What Does Everyone Think of This?

Suspended
cleanbluesky said:
Your reasoning for this is...
People are motivated by revenge more than by a genuine desire to safeguard society - witness people's reactions to rapists or paedophiles. The judicial system is not infallible, and will bow to pressure from the populace.

I should probably clarify - I don't mean to say that justice in this country is entirely motivated by revenge, just that it isn't entirely unmotivated by it. The desire for revenge is so strongly ingrained in human nature that we couldn't possibly ignore it when sentencing - look at judges who say "You committed a disgusting, horrifying crime...".

Man of Honour
jumpy said:
@ Von Smallhousen

Revenge, ofcourse - what can you hope to gain for killing somebody for something they did? Justice? not in my book.

Justice to you may not be justice to someone else. I am personally in favour of the death penalty should certain criteria be met and certain crimes committed. That is just my opinion though.

State sanctioned murder is not something I have any belief in.

It is not murder though, certainly in the case of the United States as an example.

The only flaw in that plan is that here in the UK we seem to want our long term incarcerations to have things like sky tv and such like. Where's the 'breaking large rocks with small hammers' for 20 out of every 24 hours, I ask?

Malc30 posted a very interesting post about such things a little while back and it completely changed my view. A lifer, and I mean life, has nothing to lose and can become like a caged animal. Treat like **** every day, fine to some. No TV or pool ? Fine to some. Hard labour every day ? Great idea, or is it ?s The problem is, that caged animal has to be looked after by someone, namely the prison authorities and by denying them even small treats they can be put in danger as a result as he has nothing to lose so why not just take them hostage ? Slash them up for fun or take out any sexual frustrations on them ?

Work for rewards by all means but to deny them anything will create more problems than it solves.

Associate
mysticsniper said:
It kinda sad and pathetic and this type of justice should not be tollerated in any country in any part of the world :(
Least of all developed countries such as the US.
cleanbluesky said:
The death penalty in America wont leave the 'victim' covered in the blood of the person who committed the crime, nor would it involve the victim executing the person.
The end result is the same though.

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
People are motivated by revenge more than by a genuine desire to safeguard society - witness people's reactions to rapists or paedophiles. The judicial system is not infallible, and will bow to pressure from the populace.

I think you mean the 'mob attitude' and the mob attitude is a very different mechanism to revenge. People all get riled up about pedos to prove just how noble they are to everyone else.

I should probably clarify - I don't mean to say that justice in this country is entirely motivated by revenge, just that it isn't entirely unmotivated by it. The desire for revenge is so strongly ingrained in human nature that we couldn't possibly ignore it when sentencing - look at judges who say "You committed a disgusting, horrifying crime...".

I wonder just how motived by a sense that crimes should be avenged our justice system (or any justice system) is... but I think that many people get confused if they think justice is about nothing more than revenge, or that an act of revenge is directly comparable to justice.

Man of Honour
Smithy said:
If you are willing to kill because he killed your dad, then your just as guilty as being able to take someones life as he is. You are no better than he is, other than he did it and you just satisfy yourself in your mind knowing you posess the ability to do it.

We all as humans possess the ability to kill, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Sure, you may say that you would never do it, but I bet there are situations where you would. I make no bones about it, I can and would kill someone in the right circumstances. It's not something I want to happen (more for the fact I never want the right circumstances to occur), but it's something I would do without hesitation. As an example, what if in a few years time when I have kids, someone has a knife and is about to stab my child? I'd kill him to protect my child, as would any parent.

Don't try to confuse the issues in the original article anyway. One person murdered someone, the other killed the murdered in a government sanctioned execution. As pointed out it's not the only place that has the death penalty, it's just in this case the person to carry out the execution was related to the victim. If he didn't want to do it, then I'm sure someone else would have.

Soldato
Mr Spew said:
The end result is the same though.

The end result is certainly not the same.

In one condition, justice is agreed by society and if execution is warranted it is done in method that are mostly considered humain and does not require the relatives of the victim to become a murderer themselves.

Soldato
In answer to the OP I would say that this is wrong, what concern me are the following

Due course
The damage to the boy as a result of being invited to kill
The potential for revenge upon the boy by the convicted's family and then the cycle of revenge this might promote
The painful/ prolonged death that the convicted man faced

I don't like the concept of the death sentence but then neither do I like the concept of life with no chance of rehabilitation, I'm not sure what the solution is but is sure as hell isn't getting a 16 year old boy to commit homocide with legal sanction.

