• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What cards can I run the Palit Jetstream gtx 980 4gb with?

Associate
Hi,

This will be my first time attempting to run SLI and I have two issues.

1) The card takes up 2.5 slots (Palit Jetstream gtx 980 4gb) so running SLI will leave about 1cm between the cards which I know isn't good for cooling. I was thinking of maybe mounting one card vertically and one horizontally to resolve the cooling issue with a flexible SLI bridge between them but am struggling to find a case that could accommodate such oversized cards. Maybe there is a case that can mount the cards verticcally in SLI? Any advice on this would be welcome.

2) The second issue is that I will have to buy the card second hand due to age and I may not be able to find the same card. I know that the super jetstream will work but will it work with any other brands in sli if I can't find the same card?

Many thanks for the help and apologies if I have made any mistakes (my first forum post ever)

Last edited:
Caporegime
At my last SLI setup I had a 3slot Asus Direct CuII GTX 580 paired with an EVGA 2 slot blower design card, so long as the Asus was the top card the rig ran acceptably cool.

The temps were good and the different brands made no difference.

Caporegime
As long as it's a 980 then it'll work. Scania's post is a good tip though. Generally the top card will run hotter so a blower type card that expels head out of the case can be a good idea.

Soldato
not the question you asked.... But consider selling the 980 you have and buying a 1070 for not that much more than the net cost of adding another 980. I twice has sli'd 980's.... First a pair of super Jetstream's then a pair of Asus Poseidon's. The cards themselves were fine but sli was too flaky. Went to a 1070 afterwards and was a big (general)improvement

Associate
^
This, I've had sli twice and crossfire once, always swore each time never again (was happy when it worked but you rely on support which is often slow or non-existant). I finally learnt my lesson and now i sell cards and buy the best single card I can afford. 1080's have come down in price nicely and now some have faster memory too.

Back
Top Bottom