1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, 2 Sep 2009.

1. PC777

Hitman

Already have a few times, along with most other books I could get my hands on about the space race. The Right Stuff is actually the one that got me started me on being a space exploration book fan, I read the Electric Kool Aid acid test first and really wanted to read more Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff is totally different but a truly excellent book in its own right.

My other highly recommended space race/space exploration books:

A Man on The Moon by Andrew Chaikin

Space Race The Battle To Rule The Heavens

Moon Dust by Andrew Smith (Awesome book about the feel of being in space and on the Moon)

Red Moon Rising

Too Far From Home

Magnificent Desolation by Buzz Aldrin

All highly recommended by me.

2. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Transformers: The Last knight. I was pleasantly surprised and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Im tempted to go 10/10 just because I enjoyed it so much but hmm 7-8/10

3. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Williams

A feature length documentary on Frank Williams, his family, and his F1 team. Very much a puff piece but if you're, like me, a big F1 fan then it's very much worth a watch.

8/10 for big F1 fans, probably about a 5 for anyone else

4. richyfingers

Wise Guy

My Octopus Teacher. I guess more of a feature length documentary of sorts. I thought it was amazing. Utterly engaging and so incredibly touching. I can't believe I had tears in my eyes watching a documentary about an octopus.

5. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Mortal Engines

Apparently the biggest flop in history, I don't think it deserves that accolade. The setting is absolute screaming nonsense, but I rather enjoy that. Giant cities on wheels chasing each other, what's not to love? It's missing a lot of the charm and nuance of the books, and has turned into a simple action/fantasy narrative but it's still a decent enough yarn with a unique visual style.

Don't think too hard and you'll enjoy the ride 6/10

6. Earth[Tera].bin

Wise Guy

Noticed this on Netflix but passed by on it with a 'what the hell' moment, but just Googled it after your post and it's pretty well received. So will give it a watch now - Cheers.

*Just asked the other half if she wanted to watch a film about a Man and an Octopus - she replied 'Eh!' ( definitely a hard sell, it's happening though :p)

Last edited: 30 Sep 2020
  7. Freakbro

Capodecina

Greyhound - 7.5 / 10

8. Begbie

Caporegime

They just ripped off star wars. Awful movie, that could've easily been good with the premise.

9. nands

Mobster

Joker - gripped throughout, thought this was very well made! 4/5

10. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Thanks for the tip on this, watched last night and really enjoyed it.

11. Jono8

Caporegime

yeh i watched this the other day. It was ok. Geared a bit more towards children/teenagers i think, but was sort of watchable.

Not sure Henry was the right pick for Sherlock. It did look a bit ridiculous having a ridiculously jacked Sherlock Holmes, and he appeared to be playing a slightly softer version of the Witcher, character wise :p.

I would say 5/10 personally.

12. tracertong

Wise Guy

The Omen (1976) - The acting is superb in this , had forgotten how good it was actually. Everyone brought their A game and what a cast we have - Gregory Peck (in an oscar worthy performance) , Lee Remick , Billy Whitelaw , David Warner and Patrick Troughton. Not to mention how creepy Damien is played by the young Harvey Stephens. Great direction from Richard Donner and an oscar winning score from Jerry Goldsmith.

A film that has actually aged really well.

9/10

13. rotters

Soldato

I have watched:

The untouchables..7/10
    The Wee Man..8/10
    Legend..8.5/10
    The Irshman..5/10
    The Gentleman 9/10
    Uncut Gems..6.5/10
    Training Day 10/10

Next up is...A Bronx Tale.

14. Nabeshogun

Gangster

Yeah even some of the little things, like how Thomas Wayne was portrayed I found to be an interesting take... hard to say much without spoiling it for those that haven't watched it yet, but I'd definitely recommend that one.

15. nands

Mobster

16. Scam

Capodecina

The Gentlemen - 5/10

A decent story but Guy Ritchie has obviously gone so Hollywood he can't hear a real accent to save his life. Half of them were plain awful. Seemed like a caricature of his old movies. I agree with Kermode. Shame.

17. barmyllama

Man of Honour

Went to our local Odeon yesterday to watch Tenent, which if it hadn't been for vouchers we get from our current account, would cost an eyewatering £27 for two people plus £2.20 to park.

Anyway the film was pretty good, if a little hard to follow at times. Overall I got the gist of what was going on, but there were loads of times when I was questioning why the characters were where they were and why. The sound mixing didn't help either with dialogue frequently drowned out or muffled by masks.

Like a lot of people I need to watch it again at some point.

Not one of Nolan's best, but better than most of the Hollywood super hero churn we've been bombarded with for years.

A solid 7/10

18. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

The Matador

Comedy crime thriller

Pearce Brosnan plays a contract killer facing life issues as he enters closer to retirement

Very good film watched this again after seeing back at release in 2005 such a contrasting, daring and entertaining role for him to play after the bond movies.

8/10

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Oct 2020
  19. Jono8

Caporegime

The Gentleman

8/10

Really enjoyed it. Thought it was very entertaining.

I don't get some of the reviews. They seem to be trying to make out that it was supposed to be more than just a ridiculously camp and over the top gangster caper...:confused:

Hugh Grant was excellent. Very unsettling to see him play such a different character to what he normally plays :D

20. MookJong

Sgarrista

Edge of Darkness - 2010

Adaptation of the 80s BBC drama with a number of scenes directly translated and nodded to. In the era of the Taken style films I always thought this one had more solid writing and some gritty set pieces. It had 55% on Rotten Tomatoes and not much love. I thought I would give it another go as I liked it first time around in 2010 and still really enjoyed it for what it was now. Mel Gibson's Boston accent is a bit odd is my only gripe.

The BBC drama is well worth a watch to compare and contrast.

7/10