What do you cook in a pressure / Slow Cooker

Caporegime
I often cook a full chicken in mine, then air fry it. So good for a midweek meal, with tons left over. Use whatever to cook it in, either a can of fruity IPA or just some lemons and veg (then use the juices to make a gravy).

Soldato
Soup, Curries, Chillis, bolognese and rice. What we use ours for. At least several times a week

Wouldn't ever be without one. I don't like the ones which go on top of a stove like my mother and grandmother use but this is just as good.

Caporegime
OP
Do they come out any better than cooked in a pan?

A chilli is quite a quick meal to make anyway (even from fresh), so curious if it makes it better.

As I understand it, the pressure in a pressure cooker will do what heating slow and low for a long time. Like breaking down fats (which is flavour). So you are cutting down cooking time.

The learning curve is because it is sealed, you don't need to add more water to begin with in order to simmer it down, you put in the amount of water you want at the start. But also bearing in mind that it takes time to pressurise so if you are just making a quite simple soup, it would not be any faster than on a stove.

But if you are cooking a 3hr, or 12hr stew or braise or anything needs slow, constant, long time, it will significantly reduce the cooking time with it.

Soldato
I like doing chicken thighs, finishes out like pulled chicken curry once it's done. Any Tough Beef or Lamb type always comes out well too, and Risotto you can't beat it.

Soldato
As I understand it, the pressure in a pressure cooker will do what heating slow and low for a long time. Like breaking down fats (which is flavour). So you are cutting down cooking time.

The learning curve is because it is sealed, you don't need to add more water to begin with in order to simmer it down, you put in the amount of water you want at the start. But also bearing in mind that it takes time to pressurise so if you are just making a quite simple soup, it would not be any faster than on a stove.

But if you are cooking a 3hr, or 12hr stew or braise or anything needs slow, constant, long time, it will significantly reduce the cooking time with it.

Oh i definitely see the appeal for meals that are cooked better slower or for longer durations. I slow cooked a big slice of beef the Christmas before last as we couldn't go for a bigger turkey due to oven space. That came out very nice.

It's more for shorter meals like chillies/curries where i'm curious whether it makes much difference.

Caporegime
OP
Oh i definitely see the appeal for meals that are cooked better slower or for longer durations. I slow cooked a big slice of beef the Christmas before last as we couldn't go for a bigger turkey due to oven space. That came out very nice.

It's more for shorter meals like chillies/curries where i'm curious whether it makes much difference.

Guess there is only one way to find out! Personally, I don't expect it to be as useful for curries as Spices in chillies and curries can overpower a lot of flavours to become the dominant flavour which means breaking down the protein in meat isn't as much of a benefit in a way which you can taste. It will no doubt make chicken or tough meat softer however.

Associate
I actually do my Chilli con carne and Bolognaise in the slow cooker these days. Get stuff started in a pan, then whack it all in the slow cooker on the lowest setting for the day. Always comes out lovely. In the past I've also done things like the fillings for pies.

Did once also do a whole ham joint!

Associate
Smoked BBQ food. Hear me out before applying pitch forks:

What're the worst thing about smoking pork ribs for 5 hours, or, beef ribs for 8? Firstly, the wait, but more importantly, how much of a pain in the rear it is to keep a BBQ going for that long at the appropriate temperature.
I will smoke the meat in the BBQ at 250F-ish (doesn't really matter, just not hot is the key), throwing a chunk of wood on every so often, until the initial heat dies in the charcoal; usually lasts a good 1hr30, maybe up to 2 hours, with good quality briquettes. Once the BBQ phase is done, go and throw the meat in the pressure cooker for 15-20 minutes.
If you want, throw it in a hot oven/under the grill for a few minutes while you prepare the sides, so you can crisp the bark back up or get any sauce to set. Serve, devour, wonder what you've been doing with your life up until this point.

Meat comes out smokey and godlike, in a fraction of the time, effort, and resource. I've got some leftover beef short rib in the freezer, if there's interest, I will defrost and throw a picture up of the smoke ring (and then consume like a ravenous animal).

Soldato
My approach is brown the meat in a pan, fry some onions (probably with garlic) add some stock, booze and vegetables as appropriate, season and slow cook for tender deliciousness.

Braising steak with onions and red wine is great (add some mushrooms towards the end) or belly of pork (other cuts are available) with cider and vegetables.

Soldato
I make a unconventional bolognese sauce (I use braising steak instead of mince) in my instant pot. I don't use it for anything else.

Back
Top Bottom