What documents/important things should I keep in my car?

Associate
OP
Ukadder said:
It's kinda cute in a sympathetic puppy eyes way. I believe the Haynes manuals detail how to change wheels/bulbs and all of those sorts of things, and they will be writen directly for your car. May want to buy a torch as well if it's dark.

I was going to pick one of them up, I am attemping to install a cd multichanger in the next couple of weeks so I'll know where everything is.

I'm very good at the puppy dog eyes, working them on my boss at the moment to get a parking space at the car park at work instead of the one 5 minutes away.

Associate
Just my insurance policy, a can of deicer, and the usual tools for changing a tyre. And the spare of course. Nothing else to rattle about or hinder the mighty performance of those 115 ponies :) I do keep my photocard in my wallet though.

Caporegime
In my truck, I keep a Triangle, first aid kit, Fire extinguisher small tool kit & my digital camera.

A pen & notepad are also handy.

In my car, I have a first aid kit, said camera from above is kept in my work bag, that leaves my truck when I get into my car....

I also have numerous toys & books for my daughter to amuse herself with, not forgetting the most important.....

A fine choice of CD's. :D

I carry NO documents in my vehicles, I do carry my licence (paper & card) in my wallet.

Insurance details I have written down in my owners manual, incase of accident.....

Soldato
Pen + paper in case i do have an accident to note down details. (The Focus has a nifty little pen holder next to the hand brake that was asking to be filled).
Everything needed to change a wheel + a pump
Break down cover.
Lots of spare bulbs I've collected (ie my old headlight bulbs when I replaced them for phillips ultravision ones, as well as odd ones left when I had to by them in pairs to replace a single blown bulb).
Wind up torch (Christmas pressie only use I can think of!)
Lots of CDs.
Very simple toolkit (more for my RC stuff).
Ice scraper.
GB map.

Soldato
I'd never carry any documents which I couldn't afford to lose.

I have an insurance certificate and V5 equivalency document in the glovebox. I also carry my photocard license in my wallet and so have that on me at all times.

Equipment wise I have the usual spare wheel, jack and tyre iron in the boot, together with a warning triangle and first aid kit.

Cant be bothered with a fire extinquisher as I have nowhere convenient to secure one and if the car catches fire I shall bail out in a hurry and happily watch it burn as I'll get a nice new shiny replacement :D

Soldato
I keep multiple post it note pads / pens (free from work)
-Jack / Spare wheel
-Torch
-Tool kit that came with the car (basic spanners and stuff)
-Halfords tool kit (was reduced from £30 to £15 so i took my chance. its shaped like a wheel and inside there is: torch, lots of fuses, jump leads, a thing that runs off the ciggie lighter that pumps up your tyres, cable ties, batteries etc. really good bit of kit)
-Phone + charger
-De-icer
- £5 or a bit more in change

Last edited:
Soldato
the original driving licence is so very important, i broke down on my regular trip to cornwall but was refused a repacement car by the AA as i didnt have mine (sent off for a change of address) and dvla was shut so they couldnt get a phone conformation.
a set of waterproofs are also an idea for the boot.

Back
Top Bottom