1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you class as cheating?

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by antijoke, 10 Jun 2010.

1. antijoke

Caporegime

So I was talking to my girlfriend last night about my previous nights rage at MW2 and the people cheating online, and she claimed I cheat......I said hold on a minute I do not cheat, and she went on to say, how I ask her to look at how to do something or what to do next ( I have done this a couple of times during Uncharted & Uncharted 2 when I was stuck and couldn't see where to go next) I didn't class that as cheating but she did.

What would you class as cheating? Also do you cheat on single player games?

2. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

I don't think using a walkthrough counts as cheating.

3. TurnipHead

Soldato

I do. Even on Uncharted when if you spent too long it would come up with "Press O for a hint", and I wouldn't press it because I wanted to work it out on my own.

Although when I'm platinuming or 100%ing a game I will use a walkthrough after trying my hardest to do whatever Im doing.

4. orderoftheflame

Capodecina

Seems that you've mentioned two distinctly separate. The disruptive kind that effects other players (e.g. online using aimbots etc.)

And the harmless kind like using a a walkthrough, looking up what to do.

They're both cheating, but I think one of them is perfectly acceptable, though not everyone would want to do it (me included). The other is just down right wrong. Can you guess which? :p

I'd say your girlfriend is technically right, you were cheating. But at the end of the day, your only cheating yourself out of doing the game all on your own, if you can live with it it's fine I'd say. It's no different to asking someone sat next to you if they know what to do.

5. Cuchulain

Sgarrista

Slick!

6. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

OK, I'll agree that you're "cheating yourself" but it kinda depends how you use the walkthrough anyway. If you're going for 100% or something, or if you're massively stuck after lots of trying, then I don't really see the big deal.

7. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

Cheating is only when you're using it to get an advantage over other Human players imo. No such thing as cheating in a single player game for me.

8. antijoke

Caporegime

What I used the guide for was when I was stuck after getting the press 'o' for a hint, because it only did it once briefly and no matter how many times I looked in the same direction could I get the hint button to appear again.

I did spend about 30 minutes looking around before I got fed up and got her to check gamefaqs. :o

Lol, she brought it up as she asked why I play if I get so angry, to which I replied about people cheating and that was the start of the conversation.

9. utajoker

Capodecina

walkthroughs arnt cheating, cheating is doing something that changes the game to your advantage.

camping not cheating

wallhack cheating.

10. PhillyDee

Capodecina

Walkthroughs are cheating. Acceptable cheating though. I have used them in the past, but only as a very last resort! I hate cheating.

Cheating in online games is always unacceptable.

11. dannyjo22

Caporegime

I've lost count of the amount of times I've used a youtube guide when a bit was ****ing me off.

Yeah they are cheating but I'm only ever hurting myself and I don't care.

12. Sumanji

Sgarrista

You had to ask your chick for help in a video game?!

-100 man points

:p

13. antijoke

Caporegime

I asked her to look up something on gamfaqs whilst she was on the laptop. :p

CBA to look on my farm.

14. bigsharn

Hitman

15. Zensuji

Mobster

As walk throughs purely effect the player choosing to do so weather or not its cheating is their own perception. When I've used walk throughs its purely to avoid frustration and for me its not cheating. If however I used it for an entire adventure game then I'd probably feel like I'd cheated myself out of the gaming experience.

For me cheating these days means something that effects other players. But that's because my focus is online MP games.

16. aln

Wise Guy

If you're going for 100% in order to up a gaming score or list of online achievements, you are actually cheating against everyone else trying to do the same thing. The score junkies are mental though, most of them cheat, and none of them can understand what they're doing.

17. Zensuji

Mobster

I dont think that many really care though do they? I mean I go for achievements where I can but I couldn't care less about how others go about getting theirs.

18. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

It depends why you're doing it I guess. I mean, I've always thought it a bit daft that people play that Avatar game and all the old EA sports games for the easy points.

19. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

20. K1LLSW1TCH

Caporegime

I would never consider using a walkthrough for a single player game as cheating. If you had god mode and unlimited ammo then that's cheating, but a simple guide telling you where all the collectibles are, or how to beat a certain boss isn't cheating, you would've figured these things out for yourself eventually, it's just saving you time.