What do you cook in a pressure / Slow Cooker

Soldato
10mins on pressure cook but can just chuck everything in and forget about it so 100times easier! Plus it comes out spot on every time.
Interesting. So you sweat onions, celery first in the pot? And just out all of the stock in at once and put the lid on? :confused:

Soldato
I like to leave a lump of silverside or brisket going in the slow cooker with beer, onions, celery etc. Makes for a nice tender lump of beef to slice up for beef and Yorkshire pudding sandwiches/baps.

Keep meaning to try doing lobby in the slow cooker too, but it doesn't feel right. Lobby has to be done over two or three days and repeatedly brought up to the simmer and backed off again.

Soldato
I find the saute function takes too long to heat up personally, so I ended up doing it on a saucepan on gas stove then transfered it back into the pressure cooker.

I do it in the instant pot because of the washing up...

You can do a cracking pulled pork in it though. I can't remember specifically how long I do it for, but pressure cook and it's much quicker than some of the low and slow options.

Associate
The obvious soups, stews chilis.

Also love to throw in a bacon fillet - 1KG takes 45/50 mins. Pop a carrot and an onion in with it and it comes out falling apart. Delicious.

Associate
Did a lamb and spinach curry over weekend with an instant pot. Lamb leg was so tender after just 45 minutes. The sauce was a bit watery, so need to adjust recipe next time.

Soldato
I want to use my slow cooker more. But I'm finding the food tastes samey or sauce too watery.

My mum uses her pressure cooker for mince mixtures, marmalade and chutney. Before my parents had a microwave (mid 80s), they steamed the Xmas pud in the pressure cooker for about 20 mins.

Associate
I made this Kerala Beef Roast over the weekend with a nice cut of beef chuck from Farmison. It was delicious.

Read an interesting article on pressure cooking vs slow cooking on Serious Eats, here. According to the writer, pressure cooking doesn't just do the same thing as a slow cooker but more quickly - it blows slow cooking out of the water flavour/texture wise.

Associate
Beef ribs!!

I've got one of the old style stove top pressure cookers so I brown the meat first, then add seasoning, onions, garlic etc. with water and pressure cook for about 45 minutes!

Roast potatoes in the oven at the exact same time and microwave rice during the last ten minutes..

One of the easiest and most hearty meals done in under an hour!

Soldato
Picked up an Instant Pot Duo Crisp last week and a bit annoyed at myself for dismissing instant pots/ninja foodies as a gimmick for so long.

Did a butter chicken recipe on Sunday, wanted something easy but flavourful to get the hang of using the pot - probably took me longer to prep the ingredients than the actual cooking time :D

Did air fried sweet potato chips the other night, vast improvement over using our actual air fryer so missus already sold that on FB marketplace.

Last night was a salmon risotto, around 15/20 mins including prep time.

Absolutely sold on it, money well spent, I did want a Foodi originally but all reviews said they're basically the same and the price point on the IP was much more favourable.

Have about 20 bookmarks for meals I want to try over the coming weeks.

Soldato
I love the idea of a pressure cooker but to be honest fitting one big enough to do a big 'ol stew with loads of leftovers to freeze just ain't going to happen in our kitchen. Not now that we finally bought a microwave :p Doing a risotto in 10mins sounds awesome though..

Back
Top Bottom