What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Watched the Japanese originals of the Ring and the Grudge. I’ve always held the western remakes in reasonably high regard (well, particularly the Grudge as that is one of my favourite horrors - that film really gave me the willies!!!) so about time I checked them out.

First, the Grudge. Seems that the American remake was about 2/3 of the Japanese version... but by far aware the best 2/3rds. The Japanese one feels more like an anthology with a few bonus stories. The Japanese one also has a really odd ending and actually suggests quite a different series of events than the version I’m used to!

My take was either it was actually the father that was the malevolent ghost and the others were just echoing the pain they went through.... or that there was no real driving personality of evil - it was just an overbearing sadness that cursed the house.

Ultimately I think the American version was more satisfying but it was really cool to see the extra story and extra characters. Fleshed it out a little!

As for the Ring. Well, tbh I wasn’t really that fussed on the Japanese version - WAY overhyped. Started off well but the noticeable difference was that there were a lot more ‘fantastic’ elements in the Japanese version:

Volcanos... hinting that the father wasn’t human... the male lead having special powers :confused: that last one I found really confusing.

Sure, the Hollywood version is a lot more ‘slick’ and people clearly don’t like that but the Japanese version didn’t add anything other than a few ‘ookie’ elements, as said in the spoiler.

I’d say check out the Japanese Grudge but skip the Japanese Ring.

On a plus, the Ring did have an epic out of place dance tune during the credits. Had a little bop to that :p :o

Associate
I watched a 2015 movie called "Knock knock". It starred Kneeu Reeves and 2 sexy female actresses (the seducers). It was an erotic thriller and only later did I realize it was the remake of the (in)famous 1977 erotic thriller called "Death Game" aka "The Seducers"; I hadn't seen the original way back when and I must admit, after watching it on my tablet, I liked both movies. Obviously, the quality of the original does not match the remake, but the acting was a wee bit better and less cheesy than the original.
MV5BMWE4NmM0OTMtZDIwNy00MTY2LTllNDktODQ5NTIxOTJhZmZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR82,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

knock_knock_ver2.jpg

Associate
X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019) - 6/10

A flat ending to the series which should have been so much better. It has good pacing, plenty of action, good special effects and music, but overall, it lacks impact.

The story isn’t particularly engaging or interesting, and the character development was nothing new.

The acting and dialogue was a bit wooden at times, and the villain was completely underused and almost unnecessary.

Soldato
Godzilla 2014 - I dont know why some people kept telling me it was not very good, I enjoyed it.
The only few issues I had was 1. The cast was not very good, 2. They killed off bryan cranston withing the first hour and he was the best actor they had.
6.5/10

Avenger endgame 8/10 I enjoyed it, the 2nd half was one of the best.
I was wondering what happened to milner thor's hammer after cap took it and after the soul stone was returned could black widow come back (soul for a soul),

Ma - I thought it was of 6/10
They tried to take idea for get out but the ending could have been a little better, message to the story was good.

in the past 2 weeks

Shazam - 6.5/10 Was good enjoyed it.
I like it because it was different, Started of good.

The problems
1. I thought the kids got dumber as the movie went on.
2. the ending was a little boring
3. Felt a little dumbed down they could have done a little better.

Captain marvel - 6.7
Had good story I enjoyed it but nothing really made it different to any of the others other then nick fury but this made me want a nick fury stand alone movie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched the Japanese originals of the Ring and the Grudge. I’ve always held the western remakes in reasonably high regard (well, particularly the Grudge as that is one of my favourite horrors - that film really gave me the willies!!!) so about time I checked them out.

First, the Grudge. Seems that the American remake was about 2/3 of the Japanese version... but by far aware the best 2/3rds. The Japanese one feels more like an anthology with a few bonus stories. The Japanese one also has a really odd ending and actually suggests quite a different series of events than the version I’m used to!

My take was either it was actually the father that was the malevolent ghost and the others were just echoing the pain they went through.... or that there was no real driving personality of evil - it was just an overbearing sadness that cursed the house.

