What do you reckon to the RX-8?

Soldato
No, she won't, but thats' not the cars fault in any way, that's just useless drivers who can't be bothered checking for routine maintenance.

useless drivers = normal drivers
routine maintenance = take it to a garage once every TWO years for servicing due to "long life" servicing

so it was the cars fault. it was a car introduced into a world where the normal consumer is not interested in looking after the car

then the geeks who will look after a car expect performance/firepower which the rx8 doesnt give

Soldato
Agreed it is appalling, but tbh, people knew/know this when buying it. However when RX8 was released petrol was probably around 80p per litre... now it's £1.40 say for V Power so... it opens a can of worms and the RX8's are disappearing from our roads... 4-5 years ago, loads of them, quite a rare car now as no frigger can afford to run them properly.

I think I would've kept mine a lot longer if it hadn't drained so much petrol. As stated before. Great car to sit in and drive. Loved the seating position.

Kudos to the fellow who pointed out the cars it was up against!

Soldato
Leagues better in what way?, faster in a straight line? I hear this all the time... it's a good looking car and looks are personal anyway, handling? Mmmm I'd like to see many cars leave it through a load of twisties... and straight line? Well yeah we can all find something faster than the previous car in a straight line, but it's hardly slow and you're forgetting, you can buy an RX8 for £2500 so what costs for looking after it, you save in outlay. Find me such a new car that handles and does 0-60 in 6.4s for £2500 with all equipment as standard? I don't see anything? Some examples of leagues better would be good.

So the initial cost is cheap... Really cheap. Heck I remember paying around 15k for mine... I digress...

Anyways, the potential costs to repair that car could easily surpass that 2500.00.... RX8 would probably make a decent track toy!

Soldato
useless drivers = normal drivers
routine maintenance = take it to a garage once every TWO years for servicing due to "long life" servicing

so it was the cars fault. it was a car introduced into a world where the normal consumer is not interested in looking after the car

then the geeks who will look after a car expect performance/firepower which the rx8 doesnt give

No, anyone who buys a car, then doesn't do their research and know how to look after it is useless, not normal. i.e. my missus can't be bothered and I end up doing == useless.

Agree on your second point, buying a car then moaning it's underpowered is silly, you bought it for what it is... however I believe that it can be powered up if need be. However if I don't get a super charger, then I'm happy as it is and accept it for what it is.

Soldato
263470_10152282140605296_950095830_n.jpg

Hey Pug any chance of the Mazda colour code?

Soldato
It's simply Copper Red Mica mate, they only did this on the RX8 Evolve and the RX8 Nemesis... so should be easy to get from Mazda. However, I'll take a look in the car and see if I can find the code for you :)

Soldato
No, anyone who buys a car, then doesn't do their research and know how to look after it is useless, not normal. i.e. my missus can't be bothered and I end up doing == useless.

Agree on your second point, buying a car then moaning it's underpowered is silly, you bought it for what it is... however I believe that it can be powered up if need be. However if I don't get a super charger, then I'm happy as it is and accept it for what it is.

when the car was brand new what literature would there have been to warn Mr and Mrs Superdry that it drank a STUPID amount a fuel and an equal amount of oil?

would the dealer have told them about apex seals, flooding, having to check oil every time they filled up?

what research can you do on a car when it is brand new?

do me a favour, tell me all about the common problems on 2 year old Toyota GT86s please? you cant, we dont have hindsight yet lol

Soldato
when the car was brand new what literature would there have been to warn Mr and Mrs Superdry that it drank a STUPID amount a fuel and an equal amount of oil?

would the dealer have told them about apex seals, flooding, having to check oil every time they filled up?

what research can you do on a car when it is brand new?

do me a favour, tell me all about the common problems on 2 year old Toyota GT86s please? you cant, we dont have hindsight yet lol

Oh dear... here we go (and I can take screen shots if you like), however not arguing anymore:

1. The MPG is stated official figure of 24mpg, now we know it's less, but then again it's less in EVERY car I've owned. Anyone buying "should" know the rotary uses more fuel as well, so think we've covered this one. I've had 17mpg, 19mpg and the last tank averaged 21mg.
  2. Apex seals go with poor maintenance NOT as default. Flooding is covered in the Mazda handbook and what to do if you flood it, checking oil is covered in the handbook and when. All maintenance infact is covered in the handbook, do it and the engine will last. How long it'll last, is a different question, how long does an engine last in a 2003 Saab Aero? As long as that particular engine will last.. i.e. how long is a piece of string.
  3. The only research you could do on the RX8 is the previous rotary engines... poor fuel economy and flooding and engine rebuilds, so yeah you can on a new car when the main thing in question here is the engine and has been in previous cars. Then you have the Mazda Jap quality, and lets be honest, the rest of the car seems bullet proof, certainly as much as any other car out there. Sorry if you bought the RX8 from new, and didn't do any research on a Rotary engine with pro's and con's then you're simply a kn0b.
Common problems on a Toyota GT86s? Don't know as the car is turd and underpowered... looks nice though ;) Now there's a car that needs a 2.5-3.2 litre engine in it...

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Whereas the RX8 is underpowered and stupendously bad on fuel.
197bhp v's 228bhp... 6.4s to 60 v's 7+ seconds to 60... ok. 7+ seconds to 60 and 143mph top speed isn't a sports car surely... 2012 now, 9 years post RX8, Toyota release a "sports car" with less than what you get in a hot hatch nowadays... that makes sense?

Depends what you class as a sports car really... lets just say everything is underpowered compared to an M5 lol.

Soldato
I think the Subaru BRZ version once STI'ed will be a very nice car if the price is right.
Agreed, deffo, both cars infact... are very good BUt under powered with the last decade of constant power hikes... this type of car a 0-60 of around 6 or under nowdays to justify them me thinks as both handle like a dream by all accounts... but if a clio or a megane leaves you for dead, that's a bit embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom