What cars scream 'chav' to you?

Underboss
Cars like Fiesta XR2's, RS Turbo's, Renault 5's and Golf GTi's are what you call a modern classic but they are no way better than a Punto GT

A Punto GT was was a good option for lots of lads who didn't want a Corsa SRi, Pug 106 GTi, MG ZR or Saxo VTS back in the day but I still would have any of the above cars over one (maybe not an R5 GTT as I can't afford unlimited head gaskets). I'd never put them in the same bracket as the classic's you've mentioned there tbh, the Uno Turbo and Pug 205 GTI are in those brackets.

I remember driving one once for a few days and my only real memory is the pedals were very close together.

Underboss
I'd have the Punto over any of those chavmobiles you mention to be honest.

Its the only one that can easily be turned up to go fast for starters.

An RS Turbo can be easily tuned to go fast?

You do like more left field choices in cars though so I'm not surprised we have different opinions of what a chavmobile is. In my eyes they only become chav when people start going all Halfords and sparco-tastic on them.

Think my view on cars was ruined by Max Power and the rest in all honesty.

Associate
I'd be surprised if any of them can be easily tuned to go fast, faster than stock maybe but the measuring stick of fast has moved on significantly from the days where they could have been considered fast...

Soldato
Caporegime
Well I think that there are maybe different definitions of chav at play here, as was discussed earlier in the thread. I don't picture people from properly rough estates with barely a penny to their name when talking about chavs these days, even though that's probably close to the original definition. I'm thinking of TOWIE / Love Island wannabes, and I think decent German cars on a lease are the bread and butter for those guys. I've always considered the RS range to be quite understated in terms of styling compared to the performance on offer, which is the opposite of what they look for. And I absolutely think that for any of them that do make it onto their reality TV show of choice, an Aston would probably be quite high on the list although I might be being a bit unfair there.

Did a google search and found a chav AM

Soldato
Visit central London (near Harrods mostly) in summer and you'll see lines of gold chavstone Martins, chavdrovers, chavboginis like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Forgot I posted this the other day !! Laughing at some of the comments :)

I know the Punto GT isn't to everyones taste and totally get it that people don't rate it as a classic, but it doesn't bother me and it's nice having something a bit different that hardly anybody knows about !!

I'll just try and defend it a little LOL

I've owned this car 17 years and basically the last 9 years it's been stored in my Mums garage as the floorpan went rusty, I decided 2 years ago to restore the complete underneath and got it back on the road last year, and I've loved every minute driving it on the road since, I forgot how much fun they are !! 170 BHP with no sign of a Turbo till after 3000rpm and no driving aids never stops putting a smile on your face :)

You will all think I'm mad but i also had an Alfa 147 GTA that I recently sold, as that needed some work doing and I couldn't be arsed to keep two project type cars running and one of them had to go and I decided to keep the Punto GT !! Few reasons why I did, there is only about 50 left on the road, easy to work on (I can do all the work myself) cheaper to run and parts, easier to tune (bigger turbo is on the cards aiming for a reliable 210bhp) it was just as quick as the Alfa to about 100mph and was more fun to drive !! and also for sentimental reasons, I knew I would miss the Punto if I sold it and wouldn't find another decent example, plenty of tidy 147 GTA's available if I want another !!

Would you class the Uno Turbo as a classic ? the Uno had a far superior engine than the Renault 5 (Fuel Injection in the Uno v Carburettor in the 5) the Punto GT is basically a repackaged Uno Turbo (Same Engine) I would't class a Renault any better than a FIAT LOL

Yeah not a fan of the Exhaust either, it's just what was on there from the 90's, will change it soon.

It has loads of character if you drove one
Never has been in demand (good thing in my eyes)

Cars like Fiesta XR2's, RS Turbo's, Renault 5's and Golf GTi's are what you call a modern classic but they are no way better than a Punto GT, and I certainly wouldn't swap it for any of them !!

It's in very good nick thank you :)

It gives a nice feeling knowing that your keeping an older car on the road :)

That's what my boss calls it lol

If anybody's interested, this guy on youtube test drives a lot of iconic cars and he seems to like it ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4-pRy9j6A

Reading my comments back, they sound a little harsh. There’s nothing wrong with your car and it’s great to see an enthusiast putting in effort to keep such cars on the road. You can blame Acme for his lame old therefore ‘modern classic’ comment :D

Soldato
I think the issue is, in theory any car can be made to be chav, its just a lot never are. I have never seen a Volvo S60 diesel chavved up.

Ooops

(Stolen from elsewhere)

056CDF00-076E-47B0-9A57-CAB33655269E-5079-000002528370D5FA_zps3b05dbe4.jpg

311327A3-E1CE-487A-83B4-847092AB60B3-5079-000002526A827B4F_zps2110f1be.jpg

Permabanned
Would you class the Uno Turbo as a classic ? the Uno had a far superior engine than the Renault 5 (Fuel Injection in the Uno v Carburettor in the 5) the Punto GT is basically a repackaged Uno Turbo (Same Engine) I would't class a Renault any better than a FIAT LOL
No personally I wouldn’t and I’m not sure I heard it being mentioned amongst classic hot hatch cars of the past.

Tell me what makes a Punto GT anymore special than a Toyota Starlet GT? Same formula 1.3 turbo just over 900kg, 130bhp and easily tune-able. So it’s not unique or special it’s just a small engined turbo powered car that will only turn heads because of its bright coloured paintwork.

It’s nothing personal mate but when you think classic hot hatches you think Mk1/2 Golf Gti, 205 Gti, R5 Turbo, Lancia Delta Integrale, Sierra Cosworth ect. A Punto or even UNO is not in that bracket full stop. Doesn’t mean it’s not fun to drive or that you can’t be proud to own it, it’s just not a classic of any kind.

That video summed it up when he said “It’s a Niche car, a car only few people are interested in”. Which is not the definition of a classic. The 205 Gti for example is viewed in a completely different light and anyone remotely interested in cars will have heard about at some point.

The Peugeot 205 was produced between 1983 and 1998 and was declared 'Car of the Decade' by CAR magazine in 1990. The styling of the 205 is often thought to be a Pininfarina design, however Gerard Welter, Peugeot's chief designer, claims it as an in-house design. The car is often credited as the car which turned Peugeot's fortunes around. The GTi version came in 1.6 litre and 1.9 litre engine derivatives and is considered one of the very best hot hatches of all time
https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2019-07-13/cars/ref-47-1992-peugeot-205-gti-19-litre/

Last edited:
Caporegime
An RS Turbo can be easily tuned to go fast?.

And how many more times as expensive is an RS Turbo going to be? It also wasn't one of the cars mentioned in your post. Leave the goal-posts where they are please. ;)

A Punto GT was was a good option for lots of lads who didn't want a Corsa SRi, Pug 106 GTi, MG ZR or Saxo VTS back in the day

Back
Top Bottom