MB

Soldato
Matblack said:
I don't like the concept of the death sentence but then neither do I like the concept of life with no chance of rehabilitation, I'm not sure what the solution is but is sure as hell isn't getting a 16 year old boy to commit homocide with legal sanction.

MB

Spot on.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
mysticsniper said:
It kinda sad and pathetic and this type of justice should not be tollerated in any country in any part of the world :(

And why is that?

Although I would go for state executions as CBS, but who am I to argue with Sarah's law? :p

Soldato
Pebbles said:
Sheltered, nah. Can anyone live a truly sheltered life these days? I'm under no illusions that this is 'mild' compared to some of the stuff that goes on. Doesnt make it any less shocking though. And a child will now have to live with the fact he ended another persons life in a violent grisly way, how is that any kind of justice?

yes but thats their society for you - he will live with the satisfaction that the murderer who killed his father did not get away. he does not have to worry about accidently bumping into him in the street or that he is free to possibly commit the same crime again. id say he would be able to sleep easier at night and more at ease with himself. we're judging these people by our standards but they do not live the way we do.. we should be more concerned about our own issues and problems before we to enforce our values on others... i mean, you only have to look at Iraq to see just how badly it can go wrong.

Soldato
Phantom said:
yes but thats their society for you - he will live with the satisfaction that the murderer who killed his father did not get away. he does not have to worry about accidently bumping into him in the street or that he is free to possibly commit the same crime again. id say he would be able to sleep easier at night and more at ease with himself. we're judging these people by our standards but they do not live the way we do.. we should be more concerned about our own issues and problems before we to enforce our values on others... i mean, you only have to look at Iraq to see just how badly it can go wrong.

i understand what you're saying, but there is no right or wrong answer in this case. Surely the guys son now has to walk around and see the guy that killed his father. So how does he get revenge? He's not the one that committed the crime, yet he is the one paying the price knowing his father died such a horrible and undignified death at the hands of this person.

Suspended
cleanbluesky said:
I think you mean the 'mob attitude' and the mob attitude is a very different mechanism to revenge. People all get riled up about pedos to prove just how noble they are to everyone else.
An important factor to be sure, but I can't believe that it's the only one. I think that people do genuinely find paedophiles repulsive, and want to see them punished because they're repulsive, in addition to their desire to safeguard children.

Associate
cleanbluesky said:
The end result is certainly not the same.

In one condition, justice is agreed by society and if execution is warranted it is done in method that are mostly considered humain and does not require the relatives of the victim to become a murderer themselves.
The justice was agreed by the society there, what difference does it make who takes the life as revenge? If anything, if gives the guy the justice he feels he deserves, and allows him to be at ease with his fathers death now he knows for certain his killer has been brought to what they deem as justice.

Man of Honour
Sparky__H said:
I guarantee the pain he feels will outlast any satisfaction he gets from murdering a murderer.

And he will take both of them to the grave with him.

I disagree, although I see your point.

In this country, should such a thing be sanctioned, I would say that you have a point. This country is different and your average child has been brought up in a way that is incomparable to Somali children.

Somalia is lawless and it has had no government since 1991, the running of the country being in the hands of warlords where violence, rape, looting, robbery, murder and the Avtomat Kalashnikova are the way of life. Your child over there will be adept at using an AK or a machete and will have no compunction whatsoever about taking a life and I don't see this child regretting his action as that is the way he has been brought up.

Caporegime
Von Smallhausen said:
I disagree, although I see your point.

In this country, should such a thing be sanctioned, I would say that you have a point. This country is different and your average child has been brought up in a way that is incomparable to Somali children.

Somalia is lawless and it has had no government since 1991, the running of the country being in the hands of warlords where violence, rape, looting, robbery, murder and the Avtomat Kalashnikova are the way of life. Your child over there will be adept at using an AK or a machete and will have no compunction whatsoever about taking a life and I don't see this child regretting his action as that is the way he has been brought up.

Agreed there Von, nicely put. I dont think for a second this kid will regret his actions. Perhaps if it happened here then he might have regrets but over in Somalia its basically survival of the fittest with the way the country is ie no law and order or hardly exists.

Back
Top Bottom