What do you reckon to the RX-8?

Soldato
Is it impossible to convert to LPG. 2nd hand price would follow the bad mpg, that effect would only increase as it gets older and petrol in general gets more expensive over the years

A 500 pound(ish) cat D write off might be worth a punt, I'm on the lookout for one :)
With a working engine it'd be worth more in parts?

Last edited:
Soldato
I had one a couple of years back. Great car to drive but horrible fuel economy (I got 17mpg!) and the engine was on its last legs by the time it had done 60k miles. Bought it for 8k and traded in for 4k a year later. Mazda refused to fix the engine despite having a 12 month Mazda warranty. Worst thing I've ever bought in my life! Never again!

Caporegime
The setup in question is a bose set up so would cost more than normal

Damn, that's the first time I've ever seen him put his foot in his mouth, must be tired ;)

Seriously though its an easy mistake, I doubt most people know the RX8 has a premium sound system like that.

Yes they are, they are Bose.

But others got there ahead of me before I had the chance of a lifetime to tell you this information

Thanks

Bose is not a standard of sound quality, it is a brand. The Honda Integra DC5 comes with 6pot Brembos but they are the bottom of the range Brembos, to buy them from Honda costs more than better Brembo's elsewhere.

Do you have some technical specs on the Bose speakers? If not I'll go with the fact they are typically manufacturer marked up and there will be better alternatives for half the price.

Soldato
With a working engine it'd be worth more in parts?

Not sure you would get the paperwork to back up the engine if it was a Cat D or C, don't think I would bother with a compression test; I'd honestly have one for 500 and just run it until it dies, I wouldn't want to pay anymore incase it died quickly though :D

Soldato
Bose is not a standard of sound quality, it is a brand.

It's far from Mazda OEM, and fitting sony speakers from halfords is not ideal compromise IMHO.

IIRC you can spec Audi's and the Nissan 350z and GT-R come with the Bose Premium Sound Package as standard. Something that is a selling point to most, and personally I wouldn't want the previous owner sticking Sony speakers from Halfords on because he couldn't afford Bose...

Oh and of course there are cheaper alternatives than buying from the manufacturer, isn't this the case with most things!!

Caporegime
It's far from Mazda OEM, and fitting sony speakers from halfords is not ideal compromise IMHO.

IIRC you can spec Audi's and the Nissan 350z and GT-R come with the Bose Premium Sound Package as standard. Something that is a selling point to most, and personally I wouldn't want the previous owner sticking Sony speakers from Halfords on because he couldn't afford Bose...

Oh and of course there are cheaper alternatives than buying from the manufacturer, isn't this the case with most things!!

You're backing away from the point I was picking you up on: You can get a better speaker for half the price that Mazda want. Can you say unequivocally that the Bose speaker is worth the £600 price tag?

Soldato
You're backing away from the point I was picking you up on: You can get a better speaker for half the price that Mazda want. Can you say unequivocally that the Bose speaker is worth the £600 price tag?

Certainly not, but I would want to be buying a car that had OEM parts. I wouldn't want a Bose speaker in the drivers door and a Sony speaker in the passengers door.

Don
The Bose system in the RX8 is pants. Really pants.
I had to do a lot of modification to mine before I got it sounding halfway decent.

No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

As has been said, there are good Bose systems and bad ones. The Bose in the A8 is superb. The Bose in the RX8 is poor.

Caporegime
tumblr_m5ri9mwPjM1rr9f6y.jpg

Soldato
the thing is ross you wouldn't be able to tell if it was a BOSE or sony speaker just by sitting in the car. So this arguement is kinda pointless. I'm also 99% sure you can get the OEM BOSE speakers from elsewhere for considerably cheaper than what mazda quote.

Caporegime
lol @ that

Well I was sorting making the point that there is page after page of people selling BOSE speakers and even complete sets with amps selling for £110 that

a) Many people rip the BOSE system out of the RX-8 and upgrade to a better sound system

b) They can't be that good if 9 speakers and 3 amps are only worth £110 2nd hand........

c) That even the biggest speakers 2nd hand go for £30 a pair so you would be mad to buy them from the dealer new at £600

Back
Top Bottom