What do you class as cheating?

Caporegime
how to beat a certain boss isn't cheating, you would've figured these things out for yourself eventually, it's just saving you time.

I don't get a lot of time to play games, so I don't want to spend hours trying to fight the same boss over and over, figuring out which ability to use and when. Besides, knowing what to do can be a far cry from actually doing it. You still need to have the skills, even if you don't always figure it out for yourself.

Soldato
Cheating offline? Couldn't care less. I'l never use cheats but I'll refer to guides or walkthroughs if I get stuck or just want to whore the points out of a game quickly.

Online is a different matter and I detest any kind of online cheating and those that do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course it's cheating. It's not as serious, or morally contemptable as doing it in competetive play as you're not gaining an unfair advantage over another person, but you are still gaining an advantage outside of the game. In this case, via someone who has already completed it and is telling you how to do it.

Soldato
The only time I tend to use a guide is when Im doing achievments in a game and even then its mostly for the "collect 100 flags" type cheevos. Rarely would I get stuck long enough to consider using a guide for a first playthrough.

Personally I think its acceptable to use a guide to find collectables or whatever because life is too short to spend lots of hours hunting around in a game. It might technically be cheating but who is it cheating? Myself but if it saves me time I dont mind!

Cheating in an online game is different and a lot worse because its gaining an advantage over someone else. Its saying "look I dont have skill to improve my game properly so I'll cheat to beat you".

Soldato
Cheating on single player is not a problem. People can do as they please, because they do not affect anyone else.

Cheating on MP is another story, and not the least bit acceptable - unless you have a private server or some such and everyone is aware of and able to exploit said cheats.

Caporegime
I don't get a lot of time to play games, so I don't want to spend hours trying to fight the same boss over and over, figuring out which ability to use and when. Besides, knowing what to do can be a far cry from actually doing it. You still need to have the skills, even if you don't always figure it out for yourself.

Yeah that's a good point. Even if a guide tells you how to do something, you still have to pull it off for yourself. You don't gain any advantage over the enemy by using a guide, your abilities are the same, you're just more aware of how to use them best.

Soldato
My opinion is that if you're altering a multiplayer game to give you an advantage then you're cheating.
If you're using god mode, infinite ammo etc on single player games then you're cheating.
If you're using a walkthrough then you are kind of cheating as you're using information that you wouldn't otherwise know, so you're making the game last you for a lot less time, and so devaluing your purchase.

That's how I look at it, and yes, I have used walkthroughs before, most recently on red dead redemption to find out how to get the avatar awards - that's all I looked up though :o

Soldato
Yeah that's a good point. Even if I get tells you how to do something, you still have to pull it off for yourself. You don't gain any advantage over the enemy by using a guide, your abilities are the same, you're just more aware of how to use them best.

You do get an advantage though, lets say it's a horror survival and there's a particular route you have to work out, then looking it up gives you a massive advantage compared to finding it yourself and knowing the way forward does make it easier to pull off.

Caporegime
You do get an advantage though, lets say it's a horror survival and there's a particular route you have to work out, then looking it up gives you a massive advantage compared to finding it yourself and knowing the way forward does make it easier to pull off.

Sorry I just meant that it doesn't give your character any special abilities, added health or something like that. For example, I used a guide for Resident Evil 4, it didn't make me any better at the game, or make my character any more powerful, it just sold me how to do the puzzles and how I should be attacking the bosses. I could've figured these things out for myself but I couldn't be bothered. It didn't give me an advantage in that situation it just saved me time.

Soldato
Taking advantage of a bug/glitch in the game and using it to perform better is what i class as "cheating" (e.g. in MW2 for example, bugging the game to get yourself out of the skybox and using it to camp or whatever)

Cheat codes, well that goes without saying.

Walkthroughs and guides aren't cheating, just spoiling the game imo. I use them once the game is finished to find secrets or collectables. If im really REALLY stuck on a part, then ill refer to a guide.

Soldato
Just cheating yourself when you use cheats imo.

Walkthroughs I don't really see as cheating. I use them when I can't find hidden items that I mainly need for trophies/achievements. (Time saving pretty much)

I'm not going to get on a high horse and say glitching is completely stupid because I have done it a few times in COD. When World at War first came out there were loads of glitches where you could jump at rocks and fall through the map etc. Me and my mates did it a couple of times not because we wanted to win, but because it is actually funny! Depends how seriously you take the game tbh. I'd never use it just to get a decent score lol.

Aimbots etc. are retarded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom