What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Continuing my run of watching random films on Netflix:

Beyond Skyline and Skylines

Both were perfectly serviceable action sci-fi romps whilst doing nothing special.

I also enjoyed Office Uprising way more than I should have done.

Associate
I can only find one or two articles, don't see how it has been 'torn apart' at all, all it is is one audio recording saying that those playing the role of guards need to be, well proper guards as part of the scenario. Not sure how that makes it a sham? Of course they're going to be told to play that role and create a real prison like environment. But how much they got into those roles and how carried away they got all seemed very real to me. They must be some incredible actors then?

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/13/17449118/stanford-prison-experiment-fraud-psychology-replication

https://nypost.com/2018/06/14/famed-stanford-prison-experiment-was-a-fraud-scientist-says/

https://thesixfifty.com/was-the-sta...who-exposed-the-celebrated-study-17e5ba0eedef

Take from that what you will.

Associate
Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021) - 7/10

A completely run of the mill action thriller with enough action, drama, special effects and suspense to help you overlook the weak story.

The plot is poor, predictable and nothing new but the film does what it sets out to do and does it relatively well.

There’s a good cast with good acting and character development, but it is the setting, spectacular scenery and realistic special effects that really steal the show.

Soldato
Demon Slayer Mugen Train 10/10

Continuation of the anime series. The animation was stunning, the story was on point with anime series and hit all the right points and the music was fantastic and so fitting.

Soldato
Just watched now you see me for the first time. 6/10. Interesting and I'll give the second one a go. Not on my rewatch list though, which is where I reserve my 7/10 and up score!

Soldato
The Final Countdown (1980)

Watched loads of times and still one of my favorites. Due in 4k soon.

I watched this last night for the first time. It was pretty entertaining and nice to see some classic actors, sheen and Douglas. Pretty cool story line once it got going.

The UHD Bluray was pretty grainy but overall a decent picture.

Soldato
L.A. Confidential

Sublime film. What happens when every component of the film is done exceptionally well.

The 90s set a really high standard for cop films, having this film and Heat released within a couple of years of each other. I don't think anything has come close since.

9/10

Man of Honour
Hounds of Love (2016)

A couple who kidnap and terrorise a young woman in the suburbs of Perth, and was loosely based upon the crimes of David and Catherine Birnie.

Came across this film on the Arrow Video website when buying Thief (1981)

Pretty intense in places, uncomfortably so at times. All in all, well worth a watch.

7.5/10

Caporegime
I've met Jason Isaacs. He's quite scary (tall, loud, posh) although maybe that's because I spent the whole conversation trying to say how I work with a friend of his and thought I should just say "hello" (if you know, you know..) :p

I love the buffet line :D
Trawling through the thread to note down some films to line up. He was a guest speaker at one of our weekly Zoom briefs by the CEO (Great Ormond Street Hospital). Hilarious! Told some pretty funny stories/anecdotes forgetting we're a children's hospital - definitely a potty mouth :p. The CEO looked like his heart dropped a couple of times.

Soldato
Trawling through the thread to note down some films to line up. He was a guest speaker at one of our weekly Zoom briefs by the CEO (Great Ormond Street Hospital). Hilarious! Told some pretty funny stories/anecdotes forgetting we're a children's hospital - definitely a potty mouth :p. The CEO looked like his heart dropped a couple of times.
Heh yeah I guess he is a bit of a potty mouth but I was at a private party so not an issue (woo get me). Did anyone say "hello" to him? :D

Is this out on Netflix etc now? I had high hopes but reviews have been poor:(

Don

A completely run of the mill action thriller with enough action, drama, special effects and suspense to help you overlook the weak story.

The plot is poor, predictable and nothing new but the film does what it sets out to do and does it relatively well.

There’s a good cast with good acting and character development, but it is the setting, spectacular scenery and realistic special effects that really steal the show.
Yep, completely agree with this:

Those Who Wish Me Dead 7/10
Decent enough, and a bonus point for tugging at the heart strings, but nothing particularly original.

Man of Honour
Army of the Dead (2021)

It was ok.

I didn't really care enough about any of the characters to be bothered if they got picked off by a zombie or not. So there wasn't any tension for me during any of the fights and battles. You could easily predict who was going to get picked off and when and the ending was pretty much a given from the off.

Wasn't a fan of the narrow/short focus lens used in a lot of shots either. Or the run time. It could've easily been cut down to two hours or less without sacrificing anything.

I also felt the tone of the film was a mixed bag and couldn't make up its mind if it was serious or not. It was like they tried to mix Zombieland with The Walking Dead.

Worth a watch, but a doubt I'd ever rewatch it.

6/10

Soldato
Super 8 (2011)

A good classic style sci-fi movie. The kids acting were great, action was big budget solid and overall fun movie . 7/10

4K BR transfer looked crisp, a very filmic looking movie and the sound was also on point.

Back
Top Bottom