What desktop speakers are you using?

Soldato
Just curious to see what everyone is using? I'd like some small stereo speakers, possibly a sub too, to use when I'm not using my AKG 705 headphones. Any suggestions?

Soldato
I recently upgraded from an old 2.1 system to a 2.0 system with dedicated amplifier and passive speakers and have not looked back at all. I am listening to music continually when I am not playing games, sound quality is excellent even on low.

Onkyo A9010 amplifier and Dali Spektor 2 speakers:

GHUKapf.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
My on desk little speakers are JBL Control 1 Pro. I have larger speakers off desk that I use when using the TV which are Tannoy Super Red Monitors. (SRM-10B) With a sub the little JBL's do well. I needed fairly shallow speakers that were front ported as there is very little room on my desk. There is also a home built subwoofer under the desk that fills in the bass for the JBLs. (built around a SEAS L26ROY 10" driver and 250W plate amp)
33179952531_95188a5214_h.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Still using the KEF Q300. Theya re pretty astonishing speakers now for the money, even brand new they were superb. The bassline on them is so low and detailed, don't need a sub whatsoever.

Also this:

xPDQ6jr.gif

Associate
Using iLoud Micro Monitors. If I had the space I would get something larger but these are incredible for their size. Bass coming out them doesn't really make any sense.

I use my headphones a lot though which is in my sig.

Soldato
I'm mainly a headphone user, but have some Monitor Audio WS100 for when I want some background music when tidying up etc. They are rather excellent, considering their small size.

Kef Q100's, preferred them over the Q300's as they sounded more balanced, I have tried a lot of bookshelf speakers and these are imo about the best you'll get under £400, also the front ports on the older Kef's are a bonus.

I'm temped to try the new B&W 607's, they seem to be getting some great reviews.

edit -

Youtube vid of my Q100's recorded using a Tascam DR-05

Last edited:
Soldato
NAD C 316BEE AMP
Wharfedale Diamond 11.1

I mainly use headphones unless I've company over, but the setup is fantastic for the price I paid. My phone camera is being a bit of a nightmare at the moment so I can't take pictures, but I'll post some google shots of the speakers for reference:

https://exceptional-av.co.uk/media/...136e95/w/h/wharfedale-diamond-11.1-walnut.png

Not a fan of the majority of 'computer speakers' I've tried out, and the better ones often end up costing as much if not more than a decent amp + bookshelf speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Used to use KEF Q300s, upgraded to LS50s powered by a D3045.

czl6yUc.png

I'm jelly.

I'd love me a pair of the wireless LS50's but they are so damn expensive

At the moment, I'm using self powered Audio Pro T8L's desktop speakers (3.5 inch drivers and 1 inch tweeters) with a Audio Pro 8 inch downfiring sub. Connected to a soundcard - the entire setup costed less than a single wireless LS50 speaker, let alone two lol

Soldato
I'm jelly.

I'd love me a pair of the wireless LS50's but they are so damn expensive

I tried the LS50s wireless a month or so back. Sent them back.

They're not really as great as they are made out to be. The biggest difference is that the internal DSP adds a bass boost, that's basically it. Except you don't want such a small driver doing that level of bass, because it'll affect the upper frequencies. If you want bass, you add a sub.

Plus with amps such as the D 3045 being as compact as they are and providing all the power they need I don't see a reason to bother with the LS50w. Don't have to worry about them breaking down either.

Man of Honour
I don't get a lot of chances to use speakers these days :( I've got a set of Edifier 1600s for when I do. Largely I prefer headphones anyhow.

Still using the KEF Q300. Theya re pretty astonishing speakers now for the money, even brand new they were superb. The bassline on them is so low and detailed, don't need a sub whatsoever.

Then again you'd hope so for the money. I remember blowing silly money on KEFs when I was young and first time had a bit of money - great sound but sadly wasted when I was mostly awake at night.

Back
Top Bottom