What Does Everyone Think of This?

Soldato
HEADRAT said:
Well I guess its a type of justice :confused:

HEADRAT

Residents in the nearby area have reported a drop in robberies, murder and general lawlessness since the court began its work, Radio HornAfrik said.

...and one that works, albeit very strict and with harsh penalties it works as a deterrant. not like our system, give the criminal a slap on the back of the hand and send him out again or... lock him up with luxuries and a means where he can perfect his "trade of crime" then set free with his new knowledge.

could you forgive someone who killed a member of your close family in cold blood ?

Soldato
@ Von Smallhousen

Revenge, ofcourse - what can you hope to gain for killing somebody for something they did? Justice? not in my book. State sanctioned murder is not something I have any belief in. Far better (though more costly) is to detain a person for the rest of their natrual life- make them aware every day of the consequences of their action. The only flaw in that plan is that here in the UK we seem to want our long term incarcerations to have things like sky tv and such like. Where's the 'breaking large rocks with small hammers' for 20 out of every 24 hours, I ask?

Soldato
Von Smallhausen said:
So is the death penalty in the United States justice ? Or revenge ?

The death penalty in America wont leave the 'victim' covered in the blood of the person who committed the crime, nor would it involve the victim executing the person.

If I were to tie a guilty person up in my basement for 10 years, it is not equivalent to someone going to prison

Soldato
Pebbles said:
Woah :( A human life seems to get cheaper every day.

ah.. what a sheltered life you live if you think this is the worst it gets. at least this person (a criminal i might add) died for a reason... thousandss of people are killed around the world every day and the murders escape without punishment. what of the countless number of civilians that die "accidently" during the recent wars of this world that arent always brought to the attention of the media because its not sensationalistic enough for them.

i agree it has become too easy to take a human life but at the end of the day we have that choice, why people walk that road i dont know. its all about the want for power and our free will which makes it possible.

Soldato
jumpy said:
@ Far better (though more costly) is to detain a person for the rest of their natrual life- make them aware every day of the consequences of their action.

I'm not sure that is any more humane than death IMHO, the loss of liberty for the rest of your life locked in a cage doesn't really sound very civilised either.

HEADRAT

Soldato
Phantom said:
Justice is a form of revenge - a lawful revenge for the innocent party.

Justice isn't about revenge, its more about society having a method of reducing crime. If it were only about revenge, then victimless crimes would go unpunished

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Justice isn't about revenge, its more about society having a method of reducing crime. If it were only about revenge, then victimless crimes would go unpunished

justice isnt about reducing crime per say, its more to do with having a means for dealing with the event of the crime itself - no crime therefore no need for justice.

laws are made to keep society in order. criminals break the law and so justice is needed to enforce it if it ever occurs.

the severity of the justice is the factor in which it deters the potential criminal from breaking the law.

Soldato
HEADRAT said:
I'm not sure that is any more humane than death IMHO, the loss of liberty for the rest of your life locked in a cage doesn't really sound very civilised either.

HEADRAT

Sure, but neither is commiting murder in the first place. As a punnishment, execution leaves a lot to be desired. But what's really worse here? the crime, or the manner in which 'justice' (such as it is) is exacted? Imo a lifetime of detention is a more enduring punnishment for murder - you take somebody's life, then the state effectively takes away all the freedom you'll ever have; the ony difference is you're alive to contemplate the consequences of the deed and the position you now find yourself. That's punnishment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Phantom said:
ah.. what a sheltered life you live if you think this is the worst it gets. at least this person (a criminal i might add) died for a reason... thousandss of people are killed around the world every day and the murders escape without punishment.

Sheltered, nah. Can anyone live a truly sheltered life these days? I'm under no illusions that this is 'mild' compared to some of the stuff that goes on. Doesnt make it any less shocking though. And a child will now have to live with the fact he ended another persons life in a violent grisly way, how is that any kind of justice?

Back
Top Bottom