What film did you watch last night?

Don
^^^ Looking forward to the sequel coming out later this year.

Bad Boys for Life - 7/10
Entertaining enough, some decent action scenes, but not much in the way of laughs.

Interesting tit bit, the guy that plays the bad guy is actually British and has starred in such things as Holby City and Bob the Builder.

Soldato
Doctor Sleep - 8/10...possibly a higher score if not for some iffy cgi in parts.

This is a weird one for me, a sequel I wasnt really bothered about. I'm so glad it got made though, struggle to say anything bad about it.

I'm not a massive The Shining fan although I do quite like it and this ties everything together well.

3 hours long and I wasn't bored for a moment.

Rebecca Ferguson is lovely.

Caporegime
John Wick 2 (Netflix) and John Wick 3 (Prime)

Not much point reviewing them separately as they're a continuous story that blurs into one. I feel like I should like these movies more, I like high octane films with masses of excessive violence, and a healthy side of the gonzo. But somehow this doesn't quite hang together. The fight scenes, although varied, just don't have the necessary weight to them and the choreography constantly feels a little flat. Part of it I think is that Keanu is simply not convincing as this ultimate killer character, something that is particularly telling when he is fighting against actors who are genuine martial artists in their own right.

John Wick 2, 5/10 Watchable when you're feeling too poorly to do much else
John Wick 3, 4/10 Outstays its welcome and gets dull even when you're feeling too poorly to do much else

Caporegime
The Invisible Man

Meh, for a movie with a near 2 hour run time it seems to me they could have done more with it. Some parts of the trailer aren't even in the movie (the part where she sees the depressions on the chair and says he's sitting there is one that comes to mind). Not really any scares either, for a movie that you would think would have some given someone with an invisible suit on is running about.

4/10

Associate
Uncut Gems (2019) - 5/10

An odd story of the amoral dealings of a jeweler and the resulting turmoil in his personal and professional lives.

Superb performance by Sandler as the unlikeable Jew who risks it all to make it big through a story filled with chaos and irrelevances.

The background noise and music at the start is annoying, but the filming style used is quite effective and I thought the ending was fitting.

Commissario
The Invisible Man

Meh, for a movie with a near 2 hour run time it seems to me they could have done more with it. Some parts of the trailer aren't even in the movie (the part where she sees the depressions on the chair and says he's sitting there is one that comes to mind). Not really any scares either, for a movie that you would think would have some given someone with an invisible suit on is running about.

4/10
I saw it last night as well, not sure I agree with you about the scares (then again is it supposed to be a scary movie?)

The part with the paint being thrown over him made me jump!

I enjoyed it, would give it a 7/10 and would've scored it higher had it not been for...

...the whole ending just felt too predictable and disjointed from the rest of the film, was a bit of a let down. But was good that she got revenge I suppose.

Associate
I've not seen it but did read an article about the facial prosthetics Charlize Theron had to change her appearance, it's quite impressive how real it looks.
Its shockingly good. But makes you constantly think "Is that Charlize?" :D

Apparently when it was screened many people thought she was Elizabeth Banks!

Soldato
Jumanji The Next Level - 7½/10

I'm tempted even to give it an 8. It really surprised me how much I enjoyed it, more so than the first even. The Rock and Kevin Hart are fantastic as the old guys early on. Some good humour, a reasonable enough story and as said, actually some great acting.

Soldato
So I finally watched Parasite last night, what a fantastic film that was!

I knew I'd like it just not how much. So many layers of detail in the story, I loved how it didn't feel like it had a traditional beginning, middle and end but it completely worked for it. Becuase of that I didn't ever think about how far through I must be. Definitely better having known pretty much nothing about it before going in.

I definitely recommend it.

Caporegime
Midsommar.

Didn't know anything about it, other than it got a good critical reception. I don't think i'd even seen the trailer.

Enjoyed it, very weird/unsettling in parts. Florence Pugh is really good.

Seems like there is a longer directors cut but I saw the theatrical version. 8/10

Soldato
Godzilla: King of Monsters 4/10 what a wasted effort. The first film required 2 elements of suspension of disbelief, big monsters exist, the absorb and crave radiation. Fine Everything else worked nicely around these two concepts. King of Monsters what a crock of absurdium. Monarch has 60+ secret sites and all these monsters, a private army, super weapons and the Worlds Governments are in the dark. WTF!! Eco loons and doomsday cult like plot devices. WTF!! The monsters were ok the fights weren't quite as emotionally involving as the first film. Although the hydra monster CGI seemed crap more Skyrim than A+ budget movie. But the motivations of the human characters were all over the place total nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom