What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Late night Netflix "Switch brain off an watch whatever")

Now I will say I enjoyed the first couple of films in the franchise but what on earth was this abomination?!

I can't really tell if I or the cast were more bored throughout..

If possible I would give this a negative score out of ten.

Caporegime
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Late night Netflix "Switch brain off an watch whatever")

Now I will say I enjoyed the first couple of films in the franchise but what on earth was this abomination?!

I can't really tell if I or the cast were more bored throughout..

If possible I would give this a negative score out of ten.

Agreed, I actually kind of like the series but the last one is dreadful. So many random retcons and plotholes (they randomly change the name of the scientist and his daughter from Apocalypse?!?)

I watched Oxygen last night on Netflix, a kind of Buried Alive but a sci-fi take on it. It's nothing revolutionary but the main actress is excellent, a solid 7/10

Man of Honour
Deliverance (1972)

First time I've watched from the very start to the very end.

Stands the test of time.

Hats of to the four main actors who did all of their own stunts....without any insurance.

Apparently Burt Reynolds broke his coccyx sliding down the rapids. They originally used a dummy and it looked rubbish, so Reynolds did it for real. Afterwards he asked how it looked and was told "like dummy going over a waterfall"

8/10

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'd give Oxygen an easy 7.5 purely for the lead's performance alone and the movie being pure Sci-Fi with no side-nonsense.

The IMDB top review (spoiler-free) is exactly how I felt about it:

My recommendation: avoid spoilers like the plague and don't even read many reviews. This film is best experienced as a wild ride.

I simply love how creative it was. Excellent filmmaking required to make a movie set 99% of the time in a cryogenic chamber riveting and suspenseful, though a huge amount of the credit for that goes to the lead actress. I've never seen her in anything before but she was simply phenomenal. Without her this could have gone a different way but if nothing else watch it for her performance.

This is what sci-fi is meant to be: exploring how our current and future technologies affect the human condition. The details of the science itself are certainly fascinating but what it gets right is showing what that means for humanity as a whole AND the individual, and what it means for our future. I see that lacking in a lot of sci-fi and so it's always refreshing to see.

I can understand where some of the negative reviews are coming from but in my (naturally subjective) opinion they simply don't outweigh the good and in many cases are wrong. If you love true sci-fi, give it a chance. I doubt you'll be disappointed in the lead actress's performance and it will make up for any doubts you may have on the rest of it.

Associate
Agreed, I actually kind of like the series but the last one is dreadful. So many random retcons and plotholes (they randomly change the name of the scientist and his daughter from Apocalypse?!?)

I watched Oxygen last night on Netflix, a kind of Buried Alive but a sci-fi take on it. It's nothing revolutionary but the main actress is excellent, a solid 7/10

They wasn't really going canon with the movie franchise though to be fair, the first couple were ok films though.

This is going to be canon: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6920084/

Looking forward to it!

ougogUWQKKh4nTHBg8ihe8-1200-80.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Caporegime
Yeah I really hope the reboot is good (although unlike others I hope it isn't too faithful to the game, most of the story in the game is absolutely nonsense. I'd like a middle ground with more horror less Hollywood action and less inconsistencies. Kaya is the best though, so happy she was cast.

Soldato
Brightburn

Remember watching the trailer a while ago, no idea why I had had this memory of it being being a dark comedy.

Anyway, thought the premise and idea was very interesting but as a whole it lacked on execution of it.

6/10

Associate
Timecrimes - I didn't like the main character, after he did things he lost my sympathy. Would have liked a bit more to it. A bit slapstick at times. An ok time loop story. 5/10

Oxygen - I liked this a lot. The lead was excellent. It was tense at times, especially the end. 9/10

Soldato
My Octopus Teacher 9/10

Absolutely incredible nature documentary/drama about a guy who, following what sounds like a nervous breakdown, has a year long relationship with a wild Octopus. Not only is the film stunning in its cinematography the story itself is incredibly touching. On Netflix now.

Associate
My Octopus Teacher 9/10

Absolutely incredible nature documentary/drama about a guy who, following what sounds like a nervous breakdown, has a year long relationship with a wild Octopus. Not only is the film stunning in its cinematography the story itself is incredibly touching. On Netflix now.

Watched it this afternoon, enjoyed it a lot, quite remarkable really.

Soldato
As the cinemas are opening again tomorrow I've just booked a seat, with my still functional Limitless card, for The Terminator at 2100 on Tuesday. I saw this the day it was released in the UK in 1985 and it's the film I've seen the most so am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen again 26 years later.

Permabanned
What do you mean the 90's weren't 20 years ago! LIES! :p

Vivarium was ok, I liked it.

Aren't we all in a bit of a preordained routine? go to school for 13 years, either get a job or go onto higher education, get a job, get a gf/wife, get a nest/home. Pay your bills and taxes till you die.

Back
Top Bottom