1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, 2 Sep 2009.

1. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I watched a couple of horror films that I could vaguely recall from my teenage years. They both turned out to be made by ‘Dark Castle’ productions... which should have rang alarm bells based on the horrendous video game of the same name!

Both are somewhat notable for having really good elements visually but dropping the ball hard elsewhere.

It’s a shame that more ‘fun horrors’ aren’t released now.

The House on Haunted Hill (1999)

I watched this to show my wife the hilarious roller coaster section, which is just too funny.

Otherwise, there are some really fun bits of this film mixed with horrible, horrible execution. I really liked the ultra camp ‘villains’ and their wholly comic book dialogue. There were also some interesting visuals from time to time. But, otherwise it was an absolute mess. The whole ‘evil doctor’ storyline and murders was seemingly dropped for a random ‘grey ghost blob’ without really any explanation. There was so much aimless wondering around with flashlights... my god.

Really quite terrible with fun sections. Watchable if you are up for something ‘bad’.

4.5/10

Thirteen Ghosts (2001)

In many ways similar to the above. Some really great sets in this one with some really dumb / goofy ghost designs... some humour in the shallow as a puddle cast but then just emptiness beneath it all and one of the most ridiculous ‘nothing’ endings I have seen in memory (the baddy is defeated by some DJ scratching) and the lead character doing... nothing. More aimless infuriating corridor meandering... but a little more bearable this time.

5/10

2. krooton

Caporegime

I do however commend them for creating actual lore for all the ghosts.

https://13ghosts.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Zodiac#The_Thirteen_Ghosts

3. marl

Mobster

Tend to agree with this - watchable film but found the plot very hard to follow. I found it so confusing that I almost gave up on it half way through...

4. kona786

Capodecina

My Fair Lady (1964)

What a nice change of pace. First watch of this musical classic and it didn't disappoint. Loved the vintage setting, acting, wardrobe and voices. A superb performance by Rex Harrison.

Watched on 4K BLURAY. WOW is an understatement, it's almost 3D! One of the absolute best transfers, in the same league as Jaws and Apocalypse Now. The picture is absolutely lush and it's a major reason why I enjoyed watching the film.

5. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

Wrath of Man

6/10

It was alright and enjoyed certain parts, but did find it a little slow and was expecting more action. Statham playing the part he always plays but does a ok job at it.

Liked the Johnny Cash soundtrack bit in the film

6. barmyllama

Man of Honour

Matchstick Men (2003)

Nicolas Cage and Sam Rockwell play a couple of con artists scamming people in Los Angeles. A bit of a dark comedy directed by Ridley Scott.

Cage is well cast as Rockwell's partner and mentor with OCD. Who's life is turned upside down when he looses his meds down the sink and then finds out he has a 14 year old daughter who wants to meet him for the first time.

Sam Rockwell is always a pleasure to watch and the film is just one of those that's easily overlooked but deserves to be seen.

I would've also said that the young actress playing the daughter was fantastic, but she was 24 at the time and so not quite as impressive. But still good.

8/10

7. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Wrath of Man 6.5/10.

Better than i thought it would be. Also seemed a bit strange that we were kept guessing on the insider and the heist team, only for it to be shoved in our faces all at once. It went a bit downhill and predictable from there, but the final heist was pretty cool.

Josh Hartnett was wasted as was Niamh Algar (she was great in Raised by Wolves!)

8. TurtleTwo

Hitman

I honestly thought it was a 9/10, really enjoyed it how it all panned out and the direction.

She was also great in The Virtues, with Stephen Graham, highly recommend watching it if you haven't. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7186126/

9. Combat Fighter

Soldato

Wrath of Man

5/10

Was expecting more and the ending was pretty naff. One of GR worst films.

10. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Guess you've never seen Revolver

11. Combat Fighter

Soldato

Yes I have. But I did say ‘one of’. I was just expecting more considering GR last film the Gentleman was excellent. I just built my expectations up to much tbh as I do like JS films.

12. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Yeah I know, just really don't even remotely like Revolver ;)

The Gentlemen was utterly brilliant though.

13. sbweightman

Hitman

Godzilla Vs. Kong (2021) - 6/10

Silly but in a good way, it’s an entertaining ‘popcorn’ action movie that does exactly what you expect it to do.

Combining the 2 franchises means none of the cast really get much screen time and the villains are really undeveloped and one dimensional, but it does allow the film to have both a comedy team bumbling around and a family orientated emotional side.

The titans look great and the special effects are good, although the more human mannerisms are off-putting and the fight scenes in the city were just a blur of grey amongst the neon buildings.

The overarching plot was ok and I liked the hidden world scenes, but the actual story details were rubbish and the younger age rating really limits what it could have done.

14. ianh

Soldato

Wrath of Man - 5/10 - Not Guy Richie's or Statham's best work by a long way but mindlessly entertaining at least. Enjoyed getting more backstory about "the bad guys" than you would normally in a film like this (not just nameless goons) but the story was pretty poor overall TBH.

Shadow in the Clouds - 1/10 - Chloe Grace Moretz is initially quite interesting for the first 1/3 of this fantasy WW2 based film, then it takes a very VERY hard nose-dive into modern gender politics with Men being the weak and feeble bad guys (even the "good" ones) leaving the single Strong Female Protagonist to solve every problem, beat every Man, kill the ultimate evil and save the day all whilst breastfeeding a baby. I wouldn't have an issue if the film was at least good aside from the gender stuff but it's poorly made, poorly scripted, has poor CGI and just isn't a very good film overall so the gender stuff is just a final nail in an already well nailed shut coffin.

15. neviditelny

Wise Guy

Where can I see Wrath of Man?

16. Calm

Hitman

I feel like this could have been fun in a over the top, silly sort of way, but the gender crap was ridiculous.

17. AndyCr15

Capodecina

JustWatch will tell you the ways people see TV and movies... or if it doesn't tell you... then neither can we :)

18. turbot1984

Wise Guy

Split.
    James McAvoy is red hot playing several split personalities.
    Will dig out my Raising Cain DVD soon, the similar Brian de Palma classic.

19. sbweightman

Hitman

A Quiet Place Part II (2020) - 6 / 10

Very similar to the first part, but it lacks tension and suspense - I never really engaged with the characters and never felt the fear or threat they obviously did thanks to their great acting performances.

There’s some effective jump scares and the creatures look impressively menacing, but it just feels as though it’s lacking overall.

The simple plot gives no answers and offers no surprises and although it changes things up a bit, it loses some of what made it special along the way.

20. TurtleTwo

Hitman

Not seen it yet but looking forward to it, surpising you say that as I've read lots of positive reviews and people saying it's better than the first.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_part_ii