1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What causes the green stuff...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by A2Z, 18 May 2006.

1. A2Z

Sgarrista

Just installed 3DMark 06, thought id run it with my 6600gt, before i installed new x1800xt

Its at 600/1200, temp was at 70 deg, and i got this, what causes it? Just wondering because i got it once or twice before in actul game (cs:s)

http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rd4id.jpg

2. Tommy B

Sgarrista

Memory overheat? The card is borked.

3. Vegeta

Soldato

I think that might be the core? Normally when I overclock my ram too much it doesnt look like that, I get all the textures with sharp edges no chance in colour or the whole screen freezes.

4. Stellios

Capodecina

Id say it looks lie memory, but the way it works itself around the FPS counter at the bottom im also tempted to say its drivers.

Check for any overheating, lower any overclocks and maybe update your drivers. If not then its probably the card.

5. Vegeta

Soldato

Yeah I've never seen artifacts like that as the colours are actually transparent as you see, could be driver issue.

6. A2Z

Sgarrista

ok well i did auto detect overclock thing again, and it brought it down to 582/1170

ran 3dmark06 again, and NO such green stuff this time, it ran for quite a while, but then got nvidia error saying that its not receiving sufficient power...so had to lower performance level, aka crashing 3dmark06

my psu is Akasa 400W, 12v rail went down to 11.52

i thought i would need a new PSU anyway for my new x1800xt, but thought i'd try it out first and see if its ok, but as it doesnt seem to run the 6600GT...is there any point trying the x1800xt until i get a new PSU... :(

7. JaFFa

Mobster

does it do any of this at stock speeds? Forget what its saying about the psu if it doesnt bork at stock then its the overclocking and nothing else thats causing the problems.

8. A2Z

Sgarrista

hmm ok well i put it back to stock (300/600 i think?) and it did the 2 gfx tests fine...then it got to the cpu test....was literally getting 0fps...so i just closed it...

9. JaFFa

Mobster

the cpu test is always mega low its a boring test. IMO its the clocking that messing it up your psu should be fine for the new card.