1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What chipset? (LGA775)

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by PGdude, 22 Sep 2009.

1. PGdude

Mobster

In terms of getting a motherboard, I need a chipset with the right things.

What's a good clocking chipset for LGA775, that holds PCiE 2.0

All I can figure so far is X38 P43, P45.

I'm no enthusiast, I just want a decent overclock on my Q6600, and the ability to run the newer generation cards coming up.

I'm on a hellish budget, so I really don't want to spend much. Hand me your Godlike advice, OcUK community. :(

2. LeJosh

Capodecina

Second hand or new from ocuk at £90 Asus p5q? I've heard they're good. Don't qoute me though, just from reading around.

Edit - It's P45 sorry.

3. PGdude

Mobster

Ah okay. Y'see that's reaching a bit far out of my range, considering I'm getting other components too :/

Are there last gen boards that handle PCiE 2? (X38 counts as one, but the boards still manage to cost a bit)

Edit: I just found this:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2007/06/06/p35_supports_pcie_2/1

...I did not know this. Is this widely accepted?

4. geekyEd

Mobster

An old P45 will do a Q6600 nicely, probably something in the MM. But to be honest you are wasting your money by "future proofing". Save the dosh and get a new motherboard when you can afford the new card. That is if you even need it, anything of an upgrad eon your 8400GS will yield huge results, I doubt that card even uses a 10th of the bandwidth in the pci-e 1.0 slot.

5. Gishee

Gangster

6. LeJosh

Capodecina

What exactly is your budget?

7. PGdude

Mobster

Thanks for the link. It does look good.

Yes. This 8400GS is utter tripe (Though giving me the pleasures of TF2 and L4D...only). I understand what you're saying. I shall heed your advice, and get a new motherboard the same time I get the card. For now I shall go for a PSU, Case and Cooler.

Thank you.

8. PGdude

Mobster

I think about £40, actually. Sorry for the late reply, I missed your post. It'd be worth waiting, right?

9. LeJosh

Capodecina

I'd wait till you got a bit more cash, £40 pound will get you around the same mobo. New anyway as far as second hand goes, I don't know. Get a new card aswell. :p