What film did you watch last night?

Associate
I watched Black Sea again last night (2014, Jude Law)

Brilliant film. Better with every viewing. Tense, well acted, human centred story and fantastic characters all round. Loved the slightly horror-esque elements too.

9/10

Soldato
Thin Red Line is up there too.

Found this film boring when I watched it, mind you I watched it at the cinema and was quite young when I went to see it, and I believe its a very long film.

I went to the cinema to see it as well and was also bored stiff tbh. I have honestly never seen so many people leave a cinema before, during the screening, probably only a third left by the end of the film.

Associate
I went to the cinema to see it as well and was also bored stiff tbh. I have honestly never seen so many people leave a cinema before, during the screening, probably only a third left by the end of the film.

Terrence Malick is an acquired taste for sure. Think same goes for his other films too (Tree of Life, A New World, etc). I had same experience when I saw it at cinema. But it stayed with me (I couldn't stop dwelling on the tracking shots in the grass, the way it captured dramatic changes in lighting as a result of the sun coming out from the clouds etc during actual combat scenes, the music).

It's a piece of high art in my mind. Not just a war film but when the combat kicks in I found it very well executed.

Soldato
- Italian 1963 film about a director whose life is falling apart while trying to make a new film that captures all essences of life but can't. It is considered one of the best films ever made but it really didn't grab me, maybe I wasn't in the mood. I have seen it compared to Synechdote, New York which I loved but I couldn't quite get into this. 3/5

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Terrence Malick is an acquired taste for sure.
It's a piece of high art in my mind. Not just a war film but when the combat kicks in I found it very well executed.

"The Thin Red Line" was a classic example of a "borrowed idea" twin movie - it still happens to this day - production team pitches something to a studio, they don't agree on a deal, they take it to another studio, but the first studio liked the idea so much that they decide to borrow the idea and release something-along-those-lines, obviously with a different script. This way you end up with twin films - like "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact" few months apart, or "Braveheart" and "Rob Roy", "Showgirls" and "Striptease", "Antz" and "Bug's Life" - you get the picture. Well, in 1998 the pitch of the year was probably "high budget, high concept star studded war movie with artful visuals exposing brutality of war to new, never seen before levels". Except the original team was better, faster and simpler in execution - "Saving Private Ryan" stole the pitch, and the studio "twin" - The Thin Red Line - simply went overboard with arty aspect - endless poetic droning and self indulgent monologue, good visuals, but not on subject etc. It's pretty, it's solid, it's award worthy, it's arty, but it was a snooze fest in cinema and it's still a movie you skip through to the next channel when it's on TV now.

Associate
Allied (2016) - 3/10

Although the settings are beautiful and the atmospheres are rich, it all looks far too perfect and unrealistic. The story plays out as expected and isn’t thrilling or exciting due to the slow pace and lack of flow. Great acting from the leads, but overall, not particularly interesting.

Associate
"The Thin Red Line" was a classic example of a "borrowed idea" twin movie - it still happens to this day - production team pitches something to a studio, they don't agree on a deal, they take it to another studio, but the first studio liked the idea so much that they decide to borrow the idea and release something-along-those-lines, obviously with a different script. This way you end up with twin films - like "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact" few months apart, or "Braveheart" and "Rob Roy", "Showgirls" and "Striptease", "Antz" and "Bug's Life" - you get the picture. Well, in 1998 the pitch of the year was probably "high budget, high concept star studded war movie with artful visuals exposing brutality of war to new, never seen before levels". Except the original team was better, faster and simpler in execution - "Saving Private Ryan" stole the pitch, and the studio "twin" - The Thin Red Line - simply went overboard with arty aspect - endless poetic droning and self indulgent monologue, good visuals, but not on subject etc. It's pretty, it's solid, it's award worthy, it's arty, but it was a snooze fest in cinema and it's still a movie you skip through to the next channel when it's on TV now.

It's an acquired taste for sure but I wouldn't say it went overboard. That's just Mallick's style which is like marmite (love it or hate it). It's transcendent film making - very much like A New World which is a very profound film too I think.

He holds a ridiculous amount of sway in Hollywood and can pretty much do what he likes. Thin Red Line was his first film in 20 years at the time (last 2 were absolute classics from the 70s) and every A-Lister you could think of jumped at chance to be in it.

Apparently Jon Cusack assumed he was the lead role... but the final cut barely used his character. Same for George Clooney, and Mickey Rourke.

It definitely lingers on a bit too much near the end but the main part of the movie (attack on the bunker) and lead up to that are pretty much my favourite moments in cinema.

Caporegime
The Visit - 4/10

The Conjuring 2 - 5/10

I think I give up with this genre now. I'm actually starting to think there aren't any good modern horror films out there at all. Apart from the obvious classics such as The Thing and a few others, the horror genre is probably the worst, piece of crap genre available. Awful. Just truly awful. Every single film.

Soldato
Sicario - 5/10

Felt it was pretty average - Didn't keep me entertained the whole way through - Thought the ending made the whole thing feel a little bit pointless... Not even sure why Emily Blunt was in it :p
Was made even more disappointed by the fact that so many people had rated it well - I guess I got my hopes up too high...

Soldato
Terrence Malick is an acquired taste for sure. Think same goes for his other films too (Tree of Life, A New World, etc). I had same experience when I saw it at cinema. But it stayed with me (I couldn't stop dwelling on the tracking shots in the grass, the way it captured dramatic changes in lighting as a result of the sun coming out from the clouds etc during actual combat scenes, the music).

I liked when Woody Harrelson blew his own bum off :D

Sorry Phonesis, I felt like the post needed a little sarcasm to detract from the "high art" :D

Caporegime
Rockin' With Judy Jetson [1988]

Because my gf suddenly had the urge to watch it.
Hannah Barbera stuff is so damn awful, the only saving grace was Elroy's sick burns on Judy when the news are doing a flashback on her past.
Oh, and I'll be damned if that code isn't catchy as ****!
Gleep glorp fleeble flabble zip zod zam!

Man of Honour
Watched a late night horror flick, Don't Breathe (2016).

Quite enjoyed it, and feel it's worthy of its 7.4 rating. Had some genuine jump scare moments, and a nice twist thrown in as well. Bit of a different take on this kind of plot.

Back
Top Bottom