What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
The Great Wall

Okay, this is a stupid movie, silly movie, CGI fest with a predictable and absurd ending....but I enjoyed it.

It's not a long film, it gets going pretty fast, the pacing was good at the start but dies down, some of the action pieces especially at the first half had me really hooked and got to say the army looks amazing, a few WOW moments and I would be lying if I said it wasn't fun to watch the spectacle namely at the set up of the film and looking at how grand everything is.

But it's not a good movie, cliche galore, dialogue was so stupid, there is one part where Damon and his mate ask each other "What are red?", Damon says "They are Archers", as if it is to explain to the audience afraid they couldn't figure it out. Some of the CGI of the monster is also baddddd, I saw it in 3D as it is the only showing today so the out of focus element hides the ropey CGI but even that I could tell it is very dodgy in places.

4/10 as a movie, 8/10 for entertainment if you switch you mind off.

6/10 overall.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I watched the trailer for The Great Wall last night and my immediate thought was that I've never seen a main actor so out of place in a film before. It didn't look good.

Soldato
Lion (2016) 9/10

Fantastic movie!

The amount of emotions I went throughout watching it (mainly sadness) was unreal.

Very much like Slumdog Millionaire with its depiction of India's poverty and abuse (ignoring the common denominator with Dev Patel). Its a very accurate portrayal of the plight of some of India's children and their ability to 'go missing'. A real time fear that both me and my wife always have with our children over here.

The only downside relates to the 3rd quarter of the movie. I did not understand the relevance of Rooney Mara's character, such a well established and serious actress with a bit role.

As a guy in his mid 30s by the time the credits rolled I was in a mess. A proper tear jerker.

Caporegime
Step Up 4: Miami Heat

Predictable as sin (I actually word for word pre-empted certain lines of dialogue), story told a million times, but I'll be damned if the dance scenes aren't pretty damn cool, and the leads are both easy on the eye for either gender.

4/10 for dance scenes and fit wimmins.

Associate
Watched Hacksaw Ridge, I really enjoyed it. I love World War 2 movies in general though. I thought the battle scenes were suitably gritty given the theatre of war, a good amount of CQB. I still can't take Vince Vaughn seriously though, I've seen him in way too many comedy films and the idea of him unloading a Grease Gun into a squad of Japs doesn't sit right. Not that he was bad in the role, just can't get my head around it, feel like he should be creeping on a MILF in a bar or something! My favourite war film, by far, is Saving Private Ryan but this was very good and one of the best ones I've seen in a good long time. 8/10.

Soldato
Watched Hacksaw Ridge, I really enjoyed it. I love World War 2 movies in general though. I thought the battle scenes were suitably gritty given the theatre of war, a good amount of CQB. I still can't take Vince Vaughn seriously though, I've seen him in way too many comedy films and the idea of him unloading a Grease Gun into a squad of Japs doesn't sit right. Not that he was bad in the role, just can't get my head around it, feel like he should be creeping on a MILF in a bar or something! My favourite war film, by far, is Saving Private Ryan but this was very good and one of the best ones I've seen in a good long time. 8/10.

Vincent vaughn is great at what he does in films like swingers and wedding crushers but as he's getting to old for those parts now what does he have left

Soldato
Lion (2016) 9/10

Fantastic movie!

The amount of emotions I went throughout watching it (mainly sadness) was unreal.

Very much like Slumdog Millionaire with its depiction of India's poverty and abuse (ignoring the common denominator with Dev Patel). Its a very accurate portrayal of the plight of some of India's children and their ability to 'go missing'. A real time fear that both me and my wife always have with our children over here.

The only downside relates to the 3rd quarter of the movie. I did not understand the relevance of Rooney Mara's character, such a well established and serious actress with a bit role.

As a guy in his mid 30s by the time the credits rolled I was in a mess. A proper tear jerker.
I thought it fell really quite flat in the second half, and I was particularly impressed with Dev Patel's performance. I'm not sure that it deserves all the praise it's receiving. There was also a stupid act of God in the second half which got on my nerves.

I've given it a 7 but I'm considering changing to a 6.

Soldato
I thought it fell really quite flat in the second half, and I was particularly impressed with Dev Patel's performance. I'm not sure that it deserves all the praise it's receiving. There was also a stupid act of God in the second half which got on my nerves.

I've given it a 7 but I'm considering changing to a 6.

Yeah someone else who watched it with me said the same.

It could be the 'India' effect on me, the fact that I live here and the absolute desperation in the first half of the movie hit me with a hangover for the remainder.

The flashbacks Dev Patel had of his brother and mother really impacted me, the last scene on the train tracks made me tear up.

In reference to the act of god, are you referring to the jalebi scene?

Soldato
Yeah someone else who watched it with me said the same.

It could be the 'India' effect on me, the fact that I live here and the absolute desperation in the first half of the movie hit me with a hangover for the remainder.

The flashbacks Dev Patel had of his brother and mother really impacted me, the last scene on the train tracks made me tear up.

In reference to the act of god, are you referring to the jalebi scene?
I've visited India too and it was certainly a realistic representation of the country from what I have seen which was interesting to see but didn't particularly invoke my emotions.

I was referring to when he was looking on Google Earth and he sort of magically found his birth place. I didn't find that very believable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Willow Creek, not bad, 6/10 - I like Bigfoot movies!

Willow_Creek_poster.jpg

Soldato
Exists was definitely good too, I did enjoy that.

Les Stroud (Survivorman, series 4 I think) did 6 or so episodes on Bigfoot that is worth watching if you haven't seen it already.

My next Bigfoot movie is going to be ...

220aaapx_Sasquatch_gang.jpg

Back
Top Bottom