What does reset and clean disk do In windows 10

Soldato
Needing to wipe my laptops so I can sell them.

I really don’t want to go through the whole wipe disk and install windows business also I don’t have a clue where the keys are stored. Both laptops came with legit windows (8 and 8.1) which I upgraded through the free upgrades. So it is added incentive for me not wiping the disk and reinstall.

So came across this option in reset windows that it can wipe disk. I really like to know how that works and does it effectively leave the windows installation intact and wipes and writes junk data over area of SSD that used to hold data that had been wiped to make the reset secure?

Anyway, if anyone has either used this option or got any insight please let me know. Done some googling and not came up with any satisfactory answer on what happens to the windows installation and subsequently the license

Soldato
When you use the reset option and say you don't want to keep personal data you get a further data erasure choice which suggests it will overwrite data so that it is more difficult for someone to attempt to restore files. The windows installation is then just set back to the out of box experience, as if you were booting it for the first time.

Microsoft web site detailing the options

Soldato
OP
I got no files on them that I want to keep. Everything important is on USB drive anyway. Just want to wipe the apps and data (mainly chrome data) and return windows to fresh install state but with license intact as I don’t have the keys to do a fresh install and put the key in.

many way, experimenting it on one of the laptop to see how it goes :).

Soldato
OP
Update, it basically scrubs the drive. Tho, I didn’t test it with recovery software but the windows OS is reset and license is activated upon reset.

all good. That is a decent feature tbh.

Back
Top Bottom