fit either requirement - thats not too hard to understand is it? ;)

Soldato
Let's face it though, £4k on a 10 year old Lexus that does high 20ies mpg yankie style and doesn't even have a poke to justify it is a bit of a waste. I never thought I would say that, but actually, a Mondeo would fit the bill. Cheap, service on every corner, you'll get 5 year old, low miles example for the money... But since no Mondeos - get a Primera or Avensis.

I've restrained from saying it myself, because you're obviously right, they are the most logical choice for that budget and arguably technically the "best" car in this sort of class for the money.

But logic and technical ability aren't really factors here by the looks of things - this is normally what happens when women buy cars...:(

Soldato
OP
no, the car stopped on a slip road. could have been perfect timing at an upcoming junction..
Precisely, she was pretty lucky.

Thanks Morba for all your responses on here, couldn't of said it better myself. Cheers.

I never thought I would say that, but actually, a Mondeo would fit the bill. Cheap, service on every corner, you'll get 5 year old, low miles example for the money... But since no Mondeos - get a Primera or Avensis.
I agree with you re the Mondeo but,
I don't think she'd like either because....
fords are clearly not done here, has to be something with a little prestige it seems..
Cheers Morba.

4x4s are almost always going to be more expensive to run than a normal road car and a large proportion of drivers think people in 4x4s who dont need them offroad look like complete tools.
Running costs - Maybe in fuel costs, I'm more concerned about reliability and parts. As for looking like a tool, I think it's so common nowadays it's not a big deal. Also Rav-4's, CRVs, Freelanders etc...they aren't off-roaders really, they're bought to use on the road. It's people in Range Rovers, Cayenne's, Discovery's etc who are driving real off-roaders who get more abuse.

[TW]Fox;14941307 said:
Get the Lexus.
Aren't Lexus deemed better in the reliability stakes in all these surveys that do the rounds? Seconded out of that lot, it'll be hassle free and a nice little car.

Cheers only problem is...

the 9000 is cavernous, will she not find the IS200 a little small?

Damn...

Well let's see if i can convince her. But if it is too small, i'm glad to see the CRV hasn't had any scathing attacks on it's reliability, so that may be the one to go for if she wants a bigger car.

I will also make her look at a Mondeo.

Soldato
Running costs - Maybe in fuel costs, I'm more concerned about reliability and parts. As for looking like a tool, I think it's so common nowadays it's not a big deal. Also Rav-4's, CRVs, Freelanders etc...they aren't off-roaders really, they're bought to use on the road. It's people in Range Rovers, Cayenne's, Discovery's etc who are driving real off-roaders who get more abuse.

I think being a Honda reliability isnt going to be a problem, but as you say things like fuel, possibly insurance, tyres, servicing could all be more expensive compared to something like an Accord. I know what you're saying about soft roaders, but I think they do still have a bit of an image problem - that might just be me though :)

It doesnt sound like its a requirement for prestige, honda's not exactly a prestigious manufacturer - it sounds more like a badge prejudice against more "common" things like Fords. It wouldnt be the first time I've heard of someone having an irrational dislike for these things. I know I'm biased but I would try to get her to take off her anti-ford hat and look at them subjectively. They're relatively stylish in the right guise, reliable, huge/practical and comfortable yet handle well. Mazda 6 is basically a Mondeo. Volvo S60 might be worth a look too.

Soldato
OP
What about a fully serviced Alpha Romeo 156...that my Mum just told me she's seen and liked...:eek:

Alpha's and reliability? Like oil and water?????

Soldato
What about a fully serviced Alpha Romeo 156...that my Mum just told me she's seen and liked...:eek:

Alpha's and reliability? Like oil and water?????

Owned one, loved it, wouldnt reccomend it!

They are not reliable whatsoever - had numerous electric problems, interior quality was terrible although looked nice, door handles jammed and the rear ones would come off in your hand. It liked a litre of oil every 1000 miles and averaged 12mpg with fairly sensilbe driving.

Lovely lovely car, but avoid them if reliability and running costs are on the list of priorities at all.

Back
Top Bottom