1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what difference does sound card make?

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by MichaelHo, 22 Jan 2006.

1. MichaelHo

Wise Guy

Hi all,
    im looking to get a new set up very soon, i was under the impression that the onboard sound is pretty good nowadays, will a sound card make alot of differnce?
    all i want to do is listen to music and play games and watch the occasional movie.
    I have a 2.1 logitech speaker sub set up.

2. da_mic_1530

Sgarrista

to me it made a large difference, i listen 2 a lot of dance music, lots of bass etc, and onboard didnt kick out the true sound imo. + i had a 5.1 surround sound set up but music would only play 2.1, with my cheap OCUK 40 quid audigy 4 it upscales to all 5 speakers, bass is better and the overall sound quality is better, so good that on some of my lower quality dance songs you can hear where they have screwed the mixing up

3. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

You dont need to pay much to get a soundcard with a top-class digital to analog converter... buy M-Audio...

4. theforce

Wise Guy

Another vote for m-audio here. I went from an Audigy2Zs to a Revolution 5.1 and the difference was obvious.