Ultimately I think the American version was more satisfying but it was really cool to see the extra story and extra characters. Fleshed it out a little!

As for the Ring. Well, tbh I wasn’t really that fussed on the Japanese version - WAY overhyped. Started off well but the noticeable difference was that there were a lot more ‘fantastic’ elements in the Japanese version:

Volcanos... hinting that the father wasn’t human... the male lead having special powers :confused: that last one I found really confusing.

Sure, the Hollywood version is a lot more ‘slick’ and people clearly don’t like that but the Japanese version didn’t add anything other than a few ‘ookie’ elements, as said in the spoiler.

I’d say check out the Japanese Grudge but skip the Japanese Ring.

On a plus, the Ring did have an epic out of place dance tune during the credits. Had a little bop to that :p :o
I've never seen the Grudge but I may give it a watch if its as good as the ring,

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019) - 6/10

A flat ending to the series which should have been so much better. It has good pacing, plenty of action, good special effects and music, but overall, it lacks impact.

The story isn’t particularly engaging or interesting, and the character development was nothing new.

The acting and dialogue was a bit wooden at times, and the villain was completely underused and almost unnecessary.
Im starting to think xmen will never get beyond first 2 good movies.

The other problems I see are.
1. Sophie turner was not a good choice, other then the red hair she had nothing even the acting was phoned in.
2. The character was not built, if you going to build a movie around someone at least build up the character a little.
3. Last xman phoenix left a bad taste so they should have taken a little more time and care with this one, maybe have this movie about something else this time and show glimpse and build up for the next one.

Associate
I Am Mother (2019 - Netflix) 7.5/10

Good performances, interesting premise. I felt they could've made a little more of the story though - it just kind of fizzles out towards the end.

Last edited:
Caporegime
3. Last xman phoenix left a bad taste so they should have taken a little more time and care with this one, maybe have this movie about something else this time and show glimpse and build up for the next one.

Redlettermedia pointed out that in Apocalypse, Xavier was encouraging Jean to unleash her full powers and when she did it looked like Phoenix, but in this film (set later) she actually gets those powers. Doesn't make sense.

Man of Honour
@2013 yeah man the Grudge was the first film to really unsettle me, as an adult too. That film is just relentlessly full of ‘DO NOT WANT’.

Of course, you do have to get over the fact it has Sarah Michelle Gellar in it :p

The only other film to genuinely unsettle me is Hereditary. There’s just something about the way those films conjure up this horrible sense of looming dread.... oh and in the case of the Grudge ghosts seem to be my kryptonite :o :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Heh I’m not sure whether I read things on here and then I subconsciously get inspired or it’s a complete coincidence....

I just finished watching ‘Mother!’

Now, I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s ‘absolutely terrible’ but it is by far away one of the most annoying and frustrating films I’ve ever watched, perhaps intentionally so but goddam that was annoying.

Watch it for an ‘experience’ maybe but brace your jimmies for the hard and heavy rustling.

3/10

Last edited:
Caporegime
Heh I’m not sure whether I read things on here and then I subconsciously get inspired or it’s a complete coincidence....

I just finished watching ‘Mother!’

Now, I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s ‘absolutely terrible’ but it by far away one of the most annoying and frustrating films I’ve ever watched, perhaps intentionally so but goddam that was annoying.

Watch it for an ‘experience’ maybe but brace your jimmies for the hard and heavy rustling.

3/10

I got through I dunno how long...felt quite long and paused and expected to be half way and to be presented with 1 hr 11 mins left... and thought “no thanks”

Your feedback may have saved me wasting an hour of my life on it. I was going to go back to it but may not now.

Not going to give it a grade but life is short.

Man of Honour
I got through I dunno how long...felt quite long and paused and expected to be half way and to be presented with 1 hr 11 mins left... and thought “no thanks”

Your feedback may have saved me wasting an hour of my life on it. I was going to go back to it but may not now.

Not going to give it a grade but life is short.
My face and Ms. Nitefly’s face were like two wrinkled bum holes the whole way through.

Such rustling of our jimmies.

Back
Top Bottom