What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
I thought I recognised that word from reviews on IMDb, and it turns out I was right and it's used exclusively by another bloke from Australia... which clearly must be you. :p

Correct. :D

What on earth is the Haglee Scale?

An alternative metric for assessing movies. Some people use the */5 scale, some use the */10 scale, and Roger Ebert controversially used his own */4 scale. I use the Haglee Scale. :)

Caporegime
Almost Human.

Written by Joe Begos. Directed by Joe Begos. Cinematography by Joe Begos. Edited by Josh Ethier. Starring Josh Ethier and Kristopher Avedisian.

The year is 1980-something. Seth is hanging out in the woods at night, just doing his thing, when suddenly weird stuff starts to happen. He flees to the house of his friend Marc, and begs for help. Marc is skeptical, and steps outside with a gun to confront... whatever.

Minutes later, Marc is abducted by aliens.

Two years pass. Marc is still missing, Seth is still hanging around town, and Marc's girlfriend is now engaged to some other guy. A pair of hunters stumble across a naked body in the woods, and it turns out to be Marc, who is very much alive but a little worse for wear. That's when the killing starts.

Bodies begin to pile up as the cast is dispatched with commendable variety:

* neck snapped
* shotgun in the face
* throat cut with knife
* throat cut with hacksaw
* shotgun in the back
* axe in the head
* scissors in the head
* head crushed with a rock

I might have missed a few, but you get the idea.

There's a tentacle rape scene that is so outlandish, the protagonist actually stops to watch it for a few seconds before making any attempt to rescue the victim.

Overall, this film was a wasted opportunity to make good on an excellent premise.

I rate Almost Human at 13.32 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a disappointing 4/10 on IMDB.

Associate
The Great Wall

Oh wow that was terrible! I thought this would be a good switch your brain off and enjoy the fight scenes, but when the entire movie is one long fight scene boredom well and truly sets in.

The build up was non existent, the fight scenes were absurd, the characters forgettable, its like half the movie was left on the cutting room floor and instead they just crammed in one long battle.

They had 60 years to prepare for battle and seemed incapable of fighting (they did have the suicidal crane corps :D !) plus they built the wall but no other defences on the approach to said wall!

edit: I just remembered Matt Damon's accent! I cannot remember watching a film where the lead character's accent kept changing from one scene to the next :D

3/10
i thought that film was excellent and really enjoyed it

Associate
Having a free afternoon after some training at work in the morning I'm watching John Wick in memory of Michael Nygvist's (Viggo) passing last night. Great actor who done several great movies :(

PayDay Lover
Associate
Kong: Skull Island.

I watched this movie for what it is; I judged it according to its genre. It was still ****.

2005 Kong was better. Yes it was corny, yes it was silly, but it knew what it was, and it didn't pretend to be anything else. That's why it worked. Pacific Rim was big, and dumb, and proud of it. That's one of the reasons it was so enjoyable.

My wife watched this the other day and funnily enough her first comments to me were: 'Disappointing, not enough cheese'. She likes all these kind of movies for the cheesiness of them, so taking that away leads to bitter disappointment :)

Caporegime
My wife watched this the other day and funnily enough her first comments to me were: 'Disappointing, not enough cheese'. She likes all these kind of movies for the cheesiness of them, so taking that away leads to bitter disappointment :)

2005 Kong worked because of its cheesiness. 2017 Kong failed because it tried to be serious but didn't have the courage of its convictions.

Soldato
OP
Okja on Netflix - 7/10

Tonally quite inconsistent, it starts at as more of a comedy but has some really dark parts to it. Overall though was very entertaining and quite emotional, well acted by all involved and very good CGI. Maybe slightly too long buy only by 15 minutes or so.

Soldato
Power rangers 3/10 pacing was all over, took to long to actually start any formal of power ranger cheese. Just felt very boring and flat in places. Jokes all felt forced. Hope it doesn't get a sequel

Back
Top Bottom