What do you reckon to the RX-8?

Soldato
The Speakers are BOSE, the stereo is Panasonic!

Anyway, I've got one and it's ace... love it, bit of sideways action, plenty of power if you drive it correctly however low on torque people say? Well I've got bothe a Type R FN2 and the RX8 and they just deliver the power differently, I find the RX8 needs to be in 1 gear lower half the time... hey ho. This is a day after new wheels... I've got AP front lip spiler, slash arches and side skirts to go on then it's super charger time!

Downsides: Quite a difficult car to drive slowly, not the smoothest... a lot of clutch needed, MPG is 17 at the moment and if I drove it properly I'd think i'd be around 12mpg. I get hit by £475 tax as it was 4 weeks after the March cut off... as it's a limited edition only 400 made Evolve....

... below with horrible colour wheels...

534487_10152282140500296_1528126041_n.jpg

533719_10152282140690296_606851726_n.jpg

263470_10152282140605296_950095830_n.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Nice Cars, the RX-8 included.
It a car I love the look of, but don't think I ever could live with the Engine.
Why Super Charge it? Is a Turbo Charger not better for that kind of high revving engine?

Soldato
Nice Cars, the RX-8 included.
It a car I love the look of, but don't think I ever could live with the Engine.
Why Super Charge it? Is a Turbo Charger not better for that kind of high revving engine?

TBH the engine, depends, you look after it's it's fine?!?! You don't it won't be... and people think they can run these cars like normal cars, you can't you have to check everything 3 times more often... however, there's nothing necessarily unreliable about them, just more hassle than people can be bothered with and without looking after, they basically go bad and rotors go on them. The Rotary engine is fantastic, but do think that after Mazda designed this to be 300bhp, then backed off and left it naturally powered, think they made a mistake, this car is quick and nicely balance, but with 60-70bhp more around 300bhp and 230lbs of torque it'd be epic...

As for Supercharger... prefer the instant and constant power and I'd expect that a turbo would tail off once you got past 7k rpm... just personally think a supercharger is better suited, however Mazda disagreed with the RX7... I've had a turbo, never had a supercharged car before... so...

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Speakers are BOSE, the stereo is Panasonic!

Anyway, I've got one and it's ace... love it, bit of sideways action, plenty of power if you drive it correctly however low on torque people say? Well I've got bothe a Type R FN2 and the RX8 and they just deliver the power differently, I find the RX8 needs to be in 1 gear lower half the time... hey ho. This is a day after new wheels... I've got AP front lip spiler, slash arches and side skirts to go on then it's super charger time!

Downsides: Quite a difficult car to drive slowly, not the smoothest... a lot of clutch needed, MPG is 17 at the moment and if I drove it properly I'd think i'd be around 12mpg. I get hit by £475 tax as it was 4 weeks after the March cut off... as it's a limited edition only 400 made Evolve....

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk/Roxy/10small.jpg

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk/Roxy/5big.jpg

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk/Roxy/6big.jpg

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk/Roxy/7big.jpg

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk/Roxy/8big.jpg

Awesome!

Bet that compactor would give those threes torque figures a run for their money :p

Soldato
Awesome!

Bet that compactor would give those threes torque figures a run for their money :p
Yeah reckon supercharged, you'd make an easy 300bhp and around 230lbs of torque, which is enough... I reckon this'd give a 0-60 time around the 5.2-5.4s territory... probably would need to push rears to a 235/245 tyre possibly... bare in mind the car weighs around 1300kg (230bhp/ton if super charged) and a E46 M3 weighs around 1550kg (p/w of 218bhp/ton) and the newer M3 weighs 1700kg (243bhp/ton) so in theory you'd expect similar figures...

Last edited:
Soldato
Correct.

Owned one for a while. Decent car to drive but drinks way too much petrol. Crazy for a car that only has up to 230bhp!
Agreed it is appalling, but tbh, people knew/know this when buying it. However when RX8 was released petrol was probably around 80p per litre... now it's £1.40 say for V Power so... it opens a can of worms and the RX8's are disappearing from our roads... 4-5 years ago, loads of them, quite a rare car now as no frigger can afford to run them properly.

Soldato
Agreed it is appalling, but tbh, people knew/know this when buying it. However when RX8 was released petrol was probably around 80p per litre... now it's £1.40 say for V Power so... it opens a can of worms and the RX8's are disappearing from our roads... 4-5 years ago, loads of them, quite a rare car now as no frigger can afford to run them properly.
People can afford to run them properly, it just isn't worth it when for the same costs you can have something leagues better!

Soldato

think about what the car was competing with

Celica
TT
z4

etc

all completely conventional cars with complete conventional fuel and oil consumption

can you imagine your typical female TT driver, commuting to and from work, putting her make up on in traffic in her pretty little coupe, actually beign concerned or bothered about the oil level in the engine??

no normal car owner can be bothered to check the oil everytime the fill up with petrol , hence the car was a total failure

Soldato
People can afford to run them properly, it just isn't worth it when for the same costs you can have something leagues better!
Leagues better in what way?, faster in a straight line? I hear this all the time... it's a good looking car and looks are personal anyway, handling? Mmmm I'd like to see many cars leave it through a load of twisties... and straight line? Well yeah we can all find something faster than the previous car in a straight line, but it's hardly slow and you're forgetting, you can buy an RX8 for £2500 so what costs for looking after it, you save in outlay. Find me such a new car that handles and does 0-60 in 6.4s for £2500 with all equipment as standard? I don't see anything? Some examples of leagues better would be good.

Soldato
think about what the car was competing with

Celica
TT
z4

etc

all completely conventional cars with complete conventional fuel and oil consumption

can you imagine your typical female TT driver, commuting to and from work, putting her make up on in traffic in her pretty little coupe, actually beign concerned or bothered about the oil level in the engine??

no normal car owner can be bothered to check the oil everytime the fill up with petrol , hence the car was a total failure
No, she won't, but thats' not the cars fault in any way, that's just useless drivers who can't be bothered checking for routine maintenance. Out of that list, sorry, I'd not have anyone of them over an RX8?? The new shaped Cilica is one fugly car, the TT is a mess and always has been for hair dressers even the 3.2... 350 is a good car granted... Z4 isn't in the same ball part as it's a roadster like an Mx5 and TBH, I'd have an mx5 over a Z4 anyday BUt the Z4 is a cracking car so yeah fair enough. However it's all personal so...the RX8 has never been conventional so, if you can't be bothered, then on't buy it. However that in no way means a poor car. Look at the Evo, blimey you have to service every two minutes.

At the end of the day, no point arguing about it, you either like these or not... plenty of ****ed off owners and also people who love them... swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:
Soldato
£800 for a rebuild? That doesn't sound too bad, it depends on whether you can get something as good for the cost of one +£800 I suppose.

e - missed a few replies stating similar cars.

Soldato
£800 for a rebuild? That doesn't sound too bad, it depends on whether you can get something as good for the cost of one +£800 I suppose.

e - missed a few replies stating similar cars.
depends what's gone, but I've put £2500 aside for a rebuild on Roxy if it ever needs it, hopefully with tender loving care it wont, compression results were spot on so hopefully, with oil changes every 6k or less (which is what I do on all my cars anyway) and sparks/coil etc... I've not seen a single rebuild for an RX8 costing £800 notes???...